View Full Version : Brand New ADD Book 9/05 by Thomas E. Brown...

ifso215
09-22-05, 12:26 AM
It appears quite a large bird has flown under the radar...

"Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults" by Thomas E. Brown, Ph.d. was released on 9/11/05 according to Amazon.com.

I stumbled across this book on display at the store today, and despite the snoozer of a title I wholeheartedly recommend it over everything (Hallowell's intro books not included). I flipped open to the section on Adult ADD standing in the store and before I knew it I'd read half the book standing right there, so I rushed home and finished it.

Hallowell is quoted on the jacket calling it "Authoritative and groundbreaking." For myself at least, that is no understatement. Brown sees the scope of ADD in a completely different light than anyone I've read before, his understanding of the subtleties of it are absolutely incredible. He takes the unified idea of ADD being a "syndrome" affecting the "executive functions" of the brain and explains so, so many aspects of the ADDer's life that other experts haven't even bothered to approach yet.

Although the language is a bit dry and technical at times, I promise you the read is worth it. I'm starting a discussion thread on some of his new ideas on the General board now!! Go read the book tomorrow so we can all debate!!!

Tara
09-22-05, 12:28 AM
I have the book and it's great!!!! The book just came out too,

Uminchu
10-18-05, 06:20 AM
I just finished Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults today.

Although his writing style is as ponderous as his book's title, the content is chock full o' ADD goodness. It seems to be an updated, and very well thought out and argued, take on what ADD is.

While there is lots of updated theory, however, the practice remains much the same: medication, with behavioral therapy for hyper kids and coaching for adults.

pembroke
10-18-05, 09:55 AM
just put it on my library request list. as soon as i've read it, i'll be back.....

Scattered
10-18-05, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I got the book are you recommended it and really love it! It probably explains what I experience better than any other I've read.

Scattered

bythesea
10-20-05, 09:43 PM
I was impressed by your comments, interested by his website and approach, and had already re-read the 2 ADD books I already owned and wanted a new book, so I just bought Brown's book early this evening. Looking forward to really reading some of it instead of jumping around in it and skimming it in the bookstore trying to decide how much I wanted it. :)

~~bythesea

bythesea
10-26-05, 11:51 PM
Been reading the book (can I just say I love the book jacket?), and like scattered I'm finding it very interesting and also there is much in it that relates to what I've experienced.

~~bythesea

Carol
01-29-06, 06:23 PM
I also recommend Brown's book. He's a Yale professor, and his model is based on solid empirical research. He talks about the core attention problems in ADHD as impairments in executive functions of the brain - complex, higher order cognitive functions, such as organizing, prioritizing, time management, etc. (He does not in any way imply that impaired higher cognitive functions suggest impaired intelligence.) His website is a terrific resource where you can find a link to his expanded model. You can also download a pdf file of the preface, introduction, and first chapter of his new book on this webpage:
http://www.drthomasebrown.com/pdfs/brownChapter.pdf

Sam French
04-19-09, 06:22 PM
After reading this thread. I just ordered this book from amazon.com

Sam French

Adduce
04-14-13, 01:10 PM
I read this quite a few years ago now but 'The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults' is still my favourite Adhd book.

I would also like to buy his most recent version of the 'Adhd Comorbidities' book he has written but is way too expensive at the moment and looks more like a book for academics/doctors.

I particularly like his views on Adhd being a disorder which may 'underpin' other disorders, his work looking at high IQ individuals with Adhd and his views on accurate diagnosis of comorbidities of Adhd.

Personally, I think his work falls nicely inbetween that of Hallowell and Barkley, who seem to be at opposite ends in terms of some of their views.