View Full Version : How would you know?

netsavy006
11-02-05, 03:28 PM
:( How would you know (other than a doctor), that you have "'sensory'"
issues? :(

Please describe some experiences. What can you do for them? Thanks for the help. :) ;) :cool: :rolleyes:

speedo
11-02-05, 08:10 PM
Is this a trick question ?

If you have sensory problems it is possible to have "minor" sensory problems that you might not notice unless someone points them out to you.

My guess is, that in most cases, sensory problems that are severe enough to cause significant problems are going to have an "in your face" quality that makes them self-evident.

The problems is, if you are born and raised with these problems you might think they are normal until you learn that not everybody locks up when mom turns on the blender (hypersensitivity to sound)... and nobody but you says that your dinner salad tastes "red and sometimes blue" (synesthasia), etc.

For me, sound gets my attention as a sensory problem. After recognizing that I had problems with sound, I discovered that my other senses are also affