View Full Version : Social Drinking

EYEFORGOT
09-24-05, 06:59 PM
I have bipolar type II, and take Lamictal for it. I have been drinking socially all along, but take care not to do it excessively. I don't like to drink to excess with or without bipolar.

A friend told me that her brother takes the same thing and isn't supposed to drink at all. I checked with my doctor and he agrees that more than one beer at a football game or a glass of wine with dinner once a week is fine, but no more than that.

I know I read about the effects of alcohol on bipolar but can't find the article. My doctor said that even on meds alcohol will effect me as it does bipolar.

So, does anyone know what the effects of alcohol are on bipolar? Doesn't it cause more cycling? Any other concerns?

EYEFORGOT
10-05-05, 10:38 AM
Substance use should be discouraged. Even modest social drinking can lead to mood disturbance. In addition, substances such as alcohol can interact with medications, disinhibit patients and contribute to risky behaviors.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000915/1343.html

speedo
10-07-05, 07:00 PM
It is my understanding that it is a very good idea to avoid alcohol if you are bipolar.

Me :D