View Full Version : Could This Be Bipolar?

netsavy006
10-20-05, 03:32 PM
I get very moody very easily. I can go from calm one minute to irritable the next. Could that be bipolar or some other underlying condition.

scuro
10-20-05, 06:56 PM
Low frustration level....moodiness...heck that could be a lot of things including ADHD.

UnleashTheHound
10-20-05, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that bipolar is characterized by dramatic/extreme mood swings, not "calm to irritable". More like "elated to despair".

geekgurl
10-20-05, 09:45 PM
I'm a beeper so may I can clarify what Hound said which is a pretty good description. I'm BP1 rapid cycling, mixed, complete with hallucinations and phycosis (everyone is out to get me, cops, co-workers, family) - can't get much worse on the bp spectrum. The swings don't necessarily take weeks, months, years for some of us like most people think, some of us go through cycles within a single day. As mentioned though it is more like elated to despair instead of calm to irritable. I can literally be laughing and being obnoxiously loudmouthed and annoying to crying and thinking of 10 ways to die the next. BPII isn't quite as extreme but there is still an intensified cycling of moods unlike "normal" mood swings. All of this is leveled out to some degree with medication but the swings are still there and now there are more like the "calm to irritable" spectrum.

The difference is in the intensity and the things that we do when we are manic or depressed. We have triggers that can cause the swings but in general they just happen, no warning, no trigger I just wake up (that is when I sleep) and the world is either out to get me, it just plain sucks so bad I want out of it or I'm a flippin genius that can solve world hunger with my awesome painting skills (even though I can't draw 2 straight lines let alone anything I could sell).

Anyway, best thing to do is to talk to a dr about your concerns. There are a lot of medical condition that could cause the problems you are having. Don't try to add another condition on yourself, this is one you surely don't want - it really sucks.

gg

netsavy006
10-21-05, 07:22 AM
Sometimes I do feel different moods throughout the day. In the morning sometimes, I am very energetic, feel on top of the world. By nighttime, I feel depressed. I don't know what it is, and I can't get help from my doc or my mom or brother. Please help... :(

UnleashTheHound
10-21-05, 12:51 PM
Does it have something to do with the darkness, or the decreasing amount of daylight this time of year?

There's something called Seasonal Affective Disorder
http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/depression/a/seasonal.htm

Looking at the symptoms, I might be affected.

Sc@tterBr@in_UK
10-21-05, 12:57 PM
Could well be rapid-cycling Bipolar... suppose you could do with a B among all your A's ;)

Crazygirl79
10-23-05, 08:50 PM
Yes it could be a symptom of Bipolar but it could be something else too....maybe you should get a Bipolar checklist and see if you fit the bill for having itI get very moody very easily. I can go from calm one minute to irritable the next. Could that be bipolar or some other underlying condition.

muffin47
10-23-05, 09:40 PM
UnleashTheHound,

You're right. If you are Bipolar you switch between depression & manic phases.

Deb

netsavy006
10-24-05, 10:00 AM
The only thing is I'm not sure if it is bipolar or if it's a result of the medications I'm on. I just stopped taking Ritalin LA 3 days ago and started Startterra 18mg/day to see if it was a result of the Ritalin LA (10mg/day). I'm also on Zoloft 50mg 1x/day. I've been taking Zoloft for 6 months now. When I started, at 12.5mg a day, I was very social and wouldn't let anyone else talk and I would be doing things I normally don't do. Then I started to fall into a depression again. Then when I was up to the 50mg of Zoloft, I started getting more agitated. I was very overpowering. At this time I was on the 50mg zoloft, .5mg/day Ativan (the generic of it), and took only 1, .5mg Risperdal. I didn't like to way the Risperdal made me feel so I stopped it. Then the doctor quit the ativan (generic) since I didn't need it anymore. I got very bad tics from stopping it, so I started clonodine (brand name: catapres/catapres-TTS). So, at this time (about 4 months ago), I was now taking 50mg. Zoloft and .1mg/day (in 2 doses: each .05mg) of the clonodine. My mood was OK but the attention got bad. I stopped it and started the Ritalin LA. This made it worse so I was just switched to the Strattera 18mg/day. I am starting to feel better again. Do you think It could be the medication or another condition causing the problem. Thanks for the help.

UnleashTheHound
10-24-05, 12:01 PM
With all those med changes, mood swings aren't that surprising..

