View Full Version : Complex Vocal Tics

Crazygirl79
10-24-05, 10:41 PM
Hi People.

I have a question to ask you.

I have complex and simple vocal tics, my complex ones are causing me the most problems.

Here goes.

1: I often "blurt" out my thoughts in a compulsive nature and can't seem to help it

2: I always seem like I'm having a conversation with people that aren't there but it's also in a compulsive manner.

Here's another question.

Do people with Tourette's or other tic disorders talk to themselves compulsively as if conversing with others?

aularian
11-21-05, 03:20 AM
Can't say that I do, but then again, I only have simple vocal tics.

Naomi2
03-01-06, 05:54 AM
I've only just found this post, so I don't know if it's a bit late to answer it, but yes I do get a sort of compulsion to speak but not quite in the way you say.

I speak out of a compulsion to a lot of the time; reading out signs which really do not need to be read out and saying random thoughts which I just have a compulsion to say, with a feeling of tension, ranging from mild to fairly intense, building up until I say it, or sometimes I just say it without saying it at all, without meaning to Ė especially with reading out things Iíve read such as signs. Itís partly because unless I donít say it, it will go round and round in my head for ages.

I wonder if anyone else gets this...?

jess
03-01-06, 09:02 AM
Hi there all of you really dont know all ins and out of tics etc but i hope you dont mind me butting in here. One of my twin sons has been diagnosed as mod adhd mild dysleyia ocd and tics which he at moment and in past few years have ranged frm shoulder wiggling ish stuff neck movements mouth and jaw movements humming, blinking nose twitching, whistling his twin whistles and sings ish like la la laaa la la if you get my drift. they are 11 half now what is the likely hood of increase and severity of thes increasing or do they stabilise or will it lead to the coprolalia variety. Bless my little man as when we were at assesment centre he actually said i hop i have torreets i said why , he said cause i want the eff off type .!! what to do will boys !!!! kids. and lite shedding v welkom. My seven yr old daughter has been throat clearing for past 2 days regularly on and off . Should i have a reason for concern . Or am i being paranoid as all teachers docs etc have told me on various occasions for the last nine years with one child or another of mine . thank you in antisipation. oh another thing do ya have any good links or whatever about ocd and how and what are the ones to look for one son has ocd but it was always the adhd that was notice able to me and now that i am medicated it is now so strange to see things in this different light in ages 5 and up and 11 yrs. thanks jess x

Naomi2
03-01-06, 12:39 PM
Hi there all of you really dont know all ins and out of tics etc but i hope you dont mind me butting in here.
No it's fine. Welcome :)

they are 11 half now what is the likely hood of increase and severity of thes increasing or do they stabilise or will it lead to the coprolalia variety.
It's hard to tell really, especially not knowing them. The tics may become more severe and/or numerous during adolescence and then slowly lessen in severity and frequency later on, although it is impossible to tell as the tics may continue through adulthood. The tics, in time may also become more controllable.

My seven yr old daughter has been throat clearing for past 2 days regularly on and off . Should i have a reason for concern . Or am i being paranoid
Tourette's Syndrome is hereditary and as such it is common that if two siblings have it, the other may. This is not necessarily the case, however. You could make a note of when her tics start (even if they turn out not to be tics) and keep a record of their frequency and severity etc. for as long as they last. If they last for more than a few months, then it could well be a tic disorder, but may turn out to be transient or chronic rather than Tourette's itself.

oh another thing do ya have any good links or whatever about ocd
Here we go:

www.ocfoundation.org (http://www.ocfoundation.org/)
Obsessive Compulsive Foundation - Lots of information on OCD

www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-an05.html (http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-an05.html)
Internet Medical Health - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder information

kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/learning_problem/ocd.html (file://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/learning_problem/ocd.html)
Kids Health - Simplified OCD information for kids

www.ocdonline.com (http://www.ocdonline.com/)
OCD Online - Created by Dr. Steven Phillipson

www.aacap.org/publications/factsfam/ocd.htm
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry - Basic OCD Information

www.tourettesyndrome.net (http://www.tourettesyndrome.net/)
Tourette Syndrome 'Plus' - Has a good amount of information on Tourettes and several other co-morbid and associated neurological disorders, including OCD

www.wemove.org/tics/tic.html (http://www.wemove.org/tics/tic.html)
We Move - Differences between compulsions and tics, stereotypies, mannerisms, habits, akathisia and restless leg syndrome etc.

www.westsuffolkpsych.homestead.com/Touching.html (http://www.westsuffolkpsych.homestead.com/Touching.html)
A Touching Story - Information on touching tics and rituals

thanks jess x
That's okay and if you have any more questions you would like to ask, you know where to come. :)

I hope you have found this information helpful. :)

Scattered
03-01-06, 12:48 PM
I don't know about the Tourettes connection but according to Russell Barkley (Taking Charge of ADHD) ADD folks are developmentally behind in their internalized speech and tend to say things aloud that others say in their heads. Plus of course ADHD folks have the impulse disorder going where there isn't the pause before blurting out what's on one's mind. There is such a high overlap between Tourettes and ADHD anyway -- it might be from one or both sources.

