View Full Version : Wash, Dry then...what put AWAY...yeah right!!

FlyGurl
09-23-05, 02:21 PM
So I seriously LOVE to clean.....it's this stress release for me but it's also just something I REALLY enjoy doing...my OCD shines through for me......

Only thing is.............................LAUNDRY SUCKS!!! I'll wash it dry it and fold it...or lay it out so they don't get wrinkles but I don't put the freaken clothes away on the drawers, on the hangers in the closet for at least a week.....

Silly thing is when I do I take about an hour just making sure everything is perfect and in color order ... not just the stuff hangen up but in the drawers and everywhere else..I do this with my clothes and my daughters clothes...then I go and clean my room ...

Maybe I don't like actually putting them away no matter how bad OCD I am...cause I know I'll get super OCD and I just don't have the clock on my side sometimes.

ARG....like tonight I would like to go out...well kinda...I don't think I will...but I have all these clothes in my closet that just need to be freaken put away.....Once I start its easy...just wow....starting is SO difficult!!

Anyone else struggle with the wash???? I can't believe this is the one thing I hate about cleaning and to most it's the best....silly me!! :rolleyes:

meadd823
09-24-05, 05:08 AM
I don't care for laundry especailly the putting away..now I don't do the color coding thing but I will wash, dry and leave in basket...some times we are retrieving clean clothes from the basket...it is when I finally get tired of rummiging around basket looking for stuff that I finally put things away.

I do the same with dishes I am good and washing and rinsing but putting away NOT....I'll pile clean dishes on top of the last set of clean dished in the dish drainer ..when I finally get tired of digging through the clean dishes in the drainer will I finally get around to putting them up.....

alala
09-24-05, 02:25 PM
Folding is where I bog down. It's not so hard to throw it in the washer, or transfer it to the dryer, because then you can push a few buttons and walk away, but when you're folding laundry you just have to stand there, and stay with it, and it's so boring! I have to watch TV, but I don't like German TV all that much, so my general strategy is to pop in a DVD - but of course, when I get busy, I don't have 2 hours to watch a movie!

Perhaps I need to work on my housework strategies...

Draven
09-24-05, 04:03 PM
I am the same way,,,,, wash dry no sweat,,,, fold ummmmmmmmmm ,,,,,,, it is really sad when my kids go to school and i am trying to shake the wrinkles out their shirt first from being in a pile,,,, see,, once the basket has been gone through enough, it gets dumped and besides more clothes are coming out of the dryer so I need it. My room is my closet,, I have piles of clothes all over it. I am so grateful for pull out couches or I would have no where to sleep.

I have come to a realization though. It is so very strange for me but My 8 year old daughter that I have spoke of in other threads is starting to enjoy the tasks I hate the most. Folding Laundry is one of those things. She has been spending about 30 minutes a night the last two nights in my room folding clothes. She also loves to do dishes. I think she is most deffinately a keeper.

alwayslate
09-27-05, 03:35 PM
I put everyone's socks in one basket. When anyone wants a pair they have to sort through the basket to find the mates. Saves me time anyway.

srhtinker
12-21-05, 03:56 PM
So I seriously LOVE to clean.....it's this stress release for me but it's also just something I REALLY enjoy doing...my OCD shines through for me......

Only thing is.............................LAUNDRY SUCKS!!! I'll wash it dry it and fold it...or lay it out so they don't get wrinkles but I don't put the freaken clothes away on the drawers, on the hangers in the closet for at least a week.....

Silly thing is when I do I take about an hour just making sure everything is perfect and in color order ... not just the stuff hangen up but in the drawers and everywhere else..I do this with my clothes and my daughters clothes...then I go and clean my room ...

Maybe I don't like actually putting them away no matter how bad OCD I am...cause I know I'll get super OCD and I just don't have the clock on my side sometimes.

