View Full Version : Drives me nutz

Lipz17
09-26-05, 04:37 PM
I do not know what it is but i can listen to music loud as can be and love it but you turn on the television and have it up even a little bit and it drives me crazy.i mean i actually get mad cause i hate the sound of it.Hate is a very strong word but it drives me nuts.Why would this be does anyone know?

Uminchu
09-26-05, 05:53 PM
Is it when you are trying to do something else and have it in the background?

Lots of radio stations are kind of designed to be "backgrounded," while TV is usually designed to grab our attention (so we don't flip the dial). I know that when I work I like the TV off, but I listen to music all day.

stori813
09-26-05, 06:45 PM
I have to agree with what Uminchu expressed.
Having music on all day is great for me.
It gets me moving and is not a distraction.
I hate it when I'm doing something and someone else turns the TV on.
TV is highly distracting and the sounds from it are irritating.
I can only have the TV on when I sit down at night after dinner to relax.
When my goal is to watch TV then I can enjoy it.
Listening to music the sound is pretty consistent.
Unlike the TV with voices then commercials come on playing different music and sounds.
I also find myself muting a lot of commercials on TV or changing the channel.
Because they are louder and hard to listen too.

Lipz17
09-26-05, 08:44 PM
I do as well listen to music all day long but i do not even have to be doing anything and the noise of the TV drives me crazy.i do not know what it is but it drives me nuts.

stori813
09-27-05, 02:24 AM
Lipz17 I feel like the sound from the TV is an intrusion into my thoughts.
Maybe its that way for you too.

Lipz17
09-27-05, 07:17 AM
Im thinking so cause the tv comes on and I get so annoyed it just drives me crazy.

fasttalkingmom
09-27-05, 11:30 AM
I do not know what it is but i can listen to music loud as can be and love it but you turn on the television and have it up even a little bit and it drives me crazy.i mean i actually get mad cause i hate the sound of it.Hate is a very strong word but it drives me nuts.Why would this be does anyone know?

OMG !!!! ME TOO !!!

speedo
10-02-05, 09:14 PM
A long time ago I worked as a broadcast radio engineer. TV audio is frequently deliberately processed to make it annoying. Some genius in the 70's figured out that annoying TV commercials got more attention and sold more goods. Those are the TV comercials that suddenly get loud or have irritating voices, sounds and music. Since commercial TV can show commercial content as much as once every 5 minutes it can be pretty darn annoying and very distracting. In any case, the content of TV ends up so dyslexic and fragmented it is decidedly not very helpful to persons who are a bit stressed or easily distracted in the first place.

Me :D

Jaycee
10-02-05, 11:12 PM
Cool Speedo...I learn something new everyday..although I did realize commercials are quite a bit louder.
A Sound Smart feature on your TV would probably be a great idea for you as it keeps the sound more steady.

muffin47
10-25-05, 08:00 PM
I don't know, but I'm the same way

Draven
10-25-05, 08:24 PM
Walks in the room and switches all the TV's on lol

I have this problem sometimes too but noise of any kind gets to me at some point or another.

Grrrrrrr,,,, too much noise lol,,, just as I was writing that 5 kids busted in my office fighting over a little action figure. You know it is cause I turned the TV's on lol

Crazygirl79
10-25-05, 08:52 PM
I'm like this too....and even worse I have very little attention span to actually watch the TV unless there's something interesting on it...lol.....but I can concentrate for hours listening to music.I do not know what it is but i can listen to music loud as can be and love it but you turn on the television and have it up even a little bit and it drives me crazy.i mean i actually get mad cause i hate the sound of it.Hate is a very strong word but it drives me nuts.Why would this be does anyone know?

INaBOX
12-03-05, 03:56 AM
I'm not sure if this was mentioned but I think it has a lot to do with predictability. For example, when you're listening to the radio, most often than not you're familiar with the song playing or can gage when the music has started and when it's about to end. The duration of music is roughly similar in length and when a commercial pops up or the DJ speaks you embrace that break because it's on a set schedule. Watching television isn't as predictable. Commercials are fast paced, slow paced, loud, quiet, dark, bright (overstimulating); there's no consistency; you can't predict what is going to happen next; and no one is singing or playing music. I think rythm and intonation itself says a lot. Besides, having the TV blaring is as if someone is yelling at you. There's never any comfort in that. Also music is usually filled with emotion. I'm guessing the tunes you're listening to in full blast are of those you can relate to and is your form of self-expression through this relation.

Ok, maybe I'm just rambling here.

stori813
12-04-05, 03:05 PM
INaBOX Cool ramble.:)
You hit the nail on the head with that explanation.

Prairiewind
02-20-06, 10:05 PM
We've recently moved around in our department at work and now I'm near people who run their mouths ALL DAY. Also there is a small refridgerator near me and today I could hear IT running all day. DROVE ME CRAZY!

Crazygirl79
02-21-06, 07:18 PM
I find this kind of thing worse when I haven't slept properlyWe've recently moved around in our department at work and now I'm near people who run their mouths ALL DAY. Also there is a small refridgerator near me and today I could hear IT running all day. DROVE ME CRAZY!

ADHDDeeJay
02-22-06, 06:56 PM
Hmm, interesting topic! I tend to get hooked on TV. I can't do anything else if there is a good show on, although I try my hardest to get some homework done, I get too engrossed in whatever's on-air. Music, if I'm offmeds, I tend to jump through songs listening only to my favorite 15 seconds. But on meds, I can listen to the entire song, even if its 10 minutes long!