View Full Version : Tinkerers and locksmiths...

Trooper Keith
09-18-05, 11:47 PM
I know I can't be the only person here who enjoys taking things apart and figuring out how they work, and I know I'm not the only lockpick here. So I figured I'd ask if anyone has any ideas, how you other locksmiths deal with picking SFIC (Best) locks with double shear lines?

Standard Disclaimer: The author neither engages in nor encourages engaging in illegal activity. The purpose of this post is for informational purposes only, and not for any kind of illicit or illegal activity.

mccinny
10-10-06, 03:33 PM
I've always wanted to learn locksmithing, but unfortunately, like so many things, I've never gotten around to it. What's a good book or way to learn for beginners?

D

Bobthebuilder
10-14-09, 01:18 AM
My dad brought me a box of old locks when i was 13. I rearranged the pins to make the lock work with a different key, and later in my teens i played around with a cheap lock picking set. But same as mccinny, never got around to pursueing this interest

wsmac
10-14-09, 03:04 AM
Well, I won't be sharing any tips or tricks (not that I have that many anyways), but yes... I do own my own homemade lockpicks and commercially made sets too.

I got pretty good with a slim jim, especially during my years working EMS.

As far as taking things apart?
I've been doing that ever since I stripped the film out of a really old camera (brownie) to see the pictures.

I've 'invented' many things too... sometimes scavenged from personal belongings of others in the house, or built from parts removed from items destined for the dump.
I still strip appliances for the usual screws/bolts/nuts/washers, and also for the switches, pots, gears, and other interesting things I think I may use someday (yeah... sure... lol).

I've gotten a reputation at various jobs because I could usually find a means of repairing things or creating tools out of miscellaneous items, on the spot.
I got tired of being called 'McGyver' all the time.

Put me in a hardware store and my imagination runs WILD!:eek:
I can literally spend hours just checking out all the shelves and bins while thinking up new uses for the items I find.

Back to locks...

I really wish we didn't have laws against owning locksmithing tools if a person is not a registered/licensed locksmith.
Seems a shame to punish someone for a crime they haven't committed.
It's a skill that comes in handy, for very legitimate reasons.
I love it when I can pick a lock to open something the key was lost for, instead of having to call up a locksmith and pay to have it done.

joklem
10-14-09, 07:10 AM
Hey, since forgetting keys is a daily thing for me I had to learn how to. Also because making thermite is inconvenient.

how you other locksmiths deal with picking SFIC (Best) locks with double shear lines?

I don't :(

Derven
03-09-10, 10:41 AM
Out of boredom one day I made some paperclip lock picks and practiced breaking into my own desk drawer and my filing cabinet. It was good for a lark, but have never bothered going further with it. I was pleased that I was able to do it though. Although, I found the easiest way was to simply rake the tumblers, so I have never done an actual tumbler pick.

Bobthebuilder
03-09-10, 01:14 PM
I've always wanted to get into lock picking, keep a lockpick set magnetically attached to the bottom of my car incase i lock my keys in (and forget to put the KEY i have under my car back) lol

At work we had a lock get stuck between open and locked.
It was one of those circular keys with the tab.
And since the cylinder was stuck between the 2 slots, the key couldnt be inserted.

It was pretty damn obvious to me that the easiest way to fix this was to have the little tab removed from the key so it can be inserted no matter where the cylinder is. I have trouble understanding why this impressed my boss so much lol... it was like a very very basic logic problem.

wsmac
03-10-10, 12:53 AM
Filing cabinets, bathroom cabinets (like locking paper towel doors and those kotex/tampon dispensers in the unisex bathrooms), and other small locks like these are generally not hard to pick.

Padlocks, doorlocks (those that are in decent shape and new), are a bit harder to do depending on the level of security they are designed for.

I have never picked a car lock... need a different type of pick for that and I haven't gotten around to getting one yet.
I find special places to hide slim jims on my vehicles so I can open them if I lock my keys inside. It really helps to understand the locking mechanism in your own car if you plan on getting into it without a key.

I should mention that I don't steal money from the machines I open... I only open them because they are in a safe place for me to practice.... like the single-user bathroom.

Talking about tinkering....

Recently I've been getting more into... getting into computers.
I don't mean hacking via code... I mean physically opening them up.
I've opened up a couple of macbooks, dell laptops, and my ipod touch.
It's really interesting to see the insides of a laptop and ipod. It's especially great to put them back together and have them work just fine afterwards.

KSanchez
04-12-16, 06:55 PM
Lockpicking is quite fun, although you have to make sure that you do the necessary research into it before you begin practicing so that you don't end up doing something illegal. There are a lot of online resources that can point you in the right direction (where to buy your picks, whether you are allowed to even own them etc.) and a host of youtube videos that can help you learn more about lockpicking. I'm new here but if anyone has any questions about this dont hesistate to reach out to me.

acdc01
04-15-16, 05:38 AM
I have a family member who's a locksmith so I have picked a house lock and a padlock before when I was a kid. It was never that exciting for me (too bad) though I liked the idea of it.

I'd ask my family member but I think it's illegal for him to pass information on so wouldn't want to get him in trouble. Guess I shouldn't really be saying he taught me a bit either but oh well, doubt anyone cares and it is anonymous board.

KSanchez
05-06-16, 04:47 PM
I love lock picking! Granted I am not very good...YET! But if anyone is looking to start out, I think that this article on practice locks would be a lot of help. It has a lot of info I had to learn over a long period of time, all centralized in one location. Source: 7 Best Practice Locks for Beginners (http://www.printfriendly.com/print/?source=homepage&url=http%3A%2F%2Funited-locksmith.net%2Fblog%2F7-best-practice-locks-for-beginners)by Ralph Goodman

Most people are just going to want to pick the basic locks, like the Master lock or the types of Kwikset locks, but it is a perfect thing to return to if you like it. My advice to anyone who is starting out is to pick something very easy. I started with a Kwikset deadbolt, and it was an amazing feeling. Like other people have said, this feeling is not universal, but when it hit you, it hits you hard. Making picks yourself is also really cool. I am just gushing at this point.

If you are the least bit interested I would suggest checking it out.

PS.
It is also a practical skill to learn, and it can result in a job if you want to get into any aspect of the security field. Even white hat hacking companies like employees to have a bit of physical security knowledge.