If it continues once you settle into a med regime, then you might want to be concerned.

geekgurl
10-24-05, 02:45 PM
I would talk to your pdoc about all this. AD meds with bi-polar can cause manic symptoms which are similar to what you described. A good pdoc will be very cautious with anyone who is dx'd with bp when prescribing any type of ad. The mood stablizers are supposed to help minimize mood episodes or at least reduce the extreme symptoms.

I would seriously talk to your doctor, I cannot reiterate this enough. Anyone can say, yeah, that sounds like bp or no that's not bp but we're not trained docs. BP looks different in different people and we can only relate to you our own personal experiences. BP can be extremely destructive to your life if untreated so if you think it's even a possibility than go get dx'd as soon as you can.

gg

netsavy006
10-25-05, 09:16 AM
Yes it could be a symptom of Bipolar but it could be something else too....maybe you should get a Bipolar checklist and see if you fit the bill for having it
Where can I get the Bipolar Checklist? :confused:

I would talk to your pdoc about all this. AD meds with bi-polar can cause manic symptoms which are similar to what you described. A good pdoc will be very cautious with anyone who is dx'd with bp when prescribing any type of ad. The mood stablizers are supposed to help minimize mood episodes or at least reduce the extreme symptoms.
:foot: I must take the Zoloft (50mg) b/c I'm taking it for panic disorder.

geekgurl
10-25-05, 09:41 AM
this one is a little complicated but I think it's a little more informative than the regular check lists http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/BSDS.htm. This website http://www.psycheducation.org/ is very informative as well so take a look at the rest of the site.

If you are bp than the zoloft can be replaced by something else for panic disoder. Zoloft for a bp is not really a good thing and can cause mania. Again this should be followed up with a pdoc.

Originally I got my dx and meds from a pcp and I was not on the right meds - Zyprexa and Prozac. I gained massive wieght and it just made me feel more out of control with my moods than without meds. I went to a pdoc and he put me on Tegretol and I actually feel in control of my life for the first time (I'm 38 so it's been a long time of out of control).

Again I am going to say to not self diagnose and see a pdoc. It's good to research but self diagnosis can be very dangerous. Just go to the pdoc and explain that you suspect that maybe you have bp and have them go through the normal diagnostic routine.

gg

UnleashTheHound
10-25-05, 09:43 AM
There is alot of overlap in symptoms of the various disorders. Bipolar can look like other conditions, and other conditions can look like bipolar. (including ADHD). The best thing is to ask your doctor and mention any symptom that you've had that are worrying you. He should be able to tell either that you don't have it, and why. Or reconsider his diagnosis if it's new information.

But you do mention that you have an anxiety disorder. I guess you could develop anxiety over whether you have bipolar, and that would not be a good thing. So I guess try to assume that you don't have it unless/until told otherwise by a professional.

netsavy006
10-26-05, 09:49 AM
But you do mention that you have an anxiety disorder. I guess you could develop anxiety over whether you have bipolar, and that would not be a good thing. So I guess try to assume that you don't have it unless/until told otherwise by a professional.
I had the anxiety way before thinking about bipolar. I haven't considered bipolar until recently but the anxiety has been around since I was 15.

Wheezie
10-26-05, 09:58 AM
have you had a chance to discuss this with your pdoc yet? you might even consider printing out this thread ... or your posts in this thread ... to help communicate your concerns to your doctor.

good luck, averity!

netsavy006
10-26-05, 11:03 AM
I have an appt. w/ the doctor next month. What can I do before then though?

UnleashTheHound
10-26-05, 01:36 PM
I have an appt. w/ the doctor next month. What can I do before then though?
Looking back at this thread, it sounds more likely that you might be seeing an adverse reaction to your current medication rather than bipolar. If it's causing alot of problems, you should call your doctor and tell him what you are experiencing, and he may tell you to change what you're taking (or see him right away if it sounds serious enough)

I'm not saying it can't be bipolar. But the symptoms you listed are not sufficient for a formal bipolar diagnosis. So unless you are having more symptoms that you haven't listed, it probably isn't bipolar.

netsavy006
10-27-05, 09:35 AM
The only thing is w/ the zoloft, I don't get anymore panic attacks so I don't know if I should stop taking the Zoloft and switch to something else. I was told by my doctor that Zoloft is the "safeist" medication to take.

Crazygirl79
11-01-05, 08:49 PM
Averity.

You could look up the internet as there are plenty of Bipolar checklists available, try yahoo or google

Where can I get the Bipolar Checklist? :confused:

:foot: I must take the Zoloft (50mg) b/c I'm taking it for panic disorder.

