View Full Version : Risperdal (atypical antipsychotic)

speedo
09-15-05, 09:37 PM
Risperdal is an atypical antipsychotic. It is commonly given in big doses for schizophrenia, and at smaller doese for biploar disorder, or ocd, and is frequently used to treat turrets, autism, and asperger's It is supposedly a good drug to treat comorbidities of disorders in the autism spectrum.

The down side is that it has some very scarey (but rare) side effects... so be sure you go read up on it.... it is serious stuff.

This is day one for me on 0.5 mg risperdal. It makes me feel like I am living in the ozone, but I also notice that I could care less about my sensory issues. Now, all I have to do is to regain the ability to speak in words more complex than two syllables... This stuff really hammered me today. I am told that it get better after a while, so I am going to stay with it.

Me :D

ltlangl2
09-15-05, 11:05 PM
Speedo, good luck to you and keep us posted! Lord knows that I have been losing the med battle!!!

Robin

Imnapl
09-15-05, 11:11 PM
Speedo,
I have seen the plus side of Risperdal and I hope it works for you. Who knows, perhaps it is the missing piece of the puzzle?

speedo
09-15-05, 11:20 PM
WEll, it does not answer my questions, but it seems to wipe out my anxiety response to sensory stimulaiton.
If the sedatitve effect does not diminish I will have to stop taking it. But therre are a number of similar med to try if this one does not work.

I just want life to stop hurting. I am really getting tired of the struggle sometimes.

Trooper Keith
09-15-05, 11:30 PM
Good luck on the antipsychotics, man. The second you go Parkinsonian, get out, though! It's no good for a medicine to have side effects worse than the symptom, heh.

speedo
09-15-05, 11:35 PM
Oh yah. this is one med youy really have to be careful of. I definitely do NOT want to live with permanently induced tics or shakes.. if it is less than perfect I am going to go off of it fast.

So far, I just feel sedatred and have a dry mouth. I hope it will improve as time goes on. I am SO pleased to not be all spooled up because lights were too bright or something was too noisy.... :)

I should probably taper off the the welbutrin, but one thing at a time...

Good luck on the antipsychotics, man. The second you go Parkinsonian, get out, though! It's no good for a medicine to have side effects worse than the symptom, heh.

adhdxyz
09-16-05, 08:17 AM
Speedo,

My 12 year old son has been on Respirdal for several years. His diagnosis is adhd/ocd/mood disorder and learning disabilities. He also takes Metadate, Zoloft and Clonidine. His Respirdal dosage is 1 mg tablet 4 times a day.

There are two side effects that we don't like with Respirdal. One is that it caused weight gain in him almost from day one. The second is that when he runs around, rides his bike or just leisurely plays basketball, his face gets real red and so do his ears. The teachers at school have sent him to the nurse thinking he was overheated. This is just how he gets.

We have mentioned the red face to his doctor on several occassions and he said it is due to his blood vessels. The Respirdal causing him to cosmetically look red and overheated. My son hates this because he gets called things like "cherry bomb".

His doctor said that weight gain is a common side effect with Respirdal. He suggested to my son that he do situps. :)

We have tried to wean my son off Respirdal several times. Almost yearly. Each time we do, his behavior turns sour immediately.

His doctor said that he too would like to get him off Respirdal because he doesn't like having patients on it for a long time but it is needed for the severe cases involving behavior.

We have been able to lower his dose from 4 per day down to 3. When school let out in the summer, we tried to switch him from Metadate to Adderall and also lower his Respirdal again. We got him down to 2 per day and then 1 per day but then about 3 weeks into it, he developed a severe noise tic, which has not gone completely away even after switching him back to Metadate and also back to 3 Respirdal per day.

He may have developed the noise tic even if we hadn't switched his medicine around because he has gone through several tics in the past years. Tics are very common for adhd kids, which he is. For ocd kids, which he is. For mood disorder kids, yep. For kids with learning disabilities. For boys in their pre-teens, which he's 12. And also common for those taking the medications that he does. But this noise tic by far is the worst he has had, and the longest lasting.

