If i don't have any of those things going, I
need music really loud to concentrate. I
have various tastes, and depending on my mood
I can concentrate equally well listening to
heavy metal as with movie soundtracks

stori813
10-04-05, 04:23 PM
It all depends on the sound.
Some sounds make concentrating much easier.
While others are too distracting.
For instance I'm a much better driver blasting music then without it.
TV commercials I can't stand I find them very distracting.
I have one of those sound machines it's set on ocean sounds.
I use it to fall asleep with.
When I concentrate on that sound my mind quiet's down long enough for me to fall asleep.

Jaycee
10-04-05, 04:33 PM
Those white noise machines are not producing an natural environment sound, so it makes sese that the fans and hairdryers which are white noise sounds are more soothing. My children's rooms are near the laundry area at our house and I've noticed they go to sleep better when I'm washing clothes.

High pitch noises tend to annoy me big time.

Far Wanderer
10-04-05, 06:29 PM
I am definetely
really sensitive to high pitch
noises- drives me crazy

ugg! tv commercials are the worst

brandilyn
10-05-05, 01:41 AM
I have and have always had a fan blowing constant at night.I need the hum and the slow breeze cross my face every few seconds.

Crybaby1898
10-05-05, 01:43 AM
I can't go to asleep without the tv on what does that mean

pepperoni
10-05-05, 11:07 AM
I have had tinnitus, a noise that comes from within one's own ears, for almost 3 years. It was probably caused by repeated exposure to noise, in engineering labs, but I think stress played a part.Talk about driven to distraction. It's diminished, although very slowly, almost gone, but made a mess of my work on my doctorate. I had never thought about ADD until this year, and only because I voraciously surf through any kind of information. I was up the wall, and I recognized myself in too many of the possible symptoms. But, to get back on topic, I hate noise, and I never knew how much until I couldn't have quiet. I daydream of living out on a distant sand dune...

lostdog65
10-05-05, 02:54 PM
I have had tinnitus, a noise that comes from within one's own ears, for almost 3 years. It was probably caused by repeated exposure to noise, in engineering labs, but I think stress played a part.Talk about driven to distraction.
I've had tinnitus all my life. I'm 40. I have no idea was true quiet really is. Would probably freak out should I ever find it because there wouldn't be my constant companion...the buzzing/ringing in my ears!

White noise machines only exacerbate the situation. I'll put in ear plugs and let the tinnitus drown out any sounds. I can usually attain a deeper sleep state with the ear plugs than without...no outside distractions. (Like the wife snoring!)

Eric

babyboy
10-05-05, 08:55 PM
My husband has tinnitus also, and wears the earplugs almost constantly. He can only sleep with a tv on or he hears buzzing. anything else you can adviseto reduce it?

speedo
10-05-05, 10:20 PM
some vitamins help a little sometimes. E and B complex...
There is not much that can be done for tinnitus. I have had it for almost a year. Noise masking helps reduce it. I only wear earplugs when I must, and that is infrequent.

Me :D

pepperoni
10-06-05, 02:28 PM
Unfortunately, the most effective short term remedy for mine has been alcohol. A drink will almost invariably quiet it down. I've heard it may actually be a symptom of high cholesterol, (which I really should have checked.) Keeping good sleep hygiene (just heard that term today) also does a lot for me, but we know how hard that can be.

And quiet. I think the stuff you read about 'sound enrichment' is crap. Go ahead and wear your earplugs, because it takes very little to get it started, and they ring for hours...

Wish I knew the answer; I'd tell you.

lostdog65
10-06-05, 03:20 PM
I have to agree with pepperoni...alcohol tends to take the buzz out of the buzz! (Pun intended!) Other than that, I haven't found anything either on-line or from a doctor that can reduce the affects of tinnitus. I think most people just become accustomed to it and get on with their lives.

On occasion, one ear will plug up and the noise will become very loud. I just have to ride that out. But for sleeping, the ear plugs work the best for me...keeps the "white noise" of tinnitus in my ears and blocks out outside distractions so I can sleep.

Eric

herekittykitty
10-06-05, 03:44 PM
hate dripping water. Like on the news, if the cameraman is outside and holding an umbrella, the noise of the rain hitting it drives me out of my mind. I can feel my pulse quicken and my stomach tighten up.

gah, must get a grip here...

babyboy
10-07-05, 09:48 PM
I'm Babyboy's husband. She showed me your replies. I only wear the earplugs during the day when it is noisy--drills, vacuumns, hammering, loud talkers, etc-- to keep the tinnitis from getting worse. When it is quiet I need a walkman just loud enough to drown out the high pitched ringing-- like the noise a tv makes. I can only go to sleep with the tv on.
I believe mine is the result of being in a band when I was younger. One thing I found out is that the ringing could be the result of damage to the tiny hairs in your inner ear. Also, it is not a noise you hear but it is gernerated by your brain. I will try the vitamins, thanks.

Crazygirl79
10-09-05, 08:16 PM
Ok you're not weird...you're just different like the rest of us on this forum:D

I don't get much of a thrill out of a vaccum cleaner or hairdryer but I do LOVE my music up as loud as I can get it and I remember that I used to love the sound of trains...so yes I can relate.

o.k. I am weird. :D

anybody else?
even if its cold I have a fan blowing,
and I enjoy the sound of a hair dryer
on a low mode. also I find a vacumn cleaner
to be relaxing. I don't like those white noise
machines though.

If i don't have any of those things going, I
need music really loud to concentrate. I
have various tastes, and depending on my mood
I can concentrate equally well listening to
heavy metal as with movie soundtracks

muffin47
10-09-05, 09:07 PM
Hi Far Wanderer,

I can relate to the music......Wherever I go I have to have a radio or CD playing.
The white noise irritates me.....I don't like silence.

Deb

heightstv
10-10-05, 05:21 AM
Your not weird at all....I have a super hi velocity fan on almost all the time and it drowns out all but the loudest noises. It is very helpful. It is kind of like my version of quiet.

INaBOX
12-03-05, 03:11 AM
Interesting because I've got some quirks myself (my son has auditory SID). For example, I take extra long showers (unless if Im pressing for time) because the sound of the water soothes me; I dry my hair longer for this same reason; I keep my bathroom fan on long after the steam has disappeared (if I'm still using the room); if the music isn't on I find my self either singing or thinking of a tune in my mind; and as we speak (my house is silent) how do I stand it? I just noticed the humming from my computer .. i bet that's keeping me grounded.. not for long though. I need some music.

I have ADD. lol

privateperson1
02-04-06, 09:08 PM
fans that grind suck, especcialy those with anoying glass globes where the chain knocks against them TINK....TINK....TINK.....

:cool: @#$& FANS to #%$!.......

kansas2006
02-07-06, 08:52 PM
I love fans. I have needed fans to sleep all of my life. I actually bought a half dozen fans and left one in each of my relatives' house that I visit often, so I'd be sure there would be one to use when I stayed there. I have one kept in the car for times when I'm traveling and have to sleep somewhere there is no fan (or if I'm sharing a hotel room with someone who doesn't want to run the AC).

They are great for when there is a lot of outside noise - just move the fan close to your head and it drowns everything out. I've been known to go to Wal-Mart and buy one a couple of times that I found myself fan-less on a trip.

As others mentioned, ceiling fans are usually not sufficient. The motor and blades are too quiet and often there is vibration/creaking that is irritating.

Crazygirl79
02-07-06, 11:01 PM
Hey
I can relate to the fans thing too, in summer I must sleep with a fan on and in winter I must be rugged up in a light doona and have the fan going at the same time.....what do you think that is???......I've always wondered why I do that.I love fans. I have needed fans to sleep all of my life. I actually bought a half dozen fans and left one in each of my relatives' house that I visit often, so I'd be sure there would be one to use when I stayed there. I have one kept in the car for times when I'm traveling and have to sleep somewhere there is no fan (or if I'm sharing a hotel room with someone who doesn't want to run the AC).

They are great for when there is a lot of outside noise - just move the fan close to your head and it drowns everything out. I've been known to go to Wal-Mart and buy one a couple of times that I found myself fan-less on a trip.

As others mentioned, ceiling fans are usually not sufficient. The motor and blades are too quiet and often there is vibration/creaking that is irritating.

sybil
08-02-08, 01:05 AM
I don't really have any sleep preferences.

I don't like the sound of hair dryers and the air tickles my ears like crazy! I am not fond of the vacuum cleaners, either. My favorite sound besides music would be a water fountain. Ocean sounds are nice but they scare me too because it makes me think of sharks!

I guess I do like the sound of the heat going on in the winter.

Louder Than Love
08-02-08, 03:36 PM
Gotta have:

A fan.
Either a movie or music.
DARKNESS.

not just any movie will do either...
It has to be a dark semi-quiet film, preferably with grainy green tones, and eerie music.
Exp. Se7en, Saw, Saw2, Captivity

mykill
08-02-08, 03:43 PM
i need music or a low-level hum (the freeway buzz works nicely) to sleep. And hairdryers/vacuums, etc? I want to smash them into little pieces when i hear them.

Louder Than Love
08-02-08, 03:45 PM
And hairdryers/vacuums, etc? I want to smash them into little pieces when i hear them.

Vacuums are the worst, all I have to say is, thank the tile gods for hardwood.

Carissa
04-27-09, 10:28 PM
A fan is a wonderful thing:) So soothing.