View Full Version : Depressed after actually finishing a big project

Alys
10-17-05, 05:38 PM
I was diagnosed with ADHD about one year ago. Since then I have been taking medication and doing behavioral therapy.
I am very busy all the time, but I am actually getting things done now. :eek:
Once I finish with a big project and there is nothing left to do I do get really depressed. I am wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar. I feel like I am missing something really critical when there is no way I could be. I know I should be saying no to some of the projects so I can actually sleep, but as long as I keep a little level of stress I feel so much better. :eyebrow:

Uminchu
10-17-05, 05:45 PM
This is a pretty normal thing for ADD. I think it was Driven to Distraction that says something like "Learn to expect that you will feel letdown after achieving success."

Alys
10-18-05, 02:45 AM
Thanks for letting me know. It is good to know that I am not alone in this. It just seemed so counter intuitive. Here I have been struggling for years trying to get stuff done, and yet when I do get things done, I am sad.

Does anyone know if there has been research into why this happens? I looked into my husbands driven to distraction book, and could not find anything.

Ian
10-18-05, 10:05 AM
I've found low level aerobic exercise takes a lot of the roller coaster out of my days. I have a flatter emotional curve if I'm not over doing it.

Love the avatar! :D
Cheers! Ian.

pith30
10-20-05, 07:01 AM
Yes, yes, yes...somone gets this to. I thought it was just me but when i finish a project i get very depressed, nothing helps until i have a new project.

whiteraven
10-20-05, 09:13 AM
It is something to do with the loss of an intense focus, and very normal for ADDers.
Besides the above things, like exercise etc. you could keep small, but intensely focused ongoing projects like, um, needlepoint, pen and ink drawing, handquilting, intricate woodwork, life novel etc. to work on in between.
Best wishes.

neuroangel
12-06-05, 09:35 PM
Alys --

I get that way too. Part of my problem is I have no one to share my achievments and moments of joy with. Everything I do seems hollow and pointless. I try not to dwell on the feeling of disappointment when I finish something and just move on. It's not always easy though.

Cyndi