View Full Version : How do you find the best docs?

alagirl
09-07-05, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure where to ask this: but is there a place in this forum where people talk specifically about doctors who are good with ADD patients in each state? We're looking for someone who is up-to-date and works with adults in Denver, CO.

mctavish23
09-07-05, 06:47 PM
Hi,

I can't specifically answer your question, as I'm a licensed (Clinical/Child ) psychologist myself in Minnesota. I also have a severe case of ADHD Combined type. However, I can give you some direction.

I would contact the Colorado Psychological Association and ask if they have a Statewide Referral Service. If so, which LP's have listed ADHD as one of their professional competancies. Hopefully, they have a website.If not, then APA (American Psychological Assoc) might be able to help.

The same thing can be done for medical docs with the state Medical Association. Usually,professional associations are in the state capitol or a nearby suburb.

One other way is to go to www.chadd.org and check out their listings of professionals from your state. The professionals listed are mostly psychologist's who have either a professional or institutional membership and have paid an additional fee to become listed.

I'm deliberately not listed in my state, as it would require me to leave the Forum due to the ethical concern of a possible conflict of interest regarding the potential for the solicitation of clients .

I don't know if the clinician's listed are "really good" or not, but at least you'll get some names to start with.

Good luck.:)

mctavish23 (Robert)

scuro
09-07-05, 07:22 PM
Word of mouth....or try asking a Spec Ed teacher. A good one has read many reports and can tell you which ones they like.

Tara
09-07-05, 07:29 PM
One of the biggest concerns that I hear from adults with ADD is that they can't find a professional who really understands adult ADD. Many people begin with their primary care physician or go through their insurance company to try to get evaluated and/or treated for adult ADD. Some very lucky people do find great professionals on their first try but the majority of people sadly do not. Instead they become even more frustrated which often leads to them not getting any help for their ADD.

There are some ways to find professionals who actually "get adult ADD":

Online Listings: There are some websites with listings of professionals who treat adults with ADD. ADDA, the World's Leading Adult AD/HD Organization has a growing Professional Directory of people who treat adults with ADD. ADD Consults, the First And Only Virtual Online AD/HD Clinic also has a professional directory. In addition to the professional directory, Terry Matlen, MSW, ACSW also offers consultations in which she can help people find professionals.

ADD Coaches: In addition to all of the other benefits people can get from working with an ADD Coach they can also get help locating professionals who can diagnose and help treat them. Many ADD Coaches network with other ADD Professionals around the country and the world.

Word of Mouth: Try to locate other Adults with ADD who live locally. Many ADD Professionals who do understand adult ADD don't advertise their services. Many don't need to because they get plenty of referrals by word of mouth. Joining local ADD Support Groups is a great ways to not only get support but get recommendations for professionals who can diagnose and treat Adults with ADD. Adult ADD Meetups are similar to support groups and their Adult ADD Meetup Website allow for people to communicate with other local adults with ADD.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/ (http://ezinearticles.com/)

Andrew
09-07-05, 10:19 PM
One of the biggest concerns that I hear from adults with ADD is that they can't find a professional who really understands adult ADD. Many people begin with their primary care physician or go through their insurance company to try to get evaluated and/or treated for adult ADD. Some very lucky people do find great professionals on their first try but the majority of people sadly do not. Instead they become even more frustrated which often leads to them not getting any help for their ADD.

There are some ways to find professionals who actually "get adult ADD":

Online Listings: There are some websites with listings of professionals who treat adults with ADD. ADDA, the World's Leading Adult AD/HD Organization has a growing Professional Directory of people who treat adults with ADD. ADD Consults, the First And Only Virtual Online AD/HD Clinic also has a professional directory. In addition to the professional directory, Terry Matlen, MSW, ACSW also offers consultations in which she can help people find professionals.

