View Full Version : Maintaining Organization

Dixie_Amazon
09-30-05, 12:01 PM
I love getting things organized. When I was working others would ask me to set up their filing systems. I just can't seem to muster up the mental energy to maintain it.

meadd823
10-04-05, 10:35 PM
OHHhhh which is why I use the K.I.S.S. system my self...in case you haven't heard of this before K=keep, I=it, S=simple, S=stupid!!!!

For a system to be really effective it must be simple quick and easy or it just aint going to happen!!!!!

MrsBubblebrain
03-06-06, 01:52 AM
I love to organise as well, and can be good at it. I struggle to maintain but have found some concepts work better than others. One of the things I have learned about myself is that if I have to open something to put something away, I probably won't do it! LOL. I use baskets to organise things and rumage drawers.

Filing cabinets are like a black hole for me.

fuzzybrain
03-20-06, 11:46 AM
I love to organize too, but somewhere I read or heard, the reason you file, is to be able to retrieve, so keep that in mind as you file, ask yourself do I really need this, or can I do without it, and see how much you actually will look at something, or need to put your hands on it-check yourself every month-keep it simple is very necessary for me at least-if it isn't I have no chance of finding it again.

Julezz
03-20-06, 12:03 PM
Tammy I love that K.I.S.S. method. That is actually what I do, and now I have a name for it. I'm sure I've used the termanology before!! but now I know the meaning ;) .

meadd823
04-02-06, 05:12 PM
Tammy I love that K.I.S.S. method. That is actually what I do, and now I have a name for it. I'm sure I've used the termanology before!! but now I know the meaning

The "terminology" was reveled to me in much the same way.

It is the only system that works for me because if it is complicated "it" simply will not happen in my life time..... accepting this as being me went a long way toward "successful" organizing!

Filing cabinets are like a black hole for me.

For my personal use I have one of those "vertical" filing systems......I have simple labels on the dividers ...example "rent", "auto repair-include which auto", "nursing license".....when I have a piece of paper I need to keep I simply open drawer find proper category and chunk paper in that area. I try to put the latest piece of paper in the front.....this system works and can hold years of documents. I do not have to "maintain" (some thing else that will never happen) it beyond removing files to closed accounts.

To remove I file due to account closure or large size I simply put a few stables along the sides, wrap a large rubber band around the entire file, write years of activity on the out side in large letters with marker and chunk whole thing in box. When box gets full (has happened once in 13 years) I remove files from the bottom and ditch in shredder. The stuff I got rid of three years ago was over ten years old!

I can retrieve any thing I have filed in under ten minutes!

Things like birth certificates, deeds, titles, live in my safe and are not part of the "rotating" system....for obvious reasons!

lunaslobo
07-26-06, 08:24 AM
I was taught the K.I.S.S. methed in AA. That is one of my biggest problems i just dont know how to do anything small or simple. I tend to dothings in a hudgly grandios styly and then i dont or cant keep up with it. Like some of the others i have read on here i love to organize things love to straighten things out. but i too have problems keeping up.

~boots~
07-26-06, 08:30 AM
I like to organize things by hiding them in cupboards :-)

chloe516
07-26-06, 12:13 PM
hehehe, I can organize very well! I also have simple methods of filing. I hate dealing with the regular file folders, so I use the hanging ones so they slide more easily and I don't have to fight with the folders. I don't like baskets because then dust gets down inside. I like to have things closed in so that way it's a sleek surface to dust. I hate having to move things when cleaning! :(

I also try to organize the files on my computer really well. I hate to see a huge mass of saved files, so I have lots of folders and sub-folders. For example, I have a lot of journal articles saved on my computer, I have a folder for "research" and then have categories of the journals subjects "ADHD" "phonics" "fluency" etc...

My problem is taking the extra three seconds to open the file cabinet to get the folder. :( The things I need file folders for are the things I LOATHE doing, so I just plop them off to the side and let them stack up. I hate sorting through my mail since I get so much junk mail, so I just let it stack up. Problem is, there gets to be such a stack from me not wanting to sort through it that I don't even usually read the magazines that I DO want to read! :faint: I do ok with the computer files, since I have to go through the process of saving anyway, I do find the correct folder to save my file.

Simple filing methods are wonderful, I just need to get myself in the habit of putting things away immediately. :rolleyes: Saving for later never works for me!

