View Full Version : House hold appliance vent thread AHhhhh

meadd823
09-24-05, 10:28 PM
Ever been disappointed by a house hold appliance???...for me it is the vacuum cleaner. Before we got together my male partner paid an enormous price for this Orateck vacuum cleaner. He pointed out a commercial where they were using the smaller cleaner to suck up a bowling ball.....

Okay neither of us bowls, besides I have never had the need to suck up a $#@*& bowling ball. The little cleaner burned up six months ago. I replaced it with some thing that cost half the money. Works fine so far...plenty of homeless spider at testify to that. ;) The larger cleaner is a pain in me brain. I have to remove five screws just to change the stupid belt.....what a pain. I am always having to pull my hair out of the dumb roller. :rolleyes: The belt frequently breaks because the "wonderful" roller brush thing can't handle my long hair.

My hair is long to my waist thick, and coarse, like horses hair...but I have been sucking it up for 25 years with Wal-Mart cheepies without problems.......I don't need a vacuum cleaner to suck up nails or bowling balls :mad: I need one that can handle dog, cat, and human hair, kitty littler, mud chunks, grass sprigs, little carpet fuzzes, and the unknown crunchy substances that live in corners!!!!!!

He talked me into selling my Wal-Mart cheepie AHHhhhhh I miss my cheepie vacuum!!!!!!!

Got a house hold appliance that is user unfriendly, PIA, not all it's cracked up to be???? Please....do share!!!! :D

Jaycee
09-24-05, 10:46 PM
Maybe it's vaccums..we just get attached. About 6 months ago I decided to retire my old Dirt Devil for a more expensive brand and guess what? Although the new brand is a bagless with hepa filters and all of that, it's way too picky. Little things seem to clog it's system, so I'm forever taking the darn thing appart. With the kids always making messes this is a serious hassel. The old one would suck up socks without a prob. The new one won't even touch potatoe chip spills.
I'm seriously thinking of buying a new $40 vaccum to save myself the time and energy.

sosninity
09-24-05, 11:01 PM
You two are obviously younger than I am, and just entering the zen of vacuums. ;)
I have said more than once: "I go through vacuum cleaners the way some women go through husbands."
Since we're in the ADD forums, I trust you will get the meaning and joke and all.

meadd823
09-25-05, 12:32 AM
Although the new brand is a bagless with hepa filters and all of that, it's way too picky. Little things seem to clog it's system, so I'm forever taking the darn thing appart.

Those hepa-filters don't suck which sucks (lol)--hepa-filters don't like cat/dog hair much either....they aren't a very good idea I think they expect you to change the stupid filter every time one clogges up. Know what those things can run without the filter in there!!!! :)

The bagless thing well I guess this saves buying the bags but is messier....Mom taught me to take old vacuum cleaner bag out over out side trash. ADDed experience taught her bags changed inside mean filling up half of new bag with stuff spilled out of old bag during changes. Se she had us change the bags out side...kept new bag out in guarage!!!!!!

You two are obviously younger than I am, and just entering the zen of vacuums

I adore a woman who makes me feel young!!!!! :p

"I go through vacuum cleaners the way some women go through husbands."

Have had vacuums cleaner out last several relationships. Even the Orateck is easier to live with than it's owner!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

stori813
10-02-05, 03:53 AM
The one appliance I have that bothers me is the microwave door.
I'm left handed and having the door swing open to the left is an annoyance.
It would just make more sense for me if it opened to the right.

Draven
10-02-05, 09:45 AM
Can openers

I am bad about going to Walmart and buying the cheapest can opener possible only to have it stop working right in a couple months. Last year there was a delay in my income tax return and I was so upset with my can opener and the fact that I could not afford a new one till I got my money that I threw it on the floor and screamed at it that if I had my d@mn money this one not be a %%%%ing problem any more! My new can opener was not the cheapest brand and it actually has lasted me a year and a half now lol. No More $10 Can Openers Ever!

meadd823
10-04-05, 10:31 PM
garden hoses that leak around the ends of the nozzel. I bathed the dog just before dark...well by the time I was done it was dark and I couldn't see the little leak around the nozzel and it hit me with cool water right in the *rotch!!!!!!

vegansoprano
01-04-06, 05:29 PM
I get my vacuum cleaners secondhand. I'm a klutz and have a gaggle of cats to clean up after so it's "a hard knock life" for any vacuum in my house. I think the ultimate reincarnation for a really evil person would be to come back as my vacuum!

Anyhow, I am able to get good quality canister-type used vacuums for around $40, used. They usually last about a year. So far, so good.

meadd823
01-12-06, 08:06 AM
canister-type used vacuums for around $40, used

Gary blamed our pets for being hard on the vacuum roller thingies but both (one cat one dog) have short hair!!!! My hair is three and 1/2 feet long at least Gary's is about 12-18 inches.....

I was talking to a friend who was telling me one of his relatives spent $4,000 on a Hoover...for $4,000 I would want to be able to slap a license plate on it and drive it down the road..that is more expensive than the car I presently drive.