View Full Version : Whats the difference between Metadate CD and Concerta

LiLMissADDitude
09-19-03, 08:38 PM
Whats the difference between Metadate CD and Concerta?

Tara
09-19-03, 09:51 PM
Both are forms of methylphenidate.

Concerta comes in 18, 27, 36, and 54 mg. The 1st release of concerta is 22% of the dosage and the 2nd release is 78%. It is supposed mimic 3 times a day dosing and its lasts 10-12 hours.

Metadate CD only comes in 20 mg. The 1st release of Metadate CD is 30% of the doasge and the 2nd release is 70%. It is supposed to mimic twice a day dosing and lasts 4-8 hours.

LiLMissADDitude
09-19-03, 09:56 PM
Ah ok thanks, but then..... what about ritalin LA??

Tara
09-19-03, 10:02 PM
Comes in 20,30, and 40 mg, 50/50 release and lasts 6 to 8 hours. It comes in a capsule form and the beads can be sprinkled.

LiLMissADDitude
09-19-03, 10:03 PM
Wow what a quick response, thanks a bunch!

Energizer_Bunny
10-19-03, 11:49 AM
I am on Metadate CD and love it. I take 40 mgs. I found that I have less anxiety than with the Adderall and with the Tourettes, my tics are not as bad.

In my personal opinion, this is a great med. I am surprised that more people have not tried it.

shadowfax
01-10-05, 08:33 AM
Tara and Energizer Bunny, thank you for all this great info on ADD meds! Tara, where did you find this detailed info? I'd like to find out more about Metadate CD. I've never really heard of it, but it does sound worth a try, especially for my ADHD son. He takes 18mg of Concerta but it's really affecting his appetite, and he's thin to begin with (72 lbs., age 12).
Energizer Bunny, what made you decide to try Metadate CD? Did you try ever try Concerta or Ritalin LA? If so, what were the differences, if any? Thanks very much.

barbarian
11-23-05, 02:24 AM
I realize that people respond differently to different medications. But I must say that Metadate CD is a blessing from God for me. I am twenty-three years old with an attention-deficit condition. I couldn't pay attention to save my life before I got treated. Now that I'm on Metadate CD, it has been the best thing that has happened to me. It lasts roughly 7-8 hours for me. But when it's working, it's working. And when it's worn down, it's worn down. I feel exhausted after its effects wear off.

I don't know what your symptons are/were, but I can say that I was so bad that I'd literally be stuck on the same page in a book for an hour because I could never get myself to pay attention. But ever since my doctor prescribed me Metadate CD, I no longer have that problem. And as far as listening to people is concerned, I am 100% better at not interrupting them before they finish what they're saying; something my doctor says is a natural impulse of impatience that Metadate CD works to fix.

I retain information so much better and can recite things with relative ease. There is no more information going in one ear and out the other for me when listening to speakers. Metadate CD has been absolutely wonderful for me. I have also heard that Ritalin is very effective, too. I haven't tried it, but it may be something to look into. To the best of my knowledge, Ritalin is normally cheaper than other medications such as Metadate CD.

Metadate CD happens to be on the more expensive side. However, I was able to get the first month of pills of Metadate CD for free! My doctor gave me a coupon and all I had to do was activate it and I got the first month's worth of pills for free. If your doctor does offer this, you may want to try this to see if the medication works for you...and at no cost. So if it does nothing for you, then you will have wasted no money in terms of a prescription.

But, I'm not sure if every doctor is doing this. But it never hurts to ask! My doctor had a bunch of brochures on the Metadate CD "first month free" deal. I'm just trying to throw some suggestions out...good luck.