DCadult-Inatt
07-31-06, 12:00 AM
I keep picking systems and having no luck. A piece of paper from a staff person (I run an organization) on a marketing budget could end up filed under Finance, Marketing, Planning, the staffer's Name, Future Projects, To Do, etc. I can hardly remember where I put it when and where I should put the next one I get. I'm going in tomorrow to face another out of control pile. I want to Keep It Simple, but not sure how. This is an interesting thread though.

sasdebosque
07-31-06, 11:35 PM
I can organize the snot out of my filing system and still stick documents in the wrong file. I lose my list, leave my organizer at home or get so busy I forget to open it. Medication is the only thing that gets me through work. But home is totally beyond my grasp. How does one simplify and organize home taking into account severe ADHD?

Crazy~Feet
08-01-06, 07:53 PM
I can organize the snot out of my filing system and still stick documents in the wrong file. I lose my list, leave my organizer at home or get so busy I forget to open it. Medication is the only thing that gets me through work. But home is totally beyond my grasp. How does one simplify and organize home taking into account severe ADHD?If you find this out, do let me know, please??

I have it as simple as I can yet others cannot grasp it in my house and it still runs to shambles. Most frustrating thing!

Crazy :cool:

GeorgeT
08-19-06, 01:16 PM
chloe516
Here is a tip to quickly reduced your pile of mail. As soon as you bring the mail in look at the post mark in the upper right-hand corner of each piece. If it says "Standard Mail" "STD Mail" "Nonprofit Org" or some variation of standard or non-profit then immediately throw it in the trash without opening it (unless it is something you requested such as a non-profit's newsletter).
These are mass mailings and are not worth your time. Even if the outside of the envelope says, "YOU Have Been Selected...." don't take the bait. Everyone in your town received the same offer.
I once read that a pile of things is a pile of things to do. This is especially true of junk mail. Get this stuff into the garbage right away so you can clear your mind and schedule for the important stuff.
I deliver mail and had a customer who kept a garbage can on his front porch right below the mailbox. The junk mail never even made it into the house. This guy didn't allow advertisers to tie up even one minute of his precious time.

nature
08-19-06, 03:16 PM
Just bought ADD Friendly ways to Organize your Life and some other ADD books (e.g. Delivered from Distraction; this is my first real reading on the subject, ever!). Some of the stuff I'd already figured out but there is lots of good stuff and more importantly, a sense of hope. The three major challenges to staying organized and the solutions I have so far identifed to them are:

Getting started on cleaning up messes. Solutions that seem to work are setting limits to my effort in advance (I'll just do ___ for two minutes) for the first few attempts or asking for help.

Not overdoing it. Organizing is one of those tasks which, if I actually can get myself to start it, is pretty easy to do perfectly. I'm beginning to realize that for some people with ADD perfection is like heroin. Often if I start cleaning stuff up and don't get as much done as I would like it's because of hyperfocusing in that quest for the stimulus that comes from doing something perfectly. Solutions seem to be: let go of the concept of perfection; try to remember the big picture, again maybe by using a timer and a note: set the timer for ten minutes and put it on top of a note saying "am I focusing on getting ___ done as efficiently as possible (and thus imperfectly)". Repeat with timer as often as necessary. This one I haven't tried yet.

Maintenance ... doing it in real time. Of the three I think this is the hardest because it is where distractibility rears its ugly head. Solutions: tackle potentially chaos creating tasks (isn't that almost everything ;-) when I have the time and mental acuity (i.e. meds are working); work really hard at developing two core habits: putting things away immediately and throwing things away and, as already noted, KISS, which looks like different things for different people: colour coding folders that pertain to the same things and putting a matching code on the place where they live, making the homes for things as accessible as possible (baskets, open top filing systems), settling for some disorganization (the bank statements are all together even if they aren't sorted). Creating spaces that functionally facilitate organization in terms of how you move through them -- basket at the bottom of the stairs for things to go upstairs, the "mail centre" concept -- in my case a recycling bin next to the mailbox so stuff doesn't even get into the house etc.

Am looking starting to try those of the above strategies that I haven't yet tried.

Liebow
08-21-06, 05:05 AM
In response to George T. mail is the bain of my existence. Going to the post office to get my mail is worse than having a tooth pulled. Hence I put off going for weeks so I have three times as much and even less idea what to do with it all.

meadd823
08-27-06, 10:32 PM
These are mass mailings and are not worth your time. Even if the outside of the envelope says, "YOU Have Been Selected...."

This is exactly what I do I do not even bother opening junk mail. My nemesis is when Gary brings it to me I set it down next to my computer sort out what I want and leave the restů when the pile gets on my nerves I simply throw it away. I do the same with local ads. I either look at them right away or chunk immediately.

Solutions seem to be: let go of the concept of perfection;

Consider organization an art form (see my signature below)