ADD Coaches: In addition to all of the other benefits people can get from working with an ADD Coach they can also get help locating professionals who can diagnose and help treat them. Many ADD Coaches network with other ADD Professionals around the country and the world.

Word of Mouth: Try to locate other Adults with ADD who live locally. Many ADD Professionals who do understand adult ADD don't advertise their services. Many don't need to because they get plenty of referrals by word of mouth. Joining local ADD Support Groups is a great ways to not only get support but get recommendations for professionals who can diagnose and treat Adults with ADD. Adult ADD Meetups are similar to support groups and their Adult ADD Meetup Website allow for people to communicate with other local adults with ADD.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/ (http://ezinearticles.com/)

Can you point me in the direction of this article? The direct URL?

mctavish23
09-09-05, 12:25 AM
Word of Mouth is usually the best bet for therapists. I get most of my clients that way.

If you've just moved that can be difficult. Those were great ideas tho Tara.

Good luck to you in finding someone.:)

Shawn9
09-11-05, 02:40 AM
this may sound like i am pushing but i think the people in this forum need to start becoming their own drs if they can. i have been to a psych since i was 15 and have had different ones. they are all the same and all they do is push drugs on you. when you get the drug it may or may not HELP(key word). it will never cure and there is a cure for whatever it is you or anyone on this site is going through. people need to start learning about this and not put their faith in drs hands becaues if they are like me and 99% of the people i have talked to who have seen psychs, they have only worsened becaues of the meds. add, adhd, depression, or whatever are symptoms and there is a reason your body is giving you those symptoms. add and adhd is not just a mental problem. it is a full body problem because your mind and body work together so i am basically saying food plays a huge role in any psychiatric disorder. we americans eat horrible. i am 20 yrs old and have been sick with depression and ocd since i was a kid. i dont know how i made it through high school but from what i have learned personally and from the psychiatry and drugs experiences i have had i know that they are totally not the answer. please i am asking for you people to learn about this stuff. drs are not the answer

mctavish23
09-11-05, 03:30 PM
Shawn,

Welcome to the Forum.I respect your opinion, I just disagree with part it.

By Dr's,do you mean medical docs and not psychologist's who don't prescribe or are all the mental health professionals included?

Dr's are NOT the problem. The problem here is ADHD and they (medical docs) help treat it with meds.

There are good and bad practitioners in EVERY profession.

The reality is that meds work.The research since 1937 is overwhelmingly in support of that.That contradicts the statement about Dr's making people "worse."

Meds are only one part of a comprehensive treatment plan. Coaches and therapists can help with developing the skills that have been impaired by the ADHD,as well as in developing behavior managment programs for hyperactivity.

The part that I totally agree with is for people to learn as much as possible about ADHD.

That's what the FORUM is all about.

Another way of saying "become your own doctor" would be to become your own "advocate;"either for yourself as an adult or for your children.

It's just like NBA star LeBron James said, "Don't let nobody drive your train."

take care and good luck:)

mctavish23 (Robert)

Tara
09-11-05, 05:19 PM
Can you point me in the direction of this article? The direct URL?Sure it's http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-for-Finding-Professionals-who-Understand-Adult-ADD&id=55379 I didn't realize I had left the link to Ezine articles in the post when posted it.

Shawn9
09-11-05, 06:42 PM
Robert,

yes, i was talking about drs. and not psychologists. i truly believe psychologists can be helpful. but the fact is that no one is going to be cured by the medications. and i know that people dont want to be on meds all their lives if they are truly wanting to be well. meds can definitely help but beware of serious side effects. from my personal experience and the tons of people i have talked to, meds are causing imbalances in themselves. i seriously am not wanting to cause a bunch of drama here but i know that the body is giving add or adhd people these symptoms becaues something nutritionally or biochemically isnt right inside the body. people have been cured or helped a lot more than medicine by the right diet. it could be as simple as taking gluten grains or dairy out of the diet. but the first thing people do is want to go to a dr where he is going to do nothing but prescribe a pill. if it doesnt work then another will be prescribed. you are extremely lucky if you get a dr who has the slightest clue what he is doing. all i am saying is that people need to learn about what could be the cause of their symptoms and not put all their faith in just "treatment" cause to be honest its not very hopeful in my opinion. i have done nothing but learn about mental illness the past 8 months because i am sick with side effects from a medication i came off 8 months ago. its called a w/d syndrome. i just think people need to think first about learning and looking into the nutritional part of the symptoms which is the actual problem rather than putting all their faith in a dr who could very easily make the person a lot worse.