Draga
11-01-05, 10:15 PM
Found this instantly thanks 2 yahoo....http://home1.gte.net/res003jh/lithium-orotate/id15.html

NOTE -- Please be sure to read "Website comments" below for more important information about how family members or loved ones can play a critical role in helping a bipolar individual.

BIPOLAR SYMPTOMS FOR MANIA (AND HYPOMANIA)

MOOD

Abnormally elevated, expansive (euphoric)
Irritable, critical, argumentative, stubborn

PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS

Deceased need for sleep
Insomnia; stays up all night
Increased appetite
Sudden weight loss
Increased sexual drive (often to point of hypersexuality)
Catatonia (psychotic stage)

BEHAVIOR

Impulsive
Intrusive, uninhibited
Increased goal setting and creativity
Anger and rage
Disorganized, easily distracted
Recklessness; spending money,
bad business investments, sexual misadventures
No concern about consequences of behavior
Refusal to accept the possibility that
something may be "wrong" with thinking or behavior.
Blames others for reasons they did inappropriate behavior
Grossly disorganized (psychotic state)

THINKING

Inflated self-concepts of power, greatness,
importance (grandiosity)
Pressured speech
Racing thoughts (flights of ideas)
Rapid shifts of attention
Poor concentration
Memory distortion
Inability to see problems caused by own actions;
problems typically attributed to someone or something else
Delusions (psychotic stage)
Disorganized, incoherent speech (psychotic state)

SENSES

Lowering of CNS excitability; Lack of sensitivity
to heat, cold, hunger, thirst, pain, injury
Seeks over-stimulation
Hallucinations (psychotic stage)

CRITERIA FOR DIAGNOSIS

Both mood symptoms
At least 4 of the symptoms in the Physical,
Behavior and/or Thinking categories
Symptoms observed for over 1 week

**Note -- The absence of a specific symptom necessary to make a clear diagnosis does not mean an individual is not bipolar. Bipolar disorder often manifests itself in phases.

DEPRESSIVE SYMPTOMS

MOOD

Depressed, sad or very irritable;
cannot be "cheered up" (dysphoria)
Loss of interest and pleasure in daily activities

PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS

Insomnia or sleeping too much
Loss of appetite or eating too much
Feeling slowed down or too agitated to sit still
Extreme fatigue and lack energy
Decreased sexual drive
Catatonia (psychotic stage)

BEHAVIOR
Decreased motivation
Decreased performance
Withdrawal and isolation
Loss of gratification in effort
Lack of attention to hygiene and appearance
No desire to talk, interact, socialize

THINKING

Accusatory, self-blaming thoughts
Dwelling on guilt and personal failures
Having very low self-esteem
Inability to think, remember, concentrate
Marked indifference
Recurrent thoughts of death, suicidal thoughts, suicidal plans
Delusions (psychotic stage)
Disorganized, incoherent speech (psychotic stage)

SENSES

Heightened sensitivity of the central nervous system (CNS)
Hypersensitive to noise, light, stress
Hallucinations (psychotic stage)

CRITERIA FOR DIAGNOSIS
One primary mood disturbance
At least four of the symptoms in the Physical
and/or Thinking categories
Symptoms present every day for at least two weeks

This is the jist of it but there is more on the page to read ;) gl 2 ya

netsavy006
11-02-05, 11:01 AM
There is alot of overlap in symptoms of the various disorders. Bipolar can look like other conditions, and other conditions can look like bipolar. (including ADHD). The best thing is to ask your doctor and mention any symptom that you've had that are worrying you. He should be able to tell either that you don't have it, and why. Or reconsider his diagnosis if it's new information.

:eyebrow: Does anybody think that It could just be one of my Asperger's Traits rather than bipolar? :eyebrow:

netsavy006
11-16-05, 10:05 AM
I've been trying very hard to try to get the doctor to help me w/ my issue in this thread, but he seems very hesatint about it. I think it has to due w/ an issue I read about the "bipolar bandwagon" (if that even exists).

I think I am getting more manic and this is my first bipolar episode I'm exeriencing right now. I seem to fit the manic symptoms, but the depressive symptoms only seemed to have fit this date last year. By February 2005, I was feeling very hopless b/c the panic attacks were so bad and I was so scared about what would happen to me, I wanted to die but didn't want to hurt my family by doing so.

Now, (I've been off medication since 10/30), I feel happier than usual, and seem to have the ability to do more. I get very irritated. The only thing the doctor wants me to do is take .1mg clonodine when I get agitated.

