View Full Version : Firewall Software

Andrew
09-21-03, 08:59 PM
Do you know what a Firewall is? (No, its not part of a burning structure) Have a favorite software (or hardware) based firewall? Questions about getting yours to work right? This is the place to discuss them!

waywardclam
09-21-03, 09:43 PM
Again, as a technician I recommend ZoneAlarm, available free from www.zonelabs.com, again, don't accidentally download the pay version.

Andrew
09-21-03, 09:47 PM
I would have to agree....ZoneAlarm, by Zonelabs, is an excellent software based firewall.

sleepzalot
09-23-03, 04:55 AM
I use Nortons which works fine for me.

sleepz

Andrew
09-23-03, 08:16 AM
As each product has its strengths & weaknesses, I use a multi-layered approach to security - multiple firewalls (both software and hardware), routers and....a few "other things" :D

InattentiveType
09-23-03, 11:21 AM
Bump for Zone Alarm. Best pure software firewall out there IMHO. Very easy for anyone to use, and lots of features for advanced users (especially the pro version which alows you to list specific ports that only specific programs can use. Can't do that with a hardware firewall :D ).

Just make sure you don't get into the habit of clicking "yes" to all the boxes that pop up. Read the name of the program trying to gain access to the Internet, if you don't know what it is do a google search and try to determine what program it's associated with. If still not sure ask a computer-savvy friend.

Andrew
09-23-03, 02:26 PM
Agrees with InattentiveType on both counts:

ZoneAlarm is great, and pay attention to the pop-up boxes!