View Full Version : Personal Review - Delivered From Distraction - Sept 21, 2005

Marmalade_man
09-22-05, 09:41 AM
DELIVERED FROM DISTRACTION
By Hallowell & Ratey, Random House, 2005,
ISBN – 0-34544230
Reviewed by Marmalade_man, September 21, 2005

This book was produced by two doctors, long time collaborators, both who have ADD and are pioneers in its diagnosis and treatment. OK, I guess it was mainly written by Edward Hallowell but Ratley still has major involvement in it. They previously produced the ground breaking book “Driven to Distraction.”

Attention Deficit Disorder does not accurately describe the truly amazing minds of people with this condition. Some of the world’s most brilliant thinkers, originators, inventors, writers and rulers have had ADD. The key difference is that people with ADD who dazzle the world with their brilliance have learned how to harness their special minds. This book will help one tap into the often hidden talents of the ADD mind. Those like myself who have been crippled by this condition have a lot they can learn from this wonderful book.

This book will give you a new enlightened and comprehensive understanding of the characteristics of Attention Deficit Disorder. It also explains the latest advances in diagnosis and treatment for this condition. It will help you identify and develop the special talents of those with ADD. It will definitely improve the life of anyone with ADD.

Organization

The book is organized in an ADD friendly fashion. I have only read about half of this excellent new book so far but have skipped around the rest of it enough to know that it is destined to be a pillar in the ADD field.

I am an adult with ADHD so I appreciate how it is written. It has lots of lists, tables, headings and a great index that make it easier for anyone, especially those with ADD to quickly find just the information they needed. One can read snippets from this book and immediately benefit from that information.

All You Have To Read

One of the great features of this book is that you really only need to read chapter one - “THE SKINNY ON ADD: READ THIS IF YOU CAN’T READ THE WHOLE BOOK”. The capital letters are not mine - they are in the book. This chapter gives you easy to absorb chunks of information about the rest of the book.

What’s in the Book?

The book is stuffed full of the latest material about ADD, its treatment and diagnosis. It also provides profiles of people not only living successfully with ADD but those who use their special ADD traits to their advantage. The specific strategies to improve the quality of life for those with ADD are nothing short of phenomenal. You will learn to master the power and avoid the pitfalls of ADD. You also will of course find an excellent self-assessment quiz and a great Appendix that lists ADD Resources world-wide.

Improvements Over “Driven To Distraction”

One of the nice things about this book is it picks up where “Driven to Distraction” left off. There have been so many advancements in the ADD field since that earlier book was written. That prior book showed tremendous initial successes that one can achieve with the right medication and treatment. It didn’t follow up on the cases and present what to do when those initial successes begin to wane. This new book gives concrete methods to deal with those issues and presents ways to not only live with ADD but to use it to excel and greatly improve your life.

Best wishes and thanks,

Vic [aka Marmalade_man]
Check out my Fantastic Math Tricks page - give it to teacher or child.
http://www.angelfire.com/me/marmalade/mathtips.html

Scattered
09-22-05, 06:38 PM
Second book I read on ADHD and still my favorite! It includes both a hopeful perspective on ADHD and the positive aspects that come in the package as well as validation and practical steps for dealing with the dark days that come even after medication and treatment. Unlike so many books on ADHD I don't feel more broken after reading it -- I feel validated, encouraged and good about myself, instead of like one of society's broken rejects.

I highly recommend it!:D

Scattered

lostdog65
09-22-05, 07:57 PM
Thanks...both books are on my Christmas list. Along with a sweater!

Eric

Marmalade_man
09-23-05, 01:28 AM
Thanks...both books are on my Christmas list. Along with a sweater!

Eric
Eric:

I strongly suggest that you may want to add another book if you have any trouble with clutter and getting your life organized:

ADD - Friendly Ways to Orgainze Your Life by Judith Kolberg & Kathleen Nadeau, 2002

This is a great book if you or a member of your family has AD(H)D or ADDish tendancies and are struggling with clutter, junk and disorganization.

If you are overwhelmend with the prospect of cleaning up the junk and getting your life orgainzed, this is the book for you.

It even suggested the rewritable door knoker that I bought at the $ store for --- you guessed it $1.00

Best wishes,

Vic

"Never at rest , the mind of the ADD adult flits about like some deranged bird that can light here or there for a while but is perched nowhere long enough to make a home."

Gabor Maté, in the book, "Scattered Minds"

uniquemess
06-23-12, 10:52 PM
I bought the book ADD - Friendly ways to organize your life & this was the lamest book EVER I have bought on any subject ......... just obvious information splattered everywhere & more over simply lame

PeterIII
07-01-12, 01:21 PM
I highly recommend the, Adult ADD Factbook -- The Truth about Adult Attention Deficit Disorder (Updated November 2011) by Ron Sterling, MD. I got my copy from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Factbook-Attention-Deficit-Disorder-November/dp/0615525261/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341154307&sr=8-1&keywords=Ron+Sterling). I spent over 50 years in the mental health system--missed diagnosed and improperly medicated. It's just too easy for a health care provider to say, "Oh you're just a little depressed---how about some anti-depressants." Of course I was depressed because of a dopamine deficiency that made me feel down and discouraged.
When I first saw Dr. Sterling, I had been clean and sober for over 25 years--a member of a well known self help group for alcoholics. I assumed that most, if not all of my problems, were a result of my alcoholism. Unfortunately, in those 25 years, none of my problems went away and some had gotten worse. I decided to seek some outside help, contacted Dr. Sterling and had a full ADHD work up. He determined that I met most of the criteria for a positive diagnosis. <O:pIt took me over a year to find the right type of ADD medication and the correct dosage by trial and error (medically, no better way currently exist). Once I found the correct medication routine for me, my life started to change dramatically. <O:pWeekly talk therapy also helped because even though I was taking ADD meds and getting good results, I had to process all of the emotional baggage undiagnosed and untreated Adult ADD leaves in its wake. I’m getting much better at reframing and/or deconstructing that emotional baggage. I refer to various sections of the Adult ADD Factbook when I start to become frustrated with the process. Dr. Sterling’s explanations and examples help me better understand my Adult ADD as a dopamine deficiency and that the frustration I’m feeling is “normal” for someone like me--a person with Adult ADD.