:( I don't think this is going to work b/c I just start yelling for no apparant reason. Mom will be speaking in her normal voice and I just start yelling louder and louder and can't seem to make it stop. :(

I just don't understand. I get very tired on the clonodine (even when taking 1/4 of the .1mg dose 1/day at nighttime. I can't have that when I have to drive to school 5 days a week. I need something that won't make me sedated. (glad I can use this word now that I know what it means.)

>> I just seem to be on this vicious cycle and I don't know how to break it or get off. I need a lot of help. If anyone knows what to do please respond. :( :) THANKS <<

netsavy006
11-16-05, 10:08 AM
I'm seeing my therapist this Saturday;
and I have an appt. with the schools services Next Tuesday.

netsavy006
11-16-05, 10:09 AM
Could well be rapid-cycling Bipolar... suppose you could do with a B among all your A's ;)
I wish I knew if I had this B among all my A's. Then I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

whiteraven
11-26-05, 03:13 AM
Found this instantly thanks 2 yahoo....http://home1.gte.net/res003jh/lithium-orotate/id15.html

NOTE -- Please be sure to read "Website comments" below for more important information about how family members or loved ones can play a critical role in helping a bipolar individual.

BIPOLAR SYMPTOMS FOR MANIA (AND HYPOMANIA)
CRITERIA FOR DIAGNOSIS
One primary mood disturbance
At least four of the symptoms in the Physical
and/or Thinking categories
Symptoms present every day for at least two weeks

This is the jist of it but there is more on the page to read ;) gl 2 ya
Draga!!!
Good to see you. (((hugs)))

I have a question I've been wanting to ask you. It is a bit weird I guess, but I think maybe you can help me figure this out...
I have a friend who is BP. (I an ADD-inattentive and a bit hyper-sensitive). She is important to me, but hurts my feelings by disappearing when I need her presence, refusing to deal with issues, ignoring me for weeks/months etc. so that I begin to feel like I am totally unimportant and unnecessary to her. Then she does someing incrededibly caring and it gets so my head is spinning.:confused: I feel like she forgets me unless I am standing in front of her, or that she calls me when she needs my presence, but my needs are not on her radar. She does treat others like this too, not just me.
Should I just keep rereading this list above (which did help) and saying it is her BP?
Or is she just like this?
I don't want to shut her out... but it does hurt a lot, so sometimes self-protection says, "Run away!"
Any ideas or input appreciated...

confused and hurt,
whiteraven

barbyma
11-26-05, 04:04 AM
I have a question I've been wanting to ask you. It is a bit weird I guess, but I think maybe you can help me figure this out...

Does it matter? If all of the things she does are driven by "bipolarness", which, BTW, I doubt, this is an explanation but not an excuse. It sounds more like Boderline Personality than bipolar to me.

But, whether it's due to the disorder is not really the issue. The issue is, you need to take care of yourself. What do YOU need from this relationship? Are you getting it? Friendship is a 2-way street, disorder or no.

Sc@tterBr@in_UK
11-26-05, 03:54 PM
Draga!!!
I have a friend who is BP. (I an ADD-inattentive and a bit hyper-sensitive). She is important to me, but hurts my feelings by disappearing when I need her presence, refusing to deal with issues, ignoring me for weeks/months etc. so that I begin to feel like I am totally unimportant and unnecessary to her. Then she does someing incrededibly caring and it gets so my head is spinning.:confused: I feel like she forgets me unless I am standing in front of her, or that she calls me when she needs my presence, but my needs are not on her radar. She does treat others like this too, not just me.
All of what you have written, but especially the things I highlighted in bold, sound a lot like Borderline Personality Disorder to me.

barbyma
11-26-05, 04:55 PM
All of what you have written, but especially the things I highlighted in bold, sound a lot like Borderline Personality Disorder to me.
The things that stood out to me as BPD were the occasional amazingly caring gestures that are convenient for her, but the disappearing when she's actually needed.

I had a BPD friend who was incredibly self-serving. She could be my absolute best friend in the world when it was convenient for her, but explosive and selfish when asked to do a small, but needed favor.

speedo
11-26-05, 05:37 PM
The hard part of it all is knowing that sometmhing is not right, but the uncertainty between first knowing something is wrong and later finding out what it really is.

Me :D

barbyma
11-26-05, 05:44 PM
The hard part of it all is knowing that sometmhing is not right, but the uncertainty between first knowing something is wrong and later finding out what it really is.