Andrew
09-11-05, 06:48 PM
Sure it's http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-for-Finding-Professionals-who-Understand-Adult-ADD&id=55379 I didn't realize I had left the link to Ezine articles in the post when posted it.

Nice article you wrote, Tara.

Shawn9
09-11-05, 07:28 PM
like i said earlier in another post, drs are generally good people and want to help. but their job is to "treat" with pills and they are ignorant of the fact that they are hurting more than helping. or they just have so many patients all they have time for is to give a pill. all of my drs have been good people except one psychiatrist who was an insensitive indian jerk. but none of those drs helped me and only made me worse. i see all of my family are the same way. i hear about peoples trouble with docs all the time.

mctavish23
09-11-05, 11:26 PM
I wish you much luck:)

SnappyCloud
09-11-05, 11:43 PM
Me too! You sound extremely young and should have plenty of time to find your own way out.

mctavish23
09-12-05, 12:00 AM
lol....... I'll be 55 tomorrow

I was diagnosed in 1972 at age 22. It was called MBD then (Minimal Brain Dysfunction or as my doc told me...Minimal Brain Damage).

After finishing undergrad college with a respectful C avg of 2.53 gpa, I went on meds for grad school and finished with a 3.66 gpa (A).

I am a licensed (Clinical/Child) psychologist at a rural non-profit community mental health center

I've been here 21 1/2+ yrs. My practice is with "kids" between 6 -19 or 20; 90-95% of which are ADHD.

I've spent the last 17 years making ADHD my primary area of expertise. I'm still learning.

My late dad was a psychiatrist and I got 2 work with him twice in 2 different settings. I believe he understood something was wrong and he made the referral for the neuorpsych battery that diagnosed me.

Like I said, there are good and bad practitoners of every profession.

Tomorrow I'm off to see my psychiatrist about my meds. They're not working well and the last 6-8 mos have been a roller coaster ride.

I know it will workout, so I'm optimistic.

take care

mctavish23* (Robert)

* mctavish23 was our beloved late 17+ yr old Cairn terrier (Toto dog).

SnappyCloud
09-12-05, 12:10 AM
mctavish23,

Well, happy birthday! I was referring to Shawn9 when I said "you sound young."

Regards.

Scattered
09-12-05, 01:22 AM
Have a wonderful birthday, McTavish23!

Hmmmmm, now that I know that was you're dog's name, perhaps I'd better switch to calling you Robert!:p

I hope your visit with your psychiatrist goes well and that you can find whatever medication will work best for you ADHD and BP wise! Six to eight months is a long time to be on a roller coaster --even for a stimulation seeking ADHDer!

Scattered

Scattered
09-12-05, 10:33 AM
McTavish23,

Being slightly more awake this morning, I realized I should have written out blood pressure in stead of BP which has other associations. Anyway, have a happy birthday!:)

dbr2
09-24-05, 12:50 PM
McTavish
Happy belated birthday. I have a 2 yr. old Cairn Terrier named Heidi. She's our third Cairn.

DBR

mctavish23
09-25-05, 09:33 PM
Thank you. I appreciate it.

Growing up, my wife's family and ours both had Cairn's and Westies,so we love terriers.

Currently, we have another Cairn terrier and our first ever (wheaton: not quite white) Scotty.....omg.

Scotties are soo over the top....lol