View Full Version : Website Layout

SassyVal
10-25-05, 04:01 PM
Hi All~

I am a webdesigner by trade and I am wondering if all y'all would be willing to help me out.

I know that some websites are just "too much" for me to handle because of how busy they are and I don't want to be a person that designs that way. I was hoping you all could give me ideas of some site layouts and components that really help you stay focused while on a site. I hope this makes sense.

I would like to be able to use your suggestions when I lay out pages and then back it up if a client has a differing idea or wants to make the page way busy.

So...
Elements that help (ie. navigation)
Colors that are definite no-no's
anyting else you can suggest

I really appreciate any and all feedback!
Thanks In Advance~

Crybaby1898
10-25-05, 04:09 PM
okay you want to know what help me the most is what called the forum jump. it takes you to any subforum that you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UnleashTheHound
10-25-05, 04:25 PM
I looked at your samples, and they mostly work for me.

In general...
If the site has a search feature, it should be easy to find. And it should work :). It's amazing how many sites search engines don't properly find documents that are on the site.

Fonts- Not small, not huge (around 12pt or so). No long paragraphs. I like how you have a heading between every few paragraphs in your samples. That makes it easy to follow.

Pages with too many navigational elements can be overwhelming. Pages with too few convey the impression that there's not much content on the site, and people may browse elsewhere.

Avoid cutting-edge plugins. For example, don't use the latest version of Flash that just came out. I avoid sites that force you to upgrade something. If they've been out awhile, then fine, since most people have upgraded already.

That's all I can think of for now...

Crybaby1898
10-25-05, 04:29 PM
i wanted to give you a complient! very good samples

HighFunctioning
10-25-05, 04:42 PM
All sites should be readable/usable in Lynx! :)

[Out of all seriousness, if a site can be read in lynx, it can usually be processed by text-to-speech software.]

SassyVal
10-25-05, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the Tips guys... keep em coming... this will be very helpful...

Thanks for the compliments on my work.
http://www.abovenbeyondgraphicdesign.com/samples.htm

EEEK... I just looked at the home page again and it's not the way it's supposed to be... grrr... I saved some newer graphics and they overwrote the right ones. Guess I need to get the new landing page design up as soon as possible.

For the most part, what I have been doing are sales letter sites for internet marketers, so they need to be pretty "no frills".

HF, great point about text-readers. I don't know that it's a "concern" on many designer's or marketer's radar screens. Thanks for the tip! I'm adding lynx to my "browser arsenal" now.

tekunoroji
03-14-06, 06:25 PM
Hi Valerie,

Interesting topic! I'm a Sr. Web Developer at Intel, with almost 10 years of web and eCommerce industry experience so I'm happy to lend an ADD and professional point of view.

First thing I noticed about your samples is that they are very text-heavy. Most ADD people (actually, metrics show most people PERIOD) are turned off and practically feel "attacked" by that much content in one area. I would suggest breaking things up visually by using tables, tabs, highlight boxes/channels for the important stuff, etc. Play around with it. Don't be afraid to put a paragraph in a table with a very soft background and complimentary border color rather than just making a larger font heading for it. Yahoo.com is a good example of how to organize a lot of text without making it seem so overwhelming. :) For some of these samples, I probably would've split the content into several pages rather than just one very long page.

Which brings me to my next point: GUI and navigation. I didn't see much in terms of navigation or a recognizable user interface in your samples. Mostly text links here and there. Becoming well-versed in current and next generation navigation and user experience best known methods will take your business a long way. Good luck! :D