View Full Version : stress levels and sensory issues

speedo
10-22-05, 02:43 PM
I have noticed that I often feel very stressed for up to a full day after having to tolerate a high sensory load for hours on the previous day.

For example:

I go out with friends to a noisy club with loud music.. It is packed with people and the music is very loud. There is a lot going on visually and the place is really busy. I notice my sensory load is high and it might even get a little difficult for me to filter things out well enough to communicate with people, but I am basically having fun and feel okay. I am working a little harder than usual to filter it all, but am not having any real problems coping.

No problem eh ??? :p

The next day I feel stressed and maybe even pretty hyper until I can get my stress levels down again. :eek:

I seem to notice this kind of effect quite often when dealing with big sensory loads.

Does anybody else notice an effect similar to this ???

Any comments ?

Me :D

Draven
10-22-05, 03:25 PM
I have not noticed the next day but I do know that when I am somewhere where there is a lot of noise or activity, I feel really anxious and ready to jump out of my skin or just scream for everyone to shut up. I get really aggitaded and fustrated with everything and everyone. I also get this way if I have a day where I feel too many types of emotions at once.

Like the other day, I had a problem with my co-worker trying to belittle my ideas and feelings. I had also found out that I was accepted for my college but that instead of starting in Nov. I had to wait till January. I also found out that there was not another child support check coming even though I thought there was one more which brought up the feelings of seeing my ex driving his brand new hybrid as I have to wait for a bus every time I want to go somewhere. I also found out that my student loans would be paid out on the 27th of this month and that the check that got lost in the mail,,,, finally made it to me. All within about an hour and half. So for me,,, I went into to overload and fell apart crying even though there was good stuff happening too. It was all just too much at one time.

The next day I was pretty much back to normal though,,,, as normal as I get anyway. By the way,,, i confronted my co-worker the next day as well as to how she makes me feel,,,, didn't do much good yet but hopefully she will take the time to think about her actions in the future.

Imnapl
10-23-05, 01:59 AM
Speedo, Brandie, bless her heart for handling all she did and bouncing back, is physically younger than we are. Do you find you need a longer recovery time as you get older?

Crazygirl79
10-23-05, 09:31 PM
Speedo

I can relate to all of this on different levels

I have noticed that I often feel very stressed for up to a full day after having to tolerate a high sensory load for hours on the previous day.

For example:

I go out with friends to a noisy club with loud music.. It is packed with people and the music is very loud. There is a lot going on visually and the place is really busy. I notice my sensory load is high and it might even get a little difficult for me to filter things out well enough to communicate with people, but I am basically having fun and feel okay. I am working a little harder than usual to filter it all, but am not having any real problems coping.

No problem eh ??? :p

The next day I feel stressed and maybe even pretty hyper until I can get my stress levels down again. :eek:

I seem to notice this kind of effect quite often when dealing with big sensory loads.

Does anybody else notice an effect similar to this ???

Any comments ?

speedo
10-24-05, 12:43 AM
I am older and it is more intense than I ever remember it. I think it does take longer to recover, but I am fighting a hearing pproblem that seems to make it worse, so I really do not know how much is age and how much is due to bad hearing.

ME :D

Speedo, Brandie, bless her heart for handling all she did and bouncing back, is physically younger than we are. Do you find you need a longer recovery time as you get older?

speedo
10-24-05, 12:45 AM
If you like, could you elaborate ?? I'm trying to compare my symptoms to those of others... so I cn get a better understanding.

Speedo

I can relate to all of this on different levels

Crybaby1898
10-24-05, 12:47 AM
okay how long has this been up. but i do understand

speedo
10-24-05, 01:14 AM
This thread has been up for a couple of days.

:)

ME :D

okay how long has this been up. but i do understand

Crazygirl79
10-24-05, 10:31 PM
Hey Speedo.

Well when I'm in the main city with friends where's there's a LOT of visual and auditory sensory stimulation...I find it hard to filter it all in, and I find I space out and get really really tired.....I can't tell you much more as I'm new to finding out about SID/SPD myself......maybe YOU could tell me more.

speedo
10-25-05, 08:30 PM
WEll, I don't have SID or SPD. I do have sensory issues relaqted to hearing loss and possibly due to ADHD, etc...

Therte are some links on this site, and I'd google for SID and SPD to see what I can turn up.
Therte are a number of support/help organizations online so do not overlook those.

Me :)

Crazygirl79
10-25-05, 08:49 PM
Well it's turning out that I have SPD as well as the ADHD, Vocal Tics and Mood problemsWEll, I don't have SID or SPD. I do have sensory issues relaqted to hearing loss and possibly due to ADHD, etc...

Therte are some links on this site, and I'd google for SID and SPD to see what I can turn up.
Therte are a number of support/help organizations online so do not overlook those.

Me :)