View Full Version : Focusing behaviors?

nuffsed
10-18-05, 09:53 PM
As you might imagine, I enjoy and do well at activities where my mind is able to focus on ONLY ONE THING AT ONE TIME. Usually having my hands involved in this activity makes me happy and calm. Typing, playing the guitar, etc.

Have any of you had any success in "teaching" yourself how to focus on only one thing at one time. My mind is always racing, even tho I'm taking 80 mg Strattera per day. I'm more aware of my racing thoughts and can see them as such since I've been on medication. Without it, thoughts are too muddy to see or concentrate on anything (very much like 4 televisions tuned to 4 different channels - ouch!)

Any suggestions on how to train my brain to think only one thought at a time would be very helpful. Thanks in advance:) !!!

Scattered
10-28-05, 11:44 PM
The only time I can focus on just one thing without getting too distracted is when the topic is very interesting to me personally -- then you can't pull me off topic. I'll keep coming back to it.

Scattered

crime_scene
10-29-05, 01:25 AM
Gee, I haven't heard of anything that will stop your racing thoughts in my research, and I'm sure if my ADD friend could do so, he would have done it already...

the only thing he's mentioned about keeping a task in mind is that he changes hats frequently...or as he says "wigs". I think it's like role playing games, you tackle it from this angle, or you tackle it from that perspective.

Oh, and of course there's the multi-tasking option...I always think of it as using up the excess cycles doing something else while you have the desired task at hand. For example, my friend, when talking on the phone with me, might clean the house, plant stuff in his garden, sort cd's, prepare dinner, make coffee, that sort of thing.

It's terrific for me, because he can continue with our conversation in a pretty much "average" manner (from my perspective on the other end), and he satisifies his brain's desire for more stimulation, without taking off like a rocket, at the same time.

Maybe these will give you an idea that might help

cs

whiteraven
10-29-05, 06:01 AM
When I am driving and need to concentrate I hum whatever tune is playing in my head. That way I am only doing two things at once! And it blocks out other distractions as well.
I would do this as a child whenever I was concentrating really hard. My mother brought it to my attention; I had never noticed.

Imnapl
10-29-05, 03:03 PM
Oh, and of course there's the multi-tasking option...I always think of it as using up the excess cycles doing something else while you have the desired task at hand. For example, my friend, when talking on the phone with me, might clean the house, plant stuff in his garden, sort cd's, prepare dinner, make coffee, that sort of thing. GOD BLESS CORDLESS PHONES!! :soapbox:
I'm o.k. with short phone calls without moving around, but I have a lot more fun if I can do other things while talking on the phone. When my best friend calls, I look around for chores to do.