ARG....like tonight I would like to go out...well kinda...I don't think I will...but I have all these clothes in my closet that just need to be freaken put away.....Once I start its easy...just wow....starting is SO difficult!!

Anyone else struggle with the wash???? I can't believe this is the one thing I hate about cleaning and to most it's the best....silly me!! :rolleyes:
This is why I love ya'll. I have the same exact problem, except I stop at getting them out of the dryer. Thier stuck in the basket until I know I have the time to make it neat and in color order. I just can't do halfa-s.

meadd823
12-31-05, 01:55 AM
Maybe instead of having drawers we should just use baskets.........we could file our paper work in the drawers and our clothes in baskets????

Imnapl
12-31-05, 04:19 AM
I just keep buying more laundry baskets. :D

tyax
10-11-06, 12:38 AM
I line up two large tables next to my dryer. I leave everything in piles here till I need something. Messy but simple. Keeps other areas less messy!

~boots~
10-11-06, 12:54 AM
ok..an I the ONLY one who enjoys doing the washing?? LOL...I can't stand NOT folding because then it makes more ironing!!
I think pegging out, bringing in and folding and sorting is very relaxing :-)
(yep, I am crazy)

VisualImagery
10-11-06, 05:50 PM
I put everyone's socks in one basket. When anyone wants a pair they have to sort through the basket to find the mates. Saves me time anyway.
My favorite, socks are the worst! Their mates disappear somewhere-I don't know where----I can handle other laundery, but the best solution, teach each person to do their own laundry! 5 year-olds can do it if you spend the time to teach them-then, more time for other things and they are responsible! Why do something for the kids the kids can do for themselves? They learn independence, responsibility, and consequences-dirty clothes to school, no underwear, etc. And the best part? They cannot blame you!

If you have ADD, this can be a big help, eliminate guilt trips, and reduce your stress! My motto? Work smarter than harder. Always delegate-your kids and mine will do much better when they are on their own! Trust me, all mine had no problem adjusting to living on their own!

RADD

DaveHawk
10-11-06, 07:06 PM
O chit lady's. Wake up and smell my son's socks ! I would not be anywhere near his socks when he takes his shoes off. I guess it's a smell only a mother could love or a week old baby's dyper.

Now if you want me to wash my own blood stained hunting clothes no problem and skid marked underware OK,

sorry just having a little tiff here. I HATE DOING THE WASH !

Foghat
10-12-06, 08:05 PM
I am the same way,,,,, wash dry no sweat,,,, fold ummmmmmmmmm ,,,,,,, it is really sad when my kids go to school and i am trying to shake the wrinkles out their shirt first from being in a pile.I've found a simple quick solution to wrinkles... My wife and I also hate laundry... we keep two big baskets in front of the dryer. When dryer needs to be emptied... (read needs to be filled again) we pull the clothes out into one of the baskets.

We keep a water filled spray(mister) bottle on the dryer. Before I get into the shower to go somewhere, I dig what I'm going to wear out of the basket... mist it down a little and throw it in the dryer... by the time I'm out... the moisture and heat have removed the wrinkles... and they are always toasty warm:D

This isn't the most energy efficient, or neatest method... but it works for us.

Anywhoo... hope this helps

VisualImagery
10-12-06, 08:11 PM
Foggy, I have done that with a damp towel! Cheaper than those wrinkle sprays! I will keep a mister now-won't have to find a towel and then go upstairs to dampen it! Thanks!

RADD

I also think the laundry should be by the bathroom or kitchen along with an ironing board! My dream house design actually plans for this! A house for the ADD lady! Maybe I will get to build it someday-ha ha! Hmmmmm, Ty, Ty Pennington......... (now an ADD spokesperson!) How about an extreme ADD Home!

Foghat
10-12-06, 08:20 PM
Foggy, I have done that with a damp towel! Cheaper than those wrinkle sprays! I will keep a mister now-won't have to find a towel and then go upstairs to dampen it! Thanks!

