View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina Evacuees in San Antonio seeking work

AngieBaby1228
09-05-05, 12:20 AM
Hello All,
My name is Angie. My boyfriend and I are from Slidell, LA where the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over directly. We evacuated to San Antonio, TX where his brother resides. At home, we hear there is still no power and it may not be restored for some weeks. They do not want us to come home because there is nothing but suffering and unliveable conditions waiting. My boyfriend, Corey, worked in New Orleans East which is now under water. We had no idea the devastation would be this vast. We don't know when we will be able to return to work or if there is work to return to. We are here in San Antonio indefinately and funds are running low. We have decided that we will work odd jobs in the area to raise money to get home, for food and supplies for our loved ones at home, and to make ends meet for the time being. If you or anyone you know in the San Antonio area needs odd jobs done such as lawn care, house cleaning, baby sitting, car washing, walking dogs - ANYTHING, please contact me via pm (personal info removed by moderator, please see forum guidelines about safety). WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR HANDOUTS. Any leads or reccomendations will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also I would like to thank everyone who has donated their time and/or money to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, Goodwill or any other organization supporting this relief. This is an extremely difficult time for everyone and ANYTHING you do to help is very commendable.

minn306
09-05-05, 12:29 AM
I sure wish I could help you out but I live in Minnesota. I want to wish you the very best with everything

EYEFORGOT
09-05-05, 10:51 AM
I'm so glad you're safe! And thank goodness you had a place to go.

I'm dashing out the door, but right off the top of my head go to the white pages there. At the front of the phone book should be a whole page of community services. I'm sure if you explain the situation they'll be able to direct you to the right people. Just a start.

Nucking_Futs
09-05-05, 01:58 PM
Angie,

I did a post search and found that you were a student in LA.

I thought this might be of some interest to you.

Not only is the University of Nebraska offering to assist you in transfering credits, financial aid, housing, food, classes but they will assist you in getting here and transfering back when the colleges are back on their feet. You can pick of any of their four locations.

University of Nebraska (http://admissions.unl.edu/apply/katrinarelief.asp)

Its not a hand out, its a hand up.

Glad to hear you are ok, keep us updated please
Cherity

ps my Pm box is open should you need to contact me.