View Full Version : I'm looking for a shrink who specializes in diagnosing adhd

10-20-05, 05:06 PM
I live in S.Fla and so far I've been having trouble finding a doctor who can help me out. I have no health insurance and I dont even have the slighest idea as far as what to do when it comes to seeking treatment:confused:

11-09-05, 03:15 PM
Call the closest children's hospital, they should be able to help and or direct you to who can help. Also, google!

Good luck!

11-11-05, 06:45 PM
Does the Florida Dept of Education have student loans so adults can go to College?

Often, taking a college course is a way to ACCESS a college's health/counselling/disability office's expensive services.

If you present with a learning problem, their job is to do your psycho-educational/LD testing. They may test you if you tell them that you suspect you have Adult AD/HD that is affecting your academic performance.

This is how i got my 8 hours of testing!! It would have been -=OVER $1200=- otherwise.

What i found: if the Testing is REQUIRED so that you can do college better, the government student body, or college, will often have a program/bursary/loan to pay for it for you.

I never would have gotten it thru my regular gov't health plan.

Wild, isn't it.


11-11-05, 07:45 PM
A community mental health center may offer a sliding fee scale or even some medication samples, although that wouldn't include any controlled substances like stimulants, etc.

It's also possible to have both psychiatrists and psychologists working there.

If that doesn't work, then look and see if there are any psych. services like a walk in clinic at a college or something like that.

Good luck.
mctavish23 (Robert)

06-05-07, 07:41 PM
Lopez, Frank A, MD - Childrens Developmental Center

2225 glenwood dr 32792 winterpark

Dr. Frank A. Lopez is a Neurodevelopmental Pediatrician in private practice in Orlando, Florida. He was formerly an assistant director of Medical Education for Orlando Regional Healthcare Systems and Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children and Women in Orlando, Florida. His training included Pathology and Pediatrics at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, and a two year fellowship in Adult & Pediatric Neurology at the Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia. He currently acts as consultant to Shire Pharmaceuticals, Celltech Pharmaceuticals, Eli Lilly & Co., Noven Pharmaceuticals, Novartis Pharmaceuticals and Cephalon Pharmaceuticals.

He has participated in multiple research protocols in his areas of special interest, including ADHD, childhood anxiety, childhood depression, OCD and ODD.

07-05-07, 05:31 PM
I would like to suggest that you investigate the HANDLE Institute (see ( In my experience, shrinks tend to medicate a person to mask their symptoms, and this may help the person cope but it really is not a true solution.

A HANDLE screener or practitioner could determine which of a person's systems were not fully supporting them, and give them a program of activities to strengthen and integrate their systems. It is gentle and effective (and drug-free!), and has made a world of difference for our family.