RADD

I also think the laundry should be by the bathroom or kitchen along with an ironing board! My dream house design actually plans for this! A house for the ADD lady! Maybe I will get to build it someday-ha ha! Hmmmmm, Ty, Ty Pennington......... (now an ADD spokesperson!) How about an extreme ADD Home!Actually... my wife has a degree in interior design... We've been planning (talking about) designing our own home for a while... but we've just now realized that we both have ADHD(I was diagnosed today... my wife will soon be I'm sure). The diagnosis alone has put things into a different perspective, but with meds, and some new coping skills I believe we will soon be on the right track.

After we get a handle on organizing our present home... (and finances) we will be definately looking forward to designing and hopefully building an ADD friendly home. If so... we'll keep everyone informed. Actually that sounds like a good Idea for a new thread.

"Help design an ADD friendly home" (suggestions):D

VisualImagery
10-12-06, 08:28 PM
Foggy,

I look forward to your plans-I have taught Living Environments to HS students, and specialized in housing and interior design in college-back in the old days when we drew everything by hand-no personal computers let alone CAD! Loved it!

I am reworking my laundry area in the basement to make it a more pleasant to be! Once I get all the boxes unpacked and dig through my DH's tools and other droppings. My principles learned in school?

Form follows function
Point of first use
Duplicate things when necessary to same time and energy
Start the thread! Would be interesting to see what people would really want in a house, what would help them function everyday!

RADD

meadd823
10-12-06, 09:11 PM

Have you considered pinning the socks together with those craft pins? Use the craft pin (looks like regular safety pin except no loop on the end) and pin socks together immediately after taking off feet, toss them into the laundry basket as usual, wash and dry as usual unpin sock before putting in drawer or onto feet. Keeps socks paired 99.5% of the time.

Now if you want me to wash my own blood stained hunting clothes no problem and skid marked underwear OK,

sorry just having a little tiff here. I HATE DOING THE WASH !

So do we Dave, just because we are female doesn’t mean we like doing wash any more than men, the exception here seems to be Tracy she likes wash however science has been unable to explain this unusual phenomenon.

Bloody hunting clothes would be thrown away before I would wash them . . . . .blood on cloths I have my own kind of accidents with blood and I do clean mine up so it is good that you are wiling to do the same. The under garment thing I am on my medications I think I shall pass this time-lol!

Scuter Puter
11-04-06, 10:02 AM
Dear god. Flygurl thats EXACTLY what I do. I am sitting here typing this...my SOFA and LOVESEAT is COVERED in clothes!! I abhore laundry. lol. But when I get going I have everything done is colors lol.

My husband can't stand it. *grins sheepishly* Its just hard to do it. I haven't the slightest idea why either!!

runinl8
11-06-06, 03:02 PM
We keep a water filled spray(mister) bottle on the dryer. Before I get into the shower to go somewhere, I dig what I'm going to wear out of the basket... mist it down a little and throw it in the dryer... by the time I'm out... the moisture and heat have removed the wrinkles... and they are always toasty warm:D

This isn't the most energy efficient, or neatest method... but it works for us.
This is the exact same thing my husband and I have been doing for years.

PinkPanther_04
11-06-06, 06:06 PM
I am so bad about this, too. This morning I just put away two loads of laundry that had been sitting in a basket in my bedroom for nearly a week. I have very little problem getting dirty clothes into the washer, slightly more of a problem getting them into the dryer (I tend to forget about them), and a huge problem getting them from the basket back into their drawers and closets. It just seems so tedious and almost unnecessary. But they look better if they get put away sooner, and I like it better, not having laundry laying around. When I was a kid that was always an issue: piles of laundry on the couch all the time. My brother and I learned to do our own laundry and other chores very young, but my mom still couldn't get the rest of it done and put away. Back when I had to go to the laundromat I at least got everything folded and hung right away, not that I'd want to do that again.