Me :D
You know, I hadn't thought of that. I think the hard part for me was actually realizing what it was, knowing there was a solution, but having to wait until I could get someone to help me.

I wasn't too upset until I realized my problem was ADD and that I might get some relief from meds. Then it was all about getting the meds! THAT drove me crazy.

Dixie_Amazon
11-26-05, 06:13 PM
In Bipolar II some people have mood swings without manic episodes. It is more than plain depression, but never delusional or psychotic.
http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/frameset.html

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/MorePresentingSx.htm

Crazy~Feet
11-24-06, 10:47 AM
In Bipolar II some people have mood swings without manic episodes. It is more than plain depression, but never delusional or psychotic.
http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/frameset.html

http://www.psycheducation.org/depression/MorePresentingSx.htmSemi-true. BPII cycles between deep depressions and periods of HYPOMANIA, which is not true psychotic delusional mania. Hypomania is easily confused with:

A period of general good feelings and productivity.
A period of creative drive out of the clear blue sky.
A period of crankiness and irritability.
A period of generalised retlessness and ability to function on less sleep than average.

There need only be one period of hypomania for a person to have a DX of BPII, but there has to have been at least one episode or else we are talking unipolar depression.

netsavy006
11-24-06, 11:29 AM
I don't think it's bipolar anymore. This is because when i stablized on the zoloft and my lunesta I didn't get these troubles anymore. I have not taken add meds for almost a year now and I really feel that I need something to help me focus since finals are comming up at college. I have to be able to study and not feel destracted...

:( I also feel that if I start another add med I will switch back into this 'bipolar' mode. What can I do? I can't take adderall or dexadrine because of the zoloft... And the ritalin, metadate, and strattera all made me worse... :(

justhope
11-24-06, 01:51 PM
Well....you need to talk to your doctor, and if they are not helping then find one who specializes in the disorders. Which can be difficult sometimes.

I can tell you...I was dx with ADD at age 24, then mild depression a few years later. On and off meds....for 10 years...then back on over a year ago....
I felt better on ADD meds...however my "episodes" starting taking on more lenghthy , crippling modes.

I have always suspected there was more wrong with me, but never really delt with it until the hypomania kicked in at it's worse....

I have always had rapid cycling mood swings...and never longer episodes....
until the last year...where I went through months of minor to major depression then minor to major mania.

My doc added in the dx of cyclothymia, which he explained is a precurser to BPDII and if left untreated will go into the full blown mode of BPD.

I started treatment, and found that the Adderall was also triggering manic episodes. Without my Lamictal, for the Cyclothymia, I can't just take the Addreall everyday without it triggering the episodes.
Now keep in mind I have been on and off stimulants for years...and never had this extreme of an issue. I also questioned if I was even ADD anymore..it appeared I didn't need my Adderall as much.
So I started testing the theory with his approval. I have taken myself on and off my Addereall to see the difference.
I do believe I am ADD, just not a severe as once thought. I can function fine off meds unless there is something that I must focus on for long periods of time....or pay attention to for long periods of time. Then I take it, and as long as I am on my Lamictal ....I am fine.

So I can relate to some of you symptoms....I was on Zoloft too for awhile for my depression. It took care of it...and every other emotion turned off with it.
So I had to come off of it. None of the other anti-depressants I tried ever worked.
And as I found out the stimulants by themselves never did either.

My pdoc told me if you are Cyclothymia/ BPDII the lamictal will work where you can see a diffrenence in a couple of weeks.
If you are not, it will make you worse.
Well....it worked. And I feel more balanced , less anxious, irritated...etc than I have in my whole life...and for the first time ever...I think I have peeked into the world of normal emotions....without the unneccessary extremes.

I hope this helps. If you don't feel right, and you have "truly" done everything you can to stop a behavior that is efffecting you and the people you are around, don't ever stop trying to find something that works to help with it. Be it meds,,,therapy, coaching....

I took me years...36 to be exact. After a dx at 24....I never gave up. And finally believe I have found quality of life I am comfortable with...

Take care...

Crazy~Feet
11-24-06, 01:57 PM
Here here Sis! Same here but a longer time on SSRIs for my so-called "depression" issues. And the manias got bigger...and longer, the Concerta and blast off! If a stimulant triggers "bipolar mode" for you? Then its pretty likely you have it (I always say I "am" it though ;) ).

By the way, an antidepressent without a mood stabilizer can also trigger mania/hypomania, which may look a great deal like Hyperactivity! Its confusing isn't it? And how is it that you are taking Lunesta continuously? Isn't that a sleeping pill?