View Full Version : fascination with material textures

speedo
10-02-05, 08:54 PM
Has anyone experienced the textures of some object to be very... well, pleasant or unpleasant ?

I have on one occasion foudn myself fascinated with the texture of a braille sign in an elevator, and on another occasion became very enamoured with the texture of a paper napkin. (please do not laugh!). On another occasion I was so stressed that the rubber cover on a sterring wheel felt like slimey goo. (not fun).

Am I the only one who does this ????

Me :D

Jaycee
10-02-05, 09:11 PM
Speedo..I still run my hands over everything on the racks when shopping and stop only when I find something that "feels right". I also like the feel of braille, and drive my husband nuts because I only buy the most expensive paper towels (Viva) because of the soft texture. Expensive paper napkins are good...rough ones totally disinterest me, although I will use them.

Goo...I love the stuff...even have the kids make it in my classroom...it has a soft cool feel to it.

My husband tells me I have The princess and the pea syndrome. One little speck of dirt and I'm having to shake out the sheet and remake the bed. Just another one of my cute little quirks
luckily I'm female so silk and soft nylon/rayon materials are common. It's harder to find clothes for my son who inherited his tactile defensiveness from me.

speedo
10-02-05, 09:19 PM
I am glad that I am not alone. I feel silly when I get fascinated with some otherwise bland object because it feels nice. ;)

I posted a line about hanes making a T shirt that appears to be designed for sensitive people. Hanes "Perfect T". :p I have a bunch of them and they never feel like the y are going to crawl all over me, and there are no tags, and the seams are folded flush. :)

Speedo..I still run my hands over everything on the racks when shopping and stop only when I find something that "feels right". I also like the feel of braille, and drive my husband nuts because I only buy the most expensive paper towels (Viva) because of the soft texture. Expensive paper napkins are good...rough ones totally disinterest me, although I will use them.

Goo...I love the stuff...even have the kids make it in my classroom...it has a soft cool feel to it.

My husband tells me I have The princess and the pea syndrome. One little speck of dirt and I'm having to shake out the sheet and remake the bed. Just another one of my cute little quirks
luckily I'm female so silk and soft nylon/rayon materials are common. It's harder to find clothes for my son who inherited his tactile defensiveness from me.

Gourmet
10-02-05, 09:20 PM
Jaycee, My parents called me the princess and the pea also for similar reasons. :)

My "fascination" has been known to embarrass me sometimes. More than once I've been called down for "making love" to fabrics.
"Mom..what are you doing?"
Or to strip to get out of a wool sweater.
"Mom.....what are you doing?"

Sounds kinda kinky. :faint:

speedo
10-02-05, 09:23 PM
LOL gourmet. Being male I am forbidden from admitting to stripping down and changing clothes altogether because I mistakenly wore a creepy shirt that I should have tossed out long ago. :eek:

Jaycee
10-02-05, 09:32 PM
More than once I've been called down for "making love" to fabrics LMAO-- I try not to rub my face across them in public...especially in the lingerie departments...the dressing room is another story.
Cashmere sweaters are my absolute favorite. I have a wool vigin wool blanket that is over 50 yrs old (a wedding gift to my parents) that I adore because it is so soft and heavy--not itchy like a lot of wool you buy now.

Being male I am forbidden from admitting to stripping down and changing clothes altogether because I mistakenly wore a creepy shirt that I should have tossed out long ago. :eek:

I'm trying to convince my son of this...he hasn't quite developed the male macho thing yet and changes 4 or 5 time every day....and yes I do buy him Haynes Tees.. His favorites are the basketball style shirts made from silky nylon with no logos and stripped of all tags.

Nova
10-03-05, 01:03 AM
I love the 'feel' of all 'Victorian-era' clothes...not just in a touchy sense..but the visual aspect also !
I was born at the wrong time, LOL!
Nova

Imnapl
10-03-05, 01:17 AM
Has anyone experienced the textures of some object to be very... well, pleasant or unpleasant ? Probably why I once was a fabricaholic.

loverainbow
12-30-15, 04:46 PM
Going to the fabric store where they sell rolls and rolls of different pattern of fabrics is my crack. As a kid I would touch every single thing and ahhhh its so much fun!!! As if different fabric has different personality. Hmmmm.