Anyway, good luck with the Respirdal. It works wonders for my son (with the exception of the weight gain and "cherry bomb" face.)

speedo
09-16-05, 06:50 PM
It seems to be working. I am on 0.5 mg per day and it helps a lot.

sosninity
09-17-05, 10:15 PM
I'm on Risperdal (for anxiety), Zoloft (suposedly for OCD and depression), Adderall, optional Ritalin, and Requip (for side effects of muscle spasms and shakes -- yes, "Parkinsonian").
The Risperdal gave me relief from anxiety just about immediately.
The other meds and their predecessors just make me worse, sleepy, or insomniac.
The Zoloft makes my ADD worse, the Adderall and Ritalin make my OCD worse.
Both give me the shakes and the grabs.

Recently the psychiatrist tried switching my Risperdal (no, not the Risperdal!) with Seroquel because he had recently observed a difficult OCD case that finally responded to Seroquel. But my anxiety went up and my OCD didn't get any better. This was only for a week at the most, and then I went back to Risperdal, but it seems my OCD has been worse since then.

The weight gain side effect wasn't obvious in me because the Adderall had already caused me to drop a little too much in weight.

speedo
09-17-05, 11:02 PM
I am risperdal for anxiety. It helps the anxiety, but does not do much for my sensory issues. I discovered tha this evening.

netsavy006
09-21-05, 12:31 PM
I was on risperdal .5mg per day and had a terrible time w/ it. I had no emotional feelings and felt like crap. It was like "Damn, I've had too may beers!"

speedo
09-21-05, 08:43 PM
The first day on it was like that for me. It was a lot better by the second day. Now it is not aproblem. It simply made me feel sedated.

It seems to let me down a bit in the evening, but is not too much of a problem.

netsavy006
09-22-05, 02:12 PM
I was on risperdal .5mg per day and had a terrible time w/ it. I had no emotional feelings and felt like crap. It was like "Damn, I've had too may beers!"
Do you think I should try again (if I do... this time instead of .5mg at night I would rather have .25mg in the morning and .25mg at night.

speedo
09-22-05, 07:28 PM
You will have to make that choice. You ought to talk to your doctor if you can... if not, decide if it is a good idea or not... I can tall you that I was VERY woozy the foirst day, and moderately so by the second day... on the third day I felt more "normal".

For me, it does seem to have a letdown in the evenings and it is easy to get a tad depressed as it start to wear off. Maybe it is just me...

Do you think I should try again (if I do... this time instead of .5mg at night I would rather have .25mg in the morning and .25mg at night.

bncsmommy
09-27-05, 12:10 PM
hello. My name is Amanda and I just wanted to let you know thta my son just started risperdal today. He is 5 yrs old and has bipolar. He was started on 1 mg twice a day and the doc. said that if this makes him too sleppy to try 1/2 mg in the morning and 1mg at night. My son has been on adderral and concerta and straterra and we have no good things to say about any of those. I hope this works though. Good luck to you.

speedo
09-28-05, 08:11 PM
let us kno how it works out.. Risperdal seems to be a popular med for bipolar and a host of other things.

netsavy006
09-29-05, 08:53 AM
I don't have bipolar but I do take it for natural teenage 'mood swings'.

Sc@tterBr@in_UK
09-29-05, 03:11 PM
averity, did you take this med in the morning? Several people have written about their experiences (including Donna Williams in one of her books) with this medication and some seem to have had good success taking it at night, so they did not suffer tiredness etc.

speedo
09-29-05, 06:23 PM
I take it in the evening and it seems to work out better for me.

justhope
09-29-05, 06:56 PM
My son has been on Risperdal .10mg per day now for about a month. Along with his Adderall xr ,.
He is ADHD and has axiety issues we well.
I know my doctor did tell us to use it at night? He said since this a blood level med you can avoid the side effects by using at night, while the level builds to ge tthe good stuff. It can take up to 6 weeks or more, for it's full effect.

