View Full Version : Turning in homework

ringdawn
09-15-05, 11:47 AM
Our 16 year old and our 10 year old have ADD. The 16 year old is on Strattera, the 10 year old is no on meds. Our problem is with turning in papers. They can both complete work at home, and then they just carry it around until someone asks for it. The 10 year old has a "back to school" folder and the 16 year old and I sit down in the evenings and make a list of what she needs to turn in, etc for the next school day.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to help with this? It seems like such an easy prob to fix but we don't have anymore ideas. We have had their teachers start asking them everyday but would like the girls to learn to do it on their own.

Oh, and I have ADD also so I do understand some of the challenges. Thanks a million everyone!!!!

Dawn

Crybaby1898
09-15-05, 11:49 AM
she has three boys and no one other than her bf helps her with her boyfriend. so she can maybe help and she on right now. :)

BearWithMe
09-26-05, 08:46 PM
Oh, boy, do we have this problem too. I wish I had an easy answer. We tried to get some of the teachers to accept papers via email. But this doesn't work for everything of course. I never let him throw anything away, because I can't tell you how many times I have leafed through a stack of papers looking for things I know he did, and had zero's for.

Try 2 special folders - 1 for "to do" and one for "hand in." Hopefully the hand in one should be empty every night. Of course, they have to remember to check it...;)

KarmicWhiplash
10-23-05, 10:44 AM
THATS IT!!! Im sending my daughter to a montasorri school

Tara
10-23-05, 05:50 PM
Don't the teachers ask the whole class for the assigments anyways? Are you children having trouble turning the assignments in with the rest of the class? Or would you just like them to turn the assigmentments in as soon as they get to school?

mctavish23
10-23-05, 06:04 PM
Here are 2 of the best resource books I know,both of which have ideas on this subject:

The Parents Guide to Attention Deficit Disorder by Stephen McCarney & Andrea Marie Bauer (Hawthorne Press)

The ADHD Book of Lists by Sandra Rief (2003).

If your child doesn't already have due process accomodations in the form of an IEP or Section 504 Accomodation Plan, then please look into some of the following info on the subject at these sites:

www.wrightslaw.com

www.chadd.org (look for their free (printer friendly) handout CHADD Facts #4)

www.pacer.org

There are many others that I'm sure Forum members can provide as well.

My personal preference is for kids with ADHD to have an IEP under the Other Health Impaired (OHI) category of IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act).

Good luck:)
mctavish23 (Robert)

BananaSlip
10-24-05, 02:56 PM
From my personal experience and from teaching children with ADHD, I find that repetition and routine is necessary for learning. In addition, I am a multi-sensory learner and so are many of my students. This means that we have to hear it, see it, touch it, and do it. We also have to do this at the same designated time everyday.

Here's the basic reward system:
I award my students with a token (i.e., sticker, stamp, smiley face, etc.) on a chart if they perform a good behavior; for example, turning in homework on their own. When the chart gets filled up, the children get to pick out a prize. It can take a week, a month, two months -- you decide. Some parents may want to reward their children with a toy from the toy store. You can give TV time or computer time as a reward. You pick the prize that you know will motivate your child. I know this seems like bribery, but it works.

The chart is also part of the daily routine so the child HAS to look at it everyday. Having that chart to look at everyday reminds the child that he or she can be rewarded for turning in homework. I use this method to reward my students for behaving, putting in their best effort, and turning in homework. They are always so excited to see how far they've progressed everyday. It's a great motivator. You can place this chart on the door, on a wall, in a folder, etc.

Here is how this method targets learning thorugh all of the senses:

Visual:
The students see it everyday. They can see their progression towards a goal. They can see that they have done a great job from looking at the inventory of smiles they've obtained.

Hearing:
I give my students verbal praise for doing what they are supposed to do. I tell them such things as,

"I like how you're sitting so quietly in that chair, doing your work. You are a doing exactly what you should be doing. You deserve an extra smilely face for that!"

"You brought in your homework! And I didn't even have to remind you! What a wonderful student you are for bringing in your homework. You have earned a smiley face for that!"

Movement:
Then, at the designated time, that student gets the privelege of bringing over the reward notebook and physically placing the sticker (or stamp, or draw a smile, etc.) for that good behavior.

Touch:
Here's where you can give your much-loved child a hug! Your child will remember the warm feeling of being rewarded with a hug and will repeat his good behavior.

IMPORTANT:
Of course, you have to adjust the token for the age of the child. Teenagers don't want smiley faces, so perhaps your initials or a serious looking stamp will work, or even a dollar sign stamp to signify how much of an allowance they will get.

Many ADHD children are smart, so hide that stamp, set of stickers, whatever, under lock and key! Don't give them opportunities to cheat. Watch them as they fill out the charts. I once had my eyes averted while a child was filling out his chart, and he gave himself a generous 5 stamps, instead of two. Good thing I could hear the stamping and caught him.

It is also important to up the ante as the good behavior becomes established. Over time, the child will have to have new goals and new good behaviors to shoot for because he or she will eventually get to a point where turning in their homework will be too easy of a task. For example, the child will then have to turn in their homework independently two days in a row to earn a token. Maybe after he masters this level, then he can be required to turn in homework by himself for a whole week before he gets rewarded.

Although rarely, I also use the threat of taking away a token, if the child is really misbehaving and has been given numerous warnings. I try not to do this because it's not motivating, but the child has to learn negative consequences as well. The next day, I then give the child an opportunity to show me his best behavior to earn that lost token back.

Anyhow, that is how I get my students to turn in homework as well as other good behaviors. It's scary to see how easily you can shape a child's behavior, but this behavior modification method is just amazing if used to ecourage good behavior and habits that will help the child be successful in school and in life.

Try it and see if it works for you! Good luck! :p

adhdxyz
10-29-05, 11:12 AM
My adhd son is now 12 and is doing much better in school when it comes to handing in papers.

For the past several years, when he needs to turn something in (whether it's homework or a permission slip or a note), I put a yellow post it note on the top of the paper so that it dangles out of his binder/folder. He just needs to pull the yellow paper and out comes the paper. At this point, I don't care if he hands it to the janitor as long as he hands it in.

I send notes to his resource teacher asking her to please check with my son's teachers to see if he is missing any assignments. He's not.

When going through his binder, there are tons of science papers that I cant tell if they were turned in, graded, etc.... I write notes in his assignment book for his teacher to atleast put a checkmark on the homework paper so that I know he turned it in.

I went to his teacher conferences the other night and when I met with his Science teacher, I mentioned all of the paperwork that he has in his binder for science and I cant tell if it's needed or if it can be thrown away. Most of it was homework assignments.

She explained that since the kids are in 7th grade, she is teaching them to use their notes and homework for future tests. She gives assignments for homework. The next morning she goes around to make sure everyone did theirs. She then tells them to hang on to it for the final chapter test.

She mentioned that my son is constantly asking her if he needs to turn his papers in and she once again tells him to hang on to them. I laughed and said that is because I am constantly telling him to ask if he needs to turn his papers in. Now I know.

Anyway, for his other classes, the post it notes dangling out help in getting things turned in.