View Full Version : New here: please help me

thordora
10-20-05, 07:08 AM
I was diagnosed about 6 years ago, and I've been on Ritalin, which has been working. Recently at work, I undertook increased duties, and experienced a seating change that leaves me more...open to the inabilities of my coworkers to ever enjoy the silence. I have basically been messing everything up workwise, and I know it's directly related to my current work environment.

I'm going to be discussing this with my boss soon, but what I want to know is if there is any legal recourse for work accomodations for ADHD. As well, my employer is based out of the US-any idea if I could use their disabilities act for the samne end?

I'm losing my mind, and I'm terrified I'll be fired. I can see and feel the eyes rolling when I bring up my disorder, and I'm sick to death of crying all the time, being stressed to the point of illness, and feeling myself sink into depression over this. I'm not an idiot, and I can't help but make idiot mistakes since I keep having to wade through the jello that is my woirkplace.

And wow...this forums is NOT set up good for ADDers....
thanks...

scuro
10-20-05, 08:05 AM
Let your boss know that the new duties are difficult, and then I would frame it in a non-ADHD way. Society hasn't come to the point where it will globally accept accommodations for ADHD even though it is the law. I just don't think it is worth the battle unless no other option is available.

whiteraven
10-20-05, 09:09 AM
Hi Thordora and welcome.
It would be ok for anyone to explain that a new seating position makes it hard for you to concentrate because of noise, visual distractions etc. If you have ideas for a workable solution to these issues, put them forward at the time you speak to your boss. If you are calm, clear and have solutions they will most likely listen, because their priority is getting the work done well.
Best wishes.

thordora
10-20-05, 10:08 PM
I'm beginning to understand why people bring guns to work.

I go buy some new headphones. I'm working away, with the volume absolutely cranked to drown people out.

The biggest boob in the department stops, and begins making frantic motions. I ignore him, hoping that, like needing to pee, I can bother with it later.

No dice.

I finally whip the headphones off and snap a "what" out.

"you in a bad mood?"

"no. I'm working. Remember work?"
"oh. I just thought you'd want to hear what happened in the food court today. Don't you want to hear?"

"NO I don't."

Train of thought GONE. Of COURSE his boss is away, and even if his boss was here, he never leaves his office and never does anything. My last email to him, detailing how it's very irritating to have the boob throwing balls of paper at me as I work wasn't even read.

So not only do I need to deal with a crap seat and noise, but I need to deal with DELIBERATE interruptions...

I swear, there must be a way to use this. Oh wait, no real HR department where I work either.

I need a new job. Thanks guys.

Imnapl
10-20-05, 11:19 PM
I need a new job. Thanks guys. See, you already knew the answer. :)

thordora
10-22-05, 08:47 AM
Except I'm stuck as there is no job I can think of which will pay the same, and I'm the bacon bringer so to speak....

I know I need a change...I also need to find a set of balls...and a good shrink.

Thanks all...I'm glad I found this forum! Everyone I know thinks I'm lazy...