Scattered

jess
03-01-06, 12:56 PM
Thank you both for your help , welcome and links and all i will have plenty to hyper focus on i am sure it will be very useful. its always nice to have recomended sites than wander aimlessly around cyber cites a bit lost .!! jess

Crazygirl79
03-02-06, 07:18 PM
I do exactly the same at times too Naomi!I've only just found this post, so I don't know if it's a bit late to answer it, but yes I do get a sort of compulsion to speak but not quite in the way you say.

I speak out of a compulsion to a lot of the time; reading out signs which really do not need to be read out and saying random thoughts which I just have a compulsion to say, with a feeling of tension, ranging from mild to fairly intense, building up until I say it, or sometimes I just say it without saying it at all, without meaning to Ė especially with reading out things Iíve read such as signs. Itís partly because unless I donít say it, it will go round and round in my head for ages.

I wonder if anyone else gets this...?

Naomi2
03-03-06, 01:32 PM
Is it tics (I have chronic motor tic disorder, not officially diagnosed) or compulsions or just me being weird/stupid?

Yeah, I say the stupidest things. The other day my mum and I were walking past a graveyard and I said, 'the gravestones are right up against the wall'. Like she really wanted to know/couldn't see for herself! :D

Scattered
03-03-06, 01:39 PM
Is it tics (I have chronic motor tic disorder, not officially diagnosed) or compulsions or just me being weird/stupid? :DDefinately not the weird/stupid option! Possibly the creative/original option! ;) Barkley says one reason ADDers may talk so much is because a lot less of their talk in internalized, so other people think it, we say it and think it -- that may cover the comment about the graves.:) I do stuff like that all the time -- no biggy!
I've got a tic -- I'm not sure if it's vocal or motor since it's in the back of my throat and makes a bit of a sound, but not really a vocalization. One of these days I may even remember to ask my psychologist about it.

Scattered

dancingirl
03-30-06, 04:35 PM
Is it tics (I have chronic motor tic disorder, not officially diagnosed) or compulsions or just me being weird/stupid?

Yeah, I say the stupidest things. The other day my mum and I were walking past a graveyard and I said, 'the gravestones are right up against the wall'. Like she really wanted to know/couldn't see for herself! :D
I totally relate to the complex motor tics...I have Tourettes and OCD. I will say the strangest senteces sometimes, they often make no sense or are really obvious things. I try to laugh about it. Sometimes I will just start babbling, stringing together random words or phrases. It's hard not to feel crazy when that is happening.

I was in a Starbucks a month or so ago, and there was a man who came in who was muttering to himself, and then got really loud, saying stuff about a revolution or something, being a king, I don't remember. Anyway, everyone in there got a little tense, I think people were afraid, they weren't sure what he might do. I was really sad for him because I thought, on some small scale, I can relate to this guy who I would say is "crazy." It just made me have compassion to realize that who knows how close I could be to becoming like that...

Crazygirl79
04-03-06, 07:04 PM
Hi Dancingirl.

I too have seen people chatting to themselves and thought it was crazy until I reminded myself that I do it too and that if I do it then people must think I'm nuts too.

Selena:)I totally relate to the complex motor tics...I have Tourettes and OCD. I will say the strangest senteces sometimes, they often make no sense or are really obvious things. I try to laugh about it. Sometimes I will just start babbling, stringing together random words or phrases. It's hard not to feel crazy when that is happening.

I was in a Starbucks a month or so ago, and there was a man who came in who was muttering to himself, and then got really loud, saying stuff about a revolution or something, being a king, I don't remember. Anyway, everyone in there got a little tense, I think people were afraid, they weren't sure what he might do. I was really sad for him because I thought, on some small scale, I can relate to this guy who I would say is "crazy." It just made me have compassion to realize that who knows how close I could be to becoming like that...

singoalla
04-13-06, 05:24 AM
hi, i just posted in the 'TS and my tics' thread, and realized I talk to myself. Also, I sing or hum, and repeat words or sounds I hear others say.
Must be annoying as heck to others, because I know that when I hear others repeat my words I get annoyed. heh.. caught myself repeating the ringtone of the phone a second ago. lol

Naomi2
04-13-06, 06:54 AM
I'm a bit worried at the moment - I keep having this horrible tension building up in my chest which I need to make a loud (strange) sound to get rid of (and then it returns). I don't think I've done it automatically though, so it feels cross between a tic and a compulsion. I'm hoping I won't be needing to change 'chronic motor tic disorder' to 'Tourette's syndrome'...

Crazygirl79
04-18-06, 07:50 PM
Singoalla
You are just like ME all over!!!!......I'm so glad I'm not alone.

Selena:)hi, i just posted in the 'TS and my tics' thread, and realized I talk to myself. Also, I sing or hum, and repeat words or sounds I hear others say.
Must be annoying as heck to others, because I know that when I hear others repeat my words I get annoyed. heh.. caught myself repeating the ringtone of the phone a second ago. lol

singoalla
04-19-06, 05:27 AM
heh, look long enough and apparently no one is alone :)

makes me feel a lot better to know.

dormammau2008
04-28-06, 03:03 PM
hello sing may i ask do you haeve vocal tics dorm