View Full Version : Everything has to be balanced!!

wheresmykeys
09-19-05, 12:28 AM
Everything I look at has to be balanced to not bother me at least a bit. My entire life looking at things was irritating if it wasnt balanced or symmetrical.
FOr example, writing a title on a page, it had to be perfectly centered or I woudlnt be able to use the page and actually pay attention to what I was doing....of in a photograph if the feature was off center..
Paintings have to be balanced, pictures, whiriting size has to be consistent, everything does..

Does anyone else have this quirk?

Trooper Keith
09-19-05, 12:38 AM
This is a charactermark of obsessive compulsive disorder. As such, when I'm in OCD-form, I tend to need things to be aligned, though not necessarily balanced. I like things to be "in good order," so ultimately, the lines, when carried off into space, need to intersect at "good" angles (45, 90), and things need to be straight, etc. Fortunately, centering is not a problem. However, paintings do need to be in order, things need to go in consistent patterns, etc.

Fortunately, it seems I'm only like that rarely. No matter...that's just my rambling.

wheresmykeys
09-19-05, 01:59 AM
Really? Thats OCD? I am not diagnosed with either ADD or OCD, but I only ever suspected ADD. Its obvious I have that, but not so much OCD.
My father has really sever OCD, and I have noticed I have traces of the same obsessions he has, but that one is entirely my own...
Its gotten a bit better over time as Ive forced myself to just life with misalignment but I still remember the first time I saw an abstract painting I nearly fell over..hated it with passion.

Trooper Keith
09-19-05, 10:20 AM
It's not OCD in and of itself, but it is characteristic of symptoms of OCD. It would make sense, given a family history of OCD, as there is some evidence for the genetic basis for anxiety disorders.

stori813
09-20-05, 03:20 AM
Balance is important to me. Just like in the things wheresmykeys described.
I'm not OCD but I am AD/HD and I find things that are off balance highly distracting.
So I'm wondering about the question is it a quirk or something else?

Gourmet
09-20-05, 03:33 AM
As an artist, I am always finding visual balance...light must balance with dark and red must balance with green.

Visual weight must be altered to balance. Some of this is because I have been trained and some of this is just because!

But after talking to others with AD/HD, I've learned that because I am naturally off balance much of the time, I ALWAYS strive for balance and connect pattern and shape...put things in order..always try to put things in order and correct imbalance as needed. I believe it is nature trying to correct itself.

I will say, however, that I have a knack for being delightfully out of balance and that is what makes me so delightful. :D

~gourmet~

Gourmet
09-20-05, 03:41 AM
What I dream of is balance.
Henri Matisse

I have this taped to my back door wheresmykeys!

stori813
09-20-05, 03:42 AM
You hit the nail on the head with that explanation for me Miss Delightful.:)
That's what it is so much is already off balance.
So there is a need to have things in balance.
Well for me any way. LOL

ADDitives
09-20-05, 09:40 AM
its not necessarily ocd at all.

it may just be that youre used to things being a certain way. things being balanced is a 'normal' way for you. if something is unbalanced, it easily detracts your attention.

wheresmykeys
09-21-05, 02:31 AM
well, I don't think Im just used to things being balanced. I can't say that for the first while in my life everything was symmetrical...life just doens't work that way. I don't think its habit or love of familiarty. I just really can't stand it and theres really no reason to explain why.

brandilyn
10-06-05, 01:57 AM
I have to have my body even.Does that make sense?If I scratch one side of my nose,I have to scratch the other to make it even.