I have already noticed it helping him. While I fight with him to take his Adderall on the weekends he never fights about the Risperdal, he said it also helps him sleep, which we all know can be a problem from the ADD rebound.
I do the same thing with my Zoloft. I just started it a week ago, I didn't want to suffer through the side effects while I waited for the good effects to start working in a month or so.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope

bncsmommy
10-01-05, 10:50 AM
We were supposed to give my 5 yr old 1 mg in the morning and 1 mg at night but that just knocked him on his butt! He was sedated all day. So we went to 1/2 mg in the morning and 1/2 mg at night he seems to be handling it better now. The doc said that we can build up his dosage if we have to. The drowsiness was just too much. The school said he couldnt stay awake to eat lunch. (but they never called to have me get him which made me mad) ill keep posting to let you know how it all goes.

Sc@tterBr@in_UK
10-01-05, 01:14 PM
We were supposed to give my 5 yr old 1 mg in the morning and 1 mg at night but that just knocked him on his butt! He was sedated all day. So we went to 1/2 mg in the morning and 1/2 mg at night he seems to be handling it better now. The doc said that we can build up his dosage if we have to. The drowsiness was just too much. The school said he couldnt stay awake to eat lunch. (but they never called to have me get him which made me mad) ill keep posting to let you know how it all goes.
Can you try giving it all at night? AFAIK the effects usually last long enough to cover the day, and if sleepiness is a big problem then it's worth a try :)

bncsmommy
10-03-05, 10:55 AM
weve cut back to 1/2 mg in the morning and 1/2 at night he seems to be doing ok. Hes not tired anymore and it is helping with his mood swings and aggression but I can tell that the dosage will have to be adjusted soon because it seems like hes just getting enough to calm him down somewhat but it still seems like he could snap at anytime. Well just wait and see but for now i feel safer only having him take 1/2 mg because alot of people have been telling me that it is a really strong drug to be giving a 5 yr old.

lostinlspace
10-15-05, 02:22 PM
I took Risperdal about 9 years ago, after being told I was bipolar. It was later explained to me that it was a misdiagnose since I have never had a manic episode. They were little white pills if I remember correclt and the dose was supposed to be really small but I can't remember what it was. I've never taken medication for ADD although I was laterdiagnosed w it.

Risperdal is one of the most severe meds I took at that time, completely knocking me out and sucking the life out of me but after taking it for a few days I felt like there was a sleep part of my brain that had woken up, I was extremely productive, foused and concentrated, within being energyless and zombielike. It was weird but I remember quite clearly because I was extremely productive in my job which I was doing from home at that time. I can't remember why I stopped taking it, probably those nasty side effects.

speedo
10-15-05, 10:50 PM
This is week 4 on risperdal for me. It is working great! I switched to taking it in the evening and the "letdown" I was experiencing in the evenings has stopped. Risperdal really does a good job controlling my anxiety and nearly eliminates my episodes with ocd. I still get impulses but I can now resist them a lot easier, and I can focus much better.

lostinlspace
10-16-05, 01:53 PM
This is week 4 on risperdal for me. It is working great! I switched to taking it in the evening and the "letdown" I was experiencing in the evenings has stopped. Risperdal really does a good job controlling my anxiety and nearly eliminates my episodes with ocd. I still get impulses but I can now resist them a lot easier, and I can focus much better.

hi speedo,

I don't think I'll ever forget those few days I was on risperdal and my reaction to it, I was so focused and was getting a lot of stuff done! The problem of course is that it made me pretty dead but is that a common reaction to risperdal, being focused? I've never taken meds for ADD, I wonder if that's how I'll feel when I do. My doctor has me on prozac as "beginning of the treatment".

adhdxyz
10-17-05, 08:00 AM
Has anyone else experienced the side effect of weight gain with the Respirdal?

As mentioned earlier, my 12 year old son has been on adhd medication for over 8 years. He has never been one of the kids that couldn't gain weight or was underweight due to his meds. He is very healthy looking. He could stand to loose a few pounds in his stomach area. He has always been very self conscious about how he looks.

Whenever we lower his Respirdal dose, he starts to loose weight. Not alot, but enough to notice and he starts feeling really good about himself. But then his behavior turns sour and the noise tic returns.