Desert Dweller
11-15-06, 07:30 PM
Have 4 loads of laundry sitting on my couch :o

I don't mind folding it I just hate putting stuff on hangers and putting it away...... I started making my kids pick out and put away thier stuff (my ADD sons end up on his floor :rolleyes:) but it still seems like the laundry is a monster out to get me.

charonshanti
11-15-06, 08:25 PM
I LOVE my dryer... it has a "wrinkle release" setting so if I forget to take the clothes out at the end of the cycle I can hit wrinkle release and it heats & cools them while tumbling... also has a chime, to remind me when the cycle is done.

I can't fold more than a load at a time, it's overwhelming. So I do each load when I I get around to taking it out... or at worst, take anything that will wrinkle out and lay it flat until I have another load to put with it.

The thing I most hate is forgetting clothes in the washer when it's hot out. I've never actually lost a load of clothes to mildew this way, but I've had to rewash a load a few times and some of my towels could smell fresher. ARGGHHH.

allome
02-04-07, 04:17 PM
I absolutely...with a PASSION...hate to do laundry...it piles up for at least like 2 weeks before i start to "Say" i'm going to the laundromat...by the beginning of week 3 my gf just gets up and does it herself...

If I do go myself...i get nervous because i don't want the other ppl in the laundromat to question MY METHOD of doing laundry...I often find myself just overwhelmed with keeping up with what went in first...what should come out...i mean the whole experience is horrifying

I buy multiples of basic things i need just BECAUSE chances are I will not make it to the laundromat before they run completely out.

Jett
07-21-07, 11:04 PM
You're not alone. I will do laundry or wash dishes and then not put them away. Tonight I have a bunch of dishes that I washed but are still sitting on the counter.

I used to have my own washer and dryer but now I go to my mom's house since she lives so close.

When I had my own washer and dryer, I would wash clothes and dry them. But they would sometimes stay in the dryer until I started a new batch of laundry. Then I would just dump the clean clothes on top of the dryer until I had a big heap of laundry or I would dump them on the floor or put them in a garbage bag.

Less Headroom
09-08-07, 03:31 AM
I am the same way,,,,, wash dry no sweat,,,, fold ummmmmmmmmm ,,,,,,, it is really sad when my kids go to school and i am trying to shake the wrinkles out their shirt first from being in a pile,,,, see,, once the basket has been gone through enough, it gets dumped and besides more clothes are coming out of the dryer so I need it. My room is my closet,, I have piles of clothes all over it. I am so grateful for pull out couches or I would have no where to sleep.

I have come to a realization though. It is so very strange for me but My 8 year old daughter that I have spoke of in other threads is starting to enjoy the tasks I hate the most. Folding Laundry is one of those things. She has been spending about 30 minutes a night the last two nights in my room folding clothes. She also loves to do dishes. I think she is most deffinately a keeper.Keeper?

If you can produce a couple more like that you might have a goldmine....

Greeen
09-08-07, 12:47 PM
Ah..laundry lol.. I just put away a load of clothes that I washed a week ago while I was on the phone with a friend. Funny thing is, this morning I had completely forgotten that I folded and put away the clothes..I was like wait a second..what happen?

It's all or nothing for me a lot of the time..I wash everything I own or nothing at all and it piles up. I had to wash because I was out of undies but even that was a chore lol..

piglet
09-11-07, 01:33 PM
yeah, the putting away is the problem. I have lots of clean clothes, but nothing to wear.

And putting groceries away when I come home from the store, man, I really have to dig out my inner "adult" to do THAT. I am so bored with what I've bought by the time I've chosen it, paid for it, put it in the car, carrried it in from the car and put it in the kitchen. "What do you mean, I'm not DONE yet?" I often ask for help with that last part, or just delegate it entirely, thank God my son is still of an agethat I can tell him to do something. When he grows up and moves out, all our food's gonna rot on the counter, still in the grocery bags.:cool: