View Full Version : "Delivered From Distraction" audiobook from iTunes for iPod or CD

Winks
10-19-05, 10:15 AM
Hi all. This is my first post in these forums. I recently purchased "Delivered from Distraction" Getting the Most Out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder by Hollowell and Ratey from the iTunes music store. They have the full book at $25.95 (13 hours) or the abridged version at $12.95 (3 hours). I bought the full version and burned it to CDs (12) for listening to in my car on my 50 minute commutes. It kept me going for 2 weeks. I liked it. I'd recommend it for those spending a lot of time in the car or those traveling with an iPod. I do wish it was broken into tracks by chapter. most tracks were more than 40 minutes long and I had to do lots of fast forwarding to get back where I was. I think it would have been easier if I had an iPod too. Delivered From Distraction is the 2005 follow up to the original Driven to Distraction.

lostinlspace
10-19-05, 10:46 AM
I bought the same audiobook, the unabridged version of Delivered from Distraction from Audible.com for 9.99 dollars. Of the 12 or so hours I have about 4 to go.

It's very informative but I really miss more examples of people whose lives are seriously impaired by ADD, being diagnosed as adults. I don't need any more examples of wealthy businessmen reading an article by Dr Halowell of course and contacting him to find out their ADD is what has stopped them from making billions. I get the point.

I guess buying it from the iTms gives you a file with chapters? The mp3's I got have no chapters and it's hard to navigate.

Welcome to the forums :)

Scattered
10-19-05, 01:45 PM
I'm glad to hear it's on audio now, since reading isn't high on the list of favorite activities for some. It would be great to listen to in the car. Delivered from Distraction is absolutely terrific -- it was one the first ADHD books I read and still one of the most helpful. I refer back to it frequently!Scattered

Marmalade_man
12-12-05, 01:06 PM
To those not concerned about the legality of it, this audio book is available for download if you have the right tools and know where to look.

ChicagoScott
12-13-05, 11:25 PM
Boy did I want this one to be awesome. Got it at Audible. I thought it would give me strategies I could use, but it didn't deliver the goods I needed (& still need). Granted, I didn't finish it, cuz by disc six I was bored to tears.

It seems like a collection of stories about people who have ADD, and that it's OK for them to have it, or I, or you. Our ADD is a wonderful gift to cherish, blah blah blah. I can understand the relentless positive reinforcement for the reader (or listener), but I found it too FLUFFy. Not enough meat. I don't think I came away from those first 6 discs with anything new I could use.

Hate to come down on this one, but by halfway through it just didn't deliver. Maybe I'll try again some time, although there's plenty of NEW stuff to explore, so probably not.

Scattered
12-13-05, 11:56 PM
Man, I loved this book -- it may be my favorite ADHD book of all. The best stuff is past the half way part though, in my opinion! I don't read a book from beginning to end, so I went to the best parts first. I especially like his suggestions for dealing with ADHD depression and discouragement.

Scattered

Winks
12-28-05, 04:05 PM
Boy did I want this one to be awesome. Got it at Audible. I thought it would give me strategies I could use, but it didn't deliver the goods I needed (& still need). Granted, I didn't finish it, cuz by disc six I was bored to tears.

It seems like a collection of stories about people who have ADD, and that it's OK for them to have it, or I, or you. Our ADD is a wonderful gift to cherish, blah blah blah. I can understand the relentless positive reinforcement for the reader (or listener), but I found it too FLUFFy. Not enough meat. I don't think I came away from those first 6 discs with anything new I could use.

Hate to come down on this one, but by halfway through it just didn't deliver. Maybe I'll try again some time, although there's plenty of NEW stuff to explore, so probably not.
I gotta admit, the middle section with all the case stories and comorbid stuff seemed to be way off the course I was looking for too. None of that part seemed realavent to me. It gets better with the last couple of discs. More strategies and such. I've gone back to those last couple of discs to review them from time to time.

lostinlspace
12-29-05, 12:46 PM
This actor guy's voice is kinda dull. I would have preferred Dr Hallowell reading it like in the abridged version. He can really project his voice. There is something about the book that still annoys me though, like it's guilding the pill or something.

What's a good book to read after this one, preferably with a more down to earth approach, how after meds is when the hard work begins and so on? Is there even such a book, lol. (audio book)

lostinlspace
12-29-05, 12:54 PM
oops double post

Tara
12-29-05, 01:03 PM
To tell you the truth there there are not very many ADD Audio books out there. Have you looked in the ADD Audio Coach Program? It's a combination of 3 CDs and a workbook with over 100 pages.

lostinlspace
12-29-05, 01:16 PM
I don't think I'm for a coach yet, on tape or in person but I'll look into it, I hadn't noticed there are some good links in this section too for "normal" books. Thanks Tara.

Winks
12-29-05, 03:25 PM
To tell you the truth there there are not very many ADD Audio books out there. Have you looked in the ADD Audio Coach Program? It's a combination of 3 CDs and a workbook with over 100 pages.
Has anyone tried this program? I'm interested. $59.99 isn't cheap but it's probably less than one session with a professional coach. Should I be starting another thread on this one?

Tara
12-29-05, 04:57 PM
I don't think I'm for a coach yet, on tape or in person but I'll look into it, I hadn't noticed there are some good links in this section too for "normal" books. Thanks Tara.
The program is actually done by a professional organizer and not coach. It's really not the same as working with an actual ADD. It's more like an "ADD Audio Guide". I have the program and think it's pretty good. It's on sale right now for $48 through their site.

Tara
12-29-05, 05:04 PM
Has anyone tried this program? I'm interested. $59.99 isn't cheap but it's probably less than one session with a professional coach. Should I be starting another thread on this one?
There's actually one here: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13386

ClarityWhere
04-23-06, 04:37 AM
I found the abridged version on cassette in the discard pile at a library and paid 50 cents for it. OTOH, it contained a few things I hadn't heard before, like the DORE program in the UK of exercise treatment. But I'd have felt ripped off if I'd paid much more. If a parent of an ADHD child happened to grab these cassettes as their first info on ADD, it would be appropriate for them to hear an extended warning against giving stimulants to a child who's actually bipolar. But the subtitle "getting the most out of life with ADD" had led me to expect the tapes to focus on ways of, well, getting the most out of life with ADD.

For many people, I'm sure the personal examples add an element of human connection to the concepts, but, esp. for an abridged version, IMNSHO they were way overdone. I don't need a long narrative about an ADD kid going to college, joining a frat and not attending classes. The sermon to parents about planning their kid's college transition seems to assume that all parents are educated, privileged, want their kids to succeed etc, which just isn't the case. In any case, that topic belongs in a chapter for parents of teenagers with ADD.

Because even half an hour of car time is a huge investment for me, the fluffiness of these cassettes was a disappointment, and the tinge of self-aggrandizement left a rancid aftertaste rather than inspiring me.

Presumably, Hallowell just could have used a better editor. It's possible he had an excellent editor, but refused to take her/his advice.

dormammau2008
04-23-06, 12:00 PM
????whats the dora porgame???? dorm

ClarityWhere
05-23-06, 06:36 PM
www.dorecenters.com (http://www.dorecenters.com)