View Full Version : Is ADD non-hyper worse than ADD-hyper?

Jackinbox
10-21-05, 08:44 AM
I'm not saying that "my ADD is bigger than yours" but I just want to understand why 30% of adders are not hyperactive. It's well known that hyperactivity is a symptom of add. As I understand it, it's a way to cope with add by continuously keeping ourself highly stimulated.

I get hyper sometimes but it's seems that it's not enough to keep my brain busy so I find my self sluggish most of the time. Dexedrine and strattera don't really help for my concentration but bring me in a hyperactive state. Maybe it's because my ADD is so terrible? Any thoughts?

SnappyCloud
10-21-05, 09:01 AM
I don't know what is worst; it might depend on the severity of the symptoms rather than wether you have two or three of its components.

If dex and strattera don't help your concentration (attention) and make you hyper, they might be making you worse overall. Are they helping with impulsivity?

Jackinbox
10-21-05, 09:09 AM
Well, I enjoy this energy since at least I can do the task that don't need concentration too much. It's better than sleeping all day long. I'm more impulsive too but I enjoy it because it make me go forward!

UnleashTheHound
10-21-05, 12:34 PM
I'm not saying that "my ADD is bigger than yours" but I just want to understand why 30% of adders are not hyperactive. It's well known that hyperactivity is a symptom of add. As I understand it, it's a way to cope with add by continuously keeping ourself highly stimulated.
We non-hypers find the stimulation we need in daydreams, playing with pens, doodling and other things. The cause is the same, how we find stimulation is just different.

Jackinbox
10-21-05, 01:18 PM
We non-hypers find the stimulation we need in daydreams, playing with pens, doodling and other things. The cause is the same, how we find stimulation is just different.
I agree. I need to be mentally stimulated all the time. I can't endure small talk...

justhope
10-21-05, 01:22 PM
I think they probably both have the same amount of things that suck about them, and are good about them.

My sister (meadd823) is hyper... I often wish I was like her...she is a super organizer....go getter ....etc...but boy she could tell you...she can be draining on the slower of us....and I know it's hard for her to sometimes enjoy things like weekend seminars, which we have attended together...very painful for her to sit there....

Now I have the inattentive type. We are hyper...just not on the outside.
We are hyper on the inside. I like it sometimes because while my ADHD friends are running around like chickens with their heads cut off, I am able to sit back and relax....I can hyperfocus and get things done....I am very sensitive, and empathetic....(not to say they aren't..) I am just covering what my own family and I have discussed. We have the different types in my family, siblings, kids, nieces..etc...

If medicated, we make a great team....one being strong on one area, while the other is in the opposite...
I don't think either is worse or better...just different..we learn to use the gifts we have and work on the problem areas, just like other people without ADD.

Just my 2 cents...
Hope

Jackinbox
10-21-05, 01:51 PM
I think they probably both have the same amount of things that suck about them, and are good about them.

Thanks for you comments. By "worse", I didn't mean "worse to have it" but "are we at the extreme of the spectrum?".

mctavish23
10-21-05, 02:48 PM
The researched derived risk factors for untreated ADHD are MUCH worse for the Combined and Hyperactive- Impulsive types.

justhope
10-21-05, 03:12 PM
I think I agree...

I guess I am the combined type...although I go by ADD ..I have depression as well...so I am at high risk....and of course my loving kids dad...who loves to drive 100 on the freeway...skydive....and has been a frequent in jail because of stupid stuff!!!!

I see what you are saying...

hmmm

Nova
10-21-05, 04:16 PM
My 'H' factor isn't always equal to literally running around in circles. It entails non stop chatter, reading three books at a time, never being able to watch a movie 'silently', and never being able to do anything in a routine manner. I feel like I will literally disintigrate if I have to sit still and be quiet for more than 15 minutes.
I have many friends who have ADD minus the 'H', and they are able to blend better than I because they are able to 'zone' out..whereas I am unable to do so.
Nova