View Full Version : Conduct Disorder Symptoms

Andrew
03-09-03, 09:01 PM
Conduct Disorder Symptoms

A repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others or major age-appropriate societal norms or rules are violated, as manifested by the presence of three (or more) of the following criteria in the past 12 months, with at least one criterion present in the past 6_months:

Aggression to people and animals

*often bullies, threatens, or intimidates others
*often initiates physical fights
*has used a weapon that can cause serious physical harm to others (e.g., a bat, brick, broken bottle, knife, gun)
*has been physically cruel to people
*has been physically cruel to animals
*has stolen while confronting a victim (e.g., mugging, purse snatching, extortion, armed robbery)
*has forced someone into sexual activity

Destruction of property

*has deliberately engaged in fire setting with the intention of causing serious damage
*has deliberately destroyed others' property (other than by fire setting)

Deceitfulness or theft

*has broken into someone else's house, building, or car
*often lies to obtain goods or favors or to avoid obligations (i.e., "cons" others)
*has stolen items of nontrivial value without confronting a victim (e.g., shoplifting, but without breaking and entering; forgery)

Serious violations of rules

*often stays out at night despite parental prohibitions, beginning before age 13 years
*has run away from home overnight at least twice while living in parental or parental surrogate home (or once without returning for a lengthy period)
*is often truant from school, beginning before age 13 years

The disturbance in behavior causes clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.

If the individual is age 18 years or older, criteria are not met for Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Criteria summarized from:
American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fourth edition. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.

From Mental Help Net

ADHD_Georgia
01-21-12, 01:40 PM
Tell me if this scenario sounds like Conduct Disorder:

I used to work as a cart associate at a major supercenter store in my city. One night I was getting some shopping carts from the parking lot to take back into the store. I had my back turned to a customer whom had just come onto the parking lot and wanted to park in a parking space beside the cart corral where I was removing buggies. She beeped her horn at me to let me know she needed to get by and into the parking palce. Since my back was turned to her, the horn startled me a bit. I waved at her. She goes into the store and complained to the manager that I made a vulgar finger gesture at her. I ended up getting terminated over the incident. Now, I am not in the habit of making vulgar gestures at people. Could I have done it without realizing it.

A few minutes after the incident I was called into the manager's office and cracked under pressure. I initially confessed to having made the vulgar gesture. Later, after having thought about it, I got to thinking, "you know, flipping people off is totally unlike something I would do. I went back through the chain of command with the store manager, and the district manager, saying that if I did indeed make the vulgar gesture, that I did it without realizing it. They were considering giving me my job back until,as they said, I "recanted" my story. Does this sound like conduct disorder? could I possibly have my therapist intervene and help me get my job back?

AC360CNN
02-21-12, 09:05 PM
I read the description of the disorder above. It says that people with the disorder intimidate others, and lie to obtain goods, favors, or to avoid obligations. I didn't see anything about blacking out, memory lapses, or spasms causing involuntary gestures.

I find it very odd that you confessed to the vulgar gesture despite having no recollection of it happening. Wouldn't a natural reaction be surprise and confusion, not confession?

If you actually had the disorder then maybe you would have made the gesture. But since you didn't do the gesture (at least not on purpose) then maybe you have a memory disorder or a disorder involving physical spasms? I'm not familiar but you might look into disorders with those symptoms.

D3s0xyn
03-04-12, 11:33 PM
Conduct Disorder is essentially continually doing bad/illegal things and having no respect for any kind of rules. People with this disorder if it is allowed to progress into adulthood, almost always get expelled for school and have problems with the law. People with this disorder tend to feel little to no guilt for their actions.

The fact that you think the gesture was not in your nature, is indicative that you probably don't have conduct disorder.

Your situation does sound strange, and I would certainly see a doctor if such an incident reoccurs.

Modafinilguy
09-29-13, 12:18 PM
ADHD_Georgia, that isn't conduct disorder and no your therapist can't get you your job back!

Fergie
05-20-16, 06:51 PM
Ugh.... so.... if I violate important rules - but rules of, well, functionality - but for me, they are rules,
so if I

*routinely go to bed past 3 am thus undermining the whole next day functioning
*routinely play computer games/do social media instead of doing what I need to do
*on occasion, eat stuff that I know will make me sick in those quantities - like, nuts; I cannot stop eating nuts out of a jar until the jar is finished and by then my stomach will hurt through the night

do I have conduct disorder?

Fergie
05-20-16, 06:57 PM
Duuuuuuude. Ask yourself - what is more likely - that you, with no history of rude gestures before or after did it on this occasion - or that an angry lady who was already being confrontational saw something like your raised hand (you said you waved) and interpreted it as you giving her the finger? (being that it is difficult to necessarily see what exactly you are doing with that raised hand)?

You totally didn't do it!!!! I mean sure, there can be other explanations - some memory lapse on your part, some non-verbal Tourette's of sorts that you are not aware of, or maybe (like in Babel-17), intentional self-hypnosis to make yourself forget, but none of them seem as likely as the confrontational lady mistaking your gesture for a rude one!

Tell me if this scenario sounds like Conduct Disorder:

Since my back was turned to her, the horn startled me a bit. I waved at her. She goes into the store and complained to the manager that I made a vulgar finger gesture at her. I ended up getting terminated over the incident. Now, I am not in the habit of making vulgar gestures at people. Could I have done it without realizing it.

A few minutes after the incident I was called into the manager's office and cracked under pressure. I initially confessed to having made the vulgar gesture. Later, after having thought about it, I got to thinking, "you know, flipping people off is totally unlike something I would do. I went back through the chain of command with the store manager, and the district manager, saying that if I did indeed make the vulgar gesture, that I did it without realizing it. They were considering giving me my job back until,as they said, I "recanted" my story. Does this sound like conduct disorder? could I possibly have my therapist intervene and help me get my job back?

Bouncingoffwall
04-07-17, 11:42 PM
Adding to this, there's no mistaking conduct disorder when you see it. Kids like this are usually thugs. They're completely out of control and show no remorse for their actions. They go on to become sociopaths and usually spend lots of time in prison. Or, they end up like Bernie Madoff and royally screw people over for their own profit.

The posters here made me chuckle a bit. A person with Conduct Disorder doesn't wonder if they have it.