We will try and lower his Respirdal again, perhaps in the summer when he's not in school. It's better for us to experiment then with dosage amounts and dosage times.

netsavy006
10-17-05, 01:20 PM
Yes, I was taking 0.5mg 1x/day at night. I only took it once and didn't like how it felt. Do you think I didn't give it enough time?

bncsmommy
10-18-05, 01:17 PM
Hi its me again. My son started back on the 1 mg twice a day and it isnt makin ghim as tired anymore. But I was wondering if you all think is too high of a dose for a 5 yr old I mean i hear alot of adults saying that they are on 0.5 mg once a day and my 5 yr old is on 1 mg twice a day. Just wondering if this sounds right to you i dont want my son to be overmedicated. Like i said he seems not so tired on the 1 mg anymore i think maybe his body got used to the 1/2 mg and then it just wasnt enough for him because his outbursts started again.

Imnapl
10-18-05, 01:21 PM
bncsmommy, the correct dosage for your son is based on effectiveness and side effects that he experiences. You seem to be doing a great job of monitoring both.

Damita33
10-20-05, 12:03 AM
My daughter has autism and her doctor has her on risperdal and i would like to know if that does help children with autism could someone get back with me i would like to get more info on risperdal i am new at this i hope someone can help me with that.:) you can e mail me at this e mail address damita33@myway.com thank you for your time.

I think the risperdal is helping my daughter in school.

Damita33

speedo
10-20-05, 12:55 AM
Based on what I have read... It appears that small dose of risperdal is known to reduce combativeness and anxiety in autistic persons (including children)... Also, I have read that some high functioning autistics report that anxiety caused by environmental stress (sensory issues) is a big factor in sudden meltdowns. I can say from experience that risperdal does a good job of reducing my anxiety when I am confronted by sensory "events" and helps improve my overall ability to focus....

My daughter has autism and her doctor has her on risperdal and i would like to know if that does help children with autism could someone get back with me i would like to get more info on risperdal i am new at this i hope someone can help me with that.:) you can e mail me at this e mail address damita33@myway.com thank you for your time.

I think the risperdal is helping my daughter in school.

Damita33

sosninity
10-20-05, 01:09 AM
Risperdal is the only one of my medication cocktail components that has actually made me feel better, and that from day 1. I was already on so many meds that made me sleepy that one more was not noticeable. And I take the Adderall, so that sort of balances it out.

bncsmommy, Maybe you could read all the fine print on the package insert, and then ask your doctor about some of the possible effects.

adhdxyz, I think the Risperdal 20 is as common as the freshman 15, if you know the reference. I don't know that I gained all of 20 lbs. in the first month, but I'm back to normal now. Initially it made me hungry in the same way that breast-feeding babies always made me hungry. And, as with the nursing experience, with the Risperdal, I just started making choices of sleep over food.
I'm more concerned now about my lack of appetite for healthy foods. The Risperdal seems to make only sweets taste good.

speedo
10-20-05, 01:15 AM
I have noticed a big increase in my craving for sweets. It defiinitely does cause weight gain. It also has bad sexual sside effects for males. It can allso cause tics, shakes , treomors , etc
I have noticed that I have dry mouth a lot.

ME :D

Risperdal is the only one of my medication cocktail components that has actually made me feel better, and that from day 1. I was already on so many meds that made me sleepy that one more was not noticeable. And I take the Adderall, so that sort of balances it out.

bncsmommy, Maybe you could read all the fine print on the package insert, and then ask your doctor about some of the possible effects.

adhdxyz, I think the Risperdal 20 is as common as the freshman 15, if you know the reference. I don't know that I gained all of 20 lbs. in the first month, but I'm back to normal now. Initially it made me hungry in the same way that breast-feeding babies always made me hungry. And, as with the nursing experience, with the Risperdal, I just started making choices of sleep over food.
I'm more concerned now about my lack of appetite for healthy foods. The Risperdal seems to make only sweets taste good.

scuro
10-20-05, 04:26 AM
With stimulants you don't prescribed based on body mass...it's more on the severity of the disorder. I'm not sure with Risperdal.

netsavy006
10-20-05, 09:05 AM
If you would like to know more about risperdal the web site is http://www.risperdal.com. I know risperdal is manly prescribed for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, and is prescribed "off-label" (can someone post what 'off-label' means, please...) for autism and asperger's disorder.

UnleashTheHound
10-20-05, 10:57 AM
off-label means that the drug prescribed for something other than it is specifically approved for.

netsavy006
10-20-05, 03:11 PM
One minute I can be talking to someone in a normal voice and then all of a suden my voice get's louder and louder to the point of yelling and arguing w/ the other person. Do you think (anybody?) this could be a hidden disorder or just normal behavior.
>(male, 18 years old)

justhope
10-20-05, 07:58 PM
My son who is 14 is ADD , he recently started taking Risperdal .05, now he is up to .10 per day.

He hasn't been officially diagnosed with anything other than the ADD, but in discussing it with my doc, we believe there is some ODD there.
He is highly anxious, aggitated.
Heck so am I.

He takes the Risperdal at night before he goes to bed, as suggested by the doctor, to help with sleep after the rebound of his stimulants, and it helps not suffering the sideeffects during the day, but after the blood level builds, he gets all the good stuff during the day.

He has been on it over a month now.
He seems to be doing very well on it.
He fights me to take his Adderall Xr esp on the weekends, but faithfully comes in my room to take his Risperdal. Even if he is sleeping over someone's house.
He sees the good in it, at his age that is very good.
He has not discussed any side effects of it with me? He hates the side effects of the stimulants, but does see he needs them. He has even taken them , as recent as last week, on the weekend!

I don't know why, since he and I are similiar in our dx, and anxiety, I wasn't put on the Risperdal? My doctor suggested a increase in vitamens esp the Omega oils. And he put me on a low .25mg dose of Zoloft?
Not sure why ? Although I have minor clinical depression?
Anyway, nothing but good so far with the Risperdal side for my son.

Just my 2 cents,
Hope

kaylasmom
10-29-05, 01:36 PM
Speedo,

My 12 year old son has been on Respirdal for several years. His diagnosis is adhd/ocd/mood disorder and learning disabilities. He also takes Metadate, Zoloft and Clonidine. His Respirdal dosage is 1 mg tablet 4 times a day.

There are two side effects that we don't like with Respirdal. One is that it caused weight gain in him almost from day one. The second is that when he runs around, rides his bike or just leisurely plays basketball, his face gets real red and so do his ears. The teachers at school have sent him to the nurse thinking he was overheated. This is just how he gets.

We have mentioned the red face to his doctor on several occassions and he said it is due to his blood vessels. The Respirdal causing him to cosmetically look red and overheated. My son hates this because he gets called things like "cherry bomb".

His doctor said that weight gain is a common side effect with Respirdal. He suggested to my son that he do situps. :)

We have tried to wean my son off Respirdal several times. Almost yearly. Each time we do, his behavior turns sour immediately.

His doctor said that he too would like to get him off Respirdal because he doesn't like having patients on it for a long time but it is needed for the severe cases involving behavior.

We have been able to lower his dose from 4 per day down to 3. When school let out in the summer, we tried to switch him from Metadate to Adderall and also lower his Respirdal again. We got him down to 2 per day and then 1 per day but then about 3 weeks into it, he developed a severe noise tic, which has not gone completely away even after switching him back to Metadate and also back to 3 Respirdal per day.

He may have developed the noise tic even if we hadn't switched his medicine around because he has gone through several tics in the past years. Tics are very common for adhd kids, which he is. For ocd kids, which he is. For mood disorder kids, yep. For kids with learning disabilities. For boys in their pre-teens, which he's 12. And also common for those taking the medications that he does. But this noise tic by far is the worst he has had, and the longest lasting.

Anyway, good luck with the Respirdal. It works wonders for my son (with the exception of the weight gain and "cherry bomb" face.)

You had better becareful giving you son Rsiperdal. Do your research because it is starting to cause serious health problems in adults as well as kids. My 12 year old daughter died this year possibly due to the side effects of Risperdal and Zoloft. Please, I beg of you, get your son on a different drug.

netsavy006
11-01-05, 12:05 PM
You will have to make that choice. You ought to talk to your doctor if you can... if not, decide if it is a good idea or not... I can tall you that I was VERY woozy the foirst day, and moderately so by the second day... on the third day I felt more "normal".

For me, it does seem to have a letdown in the evenings and it is easy to get a tad depressed as it start to wear off. Maybe it is just me...

:) Do you think that risperdal is a better anti-anxiety medication than Zoloft/SSRI's? (I know you don't replace a doctor's expert advice) :eyebrow:

I am right now on 50mg of zoloft but would be willing to switch from the zoloft to risperdal if the risperdal would do better for me.

speedo
11-01-05, 06:56 PM
I do not know. I have never been on an SSRI. I was too afraid of the side effects.

netsavy006
11-02-05, 10:44 AM
I do not know. I have never been on an SSRI. I was too afraid of the side effects.

:confused: I don't understand how you were afraid of SSRI side effects, but wasn't afraid of the getting side effects from risperdal? :confused:
To me it doesn't make since.

speedo
11-02-05, 08:54 PM
I am having two side effects from the risperdal. 1) dry mouth and 2) weight gain
beyond that , no problems.

I am on a very tiny dose... 0.5 mg... which is the does they give to 5 year old autistics and elderly persons with dementia. :p

There appears to be an increased risk of death due to heart failure in elderly patients who take risperdal. I am not sure if this tracks with the rate of heart disease in the elderly or not.

As scuro pointed out, risperdal appears to be a med they adjust the dose for whatever they are treating....

From what I have read so far they treat autism with a small dose , less than 2 mg (same for demensia precox), bipolar is treated with a larger dose... up to 5 mg, maybe a little more, and psycosis is treated with up to 20 mg!! As always, it is going to vary, but these are the numbers I have been seeing in my reading on this drug.

Ocd is also treated, but I think the use is off label at present. The doses I have been reading about for ocd are on the order of 5 mg or less.

I wanted to avoid SSRI's if I could, because of the huge number of males reporting unwanted sexual side effects with ssri's.... Yes I know risperdal can do the same thing, but typically only for larger doses.

Gregster
11-02-05, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't think that Risperdal would be used for anxiety in general. For specific types of anxiety - definately. For most types of general anxiety SSRI's and such offer relief with far fewer side effects. Can you imagine what other, older style, meds must be like to take? Risperdal is known for having far fewer side effects than other mood stabalizers (I much prefer that term to "anti-psychotic"). I haven't tried it myself - no need in my case. You see low doses - .5 mg, 1 mg, etc for ODD comorbid with ADHD and similar types of problems - and for more serious conditions like schizophrenia and full blown, type 1, bi-polar disorder you see much larger doses.
It really does seem like you either love or hate drugs like this - if they work they are a god-send but when you suffer bad side effects, it's the worst drug in the world!
Further clairification on the "off-label" use of drugs. This refers to the practice - rightly mentioned by "unleashthehound" - of prescribing a drug for a condition that it is not FDA approvel for. I just want to clairify that this is OK and there is nothing wrong with the practice. Drugs have to prove that they work in clinical trials and this is very expensive to do. Often drug manufacturers and doctors find that a drug is effective for a condition that is different from what the drug was originally approved for. The drug is already on the market, people know it works for this other condition, so the manufacturer doesn't want to bother getting FDA approval for that condition as well - it's too much trouble and money. They just can't then advertise that the drug is effective for the new use, because they haven't "proved it" to the FDA.
When the drug is prescribed for a condition for which it isn't specifically approved, that use is called "off label".

speedo
11-02-05, 11:47 PM
I agree, the term "antipsychotic" is misleading. In any case, it seems to be working for me, and that is the important part. As far as it begin used for anxiety or not goes, everything I have read points at it being frequently used to reduce anxiety in one form or another.

I am glad it is working because the neurontin seems to have stopped working.

I wouldn't think that Risperdal would be used for anxiety in general. For specific types of anxiety - definately. For most types of general anxiety SSRI's and such offer relief with far fewer side effects. Can you imagine what other, older style, meds must be like to take? Risperdal is known for having far fewer side effects than other mood stabalizers (I much prefer that term to "anti-psychotic"). I haven't tried it myself - no need in my case. You see low doses - .5 mg, 1 mg, etc for ODD comorbid with ADHD and similar types of problems - and for more serious conditions like schizophrenia and full blown, type 1, bi-polar disorder you see much larger doses.
It really does seem like you either love or hate drugs like this - if they work they are a god-send but when you suffer bad side effects, it's the worst drug in the world!
Further clairification on the "off-label" use of drugs. This refers to the practice - rightly mentioned by "unleashthehound" - of prescribing a drug for a condition that it is not FDA approvel for. I just want to clairify that this is OK and there is nothing wrong with the practice. Drugs have to prove that they work in clinical trials and this is very expensive to do. Often drug manufacturers and doctors find that a drug is effective for a condition that is different from what the drug was originally approved for. The drug is already on the market, people know it works for this other condition, so the manufacturer doesn't want to bother getting FDA approval for that condition as well - it's too much trouble and money. They just can't then advertise that the drug is effective for the new use, because they haven't "proved it" to the FDA.
When the drug is prescribed for a condition for which it isn't specifically approved, that use is called "off label".

bncsmommy
11-14-05, 09:33 PM
Hello everyone! You might remember me from some threads before on this topic. My 5 yr old son is on 1 mg twice a day of risperdal. He seemed to be doing better at first but now we see signs returning of what he was having problems with before. Which are the mood changes the aggression,seperation anxiety and the impulsiveness. The dr. said he would not up the dosage but he wanted my son to also be on Concerta which he was on before and was suffering from hallucinations. I said no to the concerta but wanted to continue on the risperdal since this is the only med that we have seen improvement on. He has been on Adderral, Concerta, Straterra and now risperdal. Has anyone ever heard of signs returning after starting risperdal? It not working as well anymore? Another thing is that at first they thought my son had adhd then they thought he had bipolar but he was never diagnosed with either. Its like he shows signs from all these mental illnesses but no dr. can figure out what is going on with him. Any advice would help greatly! Thank you!

speedo
11-14-05, 10:03 PM
bncsmommy

I am going to try to help here and I hope that I do not create too much confusion in my attempt.

I am so glad to hear that you have found something that works for your child. Worh with that result and see if you can improve opn it over time.

I have not heard of anyone developing a significant tolerance to risperdal, so I would not expect it to stop working. The concerta/risperdal combination is a popular one. I am on welbutrin/neurontin/risperdal and it seems to be working for me.

I have read that in bipolar disorder that medications sometimes suddenly appear to "stop working". I do not know if anyone knows why. You should talk with your doctor on the matter.

I am a bit bothered that your child has been treated for ADD and bipolar at different times, but that treatment for either disorder has not worked. I am no doctor, but that suggests to me that perhaps something else may possibly be going on????
I hesitate to speculate at what might be going on, and I don't think I should, so I won't.

I think that you have been a fantastic advocate for your child. I also think that if it were my child I would keep my mind open to the possibility that there may be some disorder peresent that has not previously been considered, or has been considered and discouted for whatever reasons.

good luck and god bless you.

Hello everyone! You might remember me from some threads before on this topic. My 5 yr old son is on 1 mg twice a day of risperdal. He seemed to be doing better at first but now we see signs returning of what he was having problems with before. Which are the mood changes the aggression,seperation anxiety and the impulsiveness. The dr. said he would not up the dosage but he wanted my son to also be on Concerta which he was on before and was suffering from hallucinations. I said no to the concerta but wanted to continue on the risperdal since this is the only med that we have seen improvement on. He has been on Adderral, Concerta, Straterra and now risperdal. Has anyone ever heard of signs returning after starting risperdal? It not working as well anymore? Another thing is that at first they thought my son had adhd then they thought he had bipolar but he was never diagnosed with either. Its like he shows signs from all these mental illnesses but no dr. can figure out what is going on with him. Any advice would help greatly! Thank you!