MillenniumMan
11-24-05, 07:50 PM
I just don't get why "it can be sprinkled"...but any how

w.a.m.h.
06-04-06, 12:39 PM
each individual bead inside the capsile releases and different times so you can sprinkle it. You cannot crunch or chew the beads because then you get the whole dose at once.

sasa
07-11-06, 09:19 PM
Metadate CD actually comes in 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 mg strengths - I take 60 a day and used have to take 2 30's now I just take one. They can be sprinkled for people who can't swallow pills. I have done better on this than any med.

janyben
12-20-07, 03:32 PM
My almost 7 yr old son is on his 3rd day of Medatate CD, 10mg. We sprinkle onto a spoon of applesauce as he cant swallow pills yet. The dr indicated that he may be better suited for a 12 hr medicine but that since he cant swallow pills, this is our only option at this time. He said Medatate is good for about 10 hrs. Then, told me to start having him practice swallowing. So far I think the med is good.. but the dose is too low. He has no rebound. Only side effect is a slight decrease in appitite, very slight ... but he still seems pretty hyper. The teacher said it's hard to tell because all the kids are so wound up because of the holidays and all the special parties and stuff they are having at school... so I'm looking forward to this weekend when I'll be with him for two full days in a row so I can see for myslef what he is like with the meds in him. I kinda wish I waited until the weekend to start him on it!

JR1973
12-21-07, 11:10 AM
Have you looked into Daytrana (patch)? Metadate CD was only designed to last 6-8 hours (equals 2 doses of Ritalin IR).

J

gh342000
12-28-07, 11:49 PM
Both are forms of methylphenidate.

Concerta comes in 18, 27, 36, and 54 mg. The 1st release of concerta is 22% of the dosage and the 2nd release is 78%. It is supposed mimic 3 times a day dosing and its lasts 10-12 hours.

Metadate CD only comes in 20 mg. The 1st release of Metadate CD is 30% of the doasge and the 2nd release is 70%. It is supposed to mimic twice a day dosing and lasts 4-8 hours.

This is great information.

I am looking to change to Metadate from Concerta, mainly because my insurance is changing to an HSA.

Now I understand why when I was titrating up, the 2nd dose always felt strong. Didn't realize that it was 78% of the med at one shot.

I currently take 36mg of Concerta, it seems that the equivalent is (2) 20mg Metadate. Mg per mg this seems to be a fair comparison, is this a correct assumption?

By the way, 30 day supply of 36mg Concerta 136.00, 30 day supply of Metadate ER 2X20 is 18.00.

ADHDGuy
02-11-08, 11:13 PM
In your post, you mention that you get 22% of Concerta and then 78% and then mentioned you didn't know you got the 78% all at once which is incorrect.

With concerta, you get the first 22% as an immediate release so what ever dose you are on, 18, 27, 36, 54, or 72 - you are getting 22% of that within the first hour approximately of taking your pill. That is an important point to remember, because if you have been taking Methylphenidate previously in an immediate release form such as regular Ritialin, you need to make sure you are getting enough immediate release to begin your day with Concerta or other long acting methylphenidate. For example, if you are taking 36mg of Concerta you get just about 8mg immediate release. So if you are used to taking 10mg of Ritalin in the morning, you may need to bump up to the next dosing level of 54mg if the symptoms are not fully covered as before.

Concerta is designed as a 12 hour drug to mimick the dosing of regular methylphenidate three times a day without the rebound effect of dosing an immediate release methylphenidate thur the day. The 78% of the second part of Concerta is NOT released all at once. That dose is slowly released out over the next 10 to 11 hours after the immediate release dose.

Hope that helps clarify things!

Good Luck.....

LunaLovegood
10-03-10, 12:25 PM
I take Metadate on the weekends (because it's shorter lasting) and I like it a lot better than Concerta (which I take on schooldays). It doesn't make me as twitchy and moody.

small
03-08-11, 05:01 PM
I am possibly looking to switch my son from concerta to metadate. He's not responding at all to concerta. His focus was great at 18mg but it didn't help his hyperactivity or impusliveness at all. Dr said let's go to 36 mg and it still isn't helping his hyperactivity impulsiveness and his focus is much worse in school now :(

I know they are similar meds but am hoping that since the delivery is different it may help my son.

My ped first wanted to start with focalin but concerta was my choice because it is longer acting. I have a few friends that kids' didn't get anything out of concerta but have seen great results with metadate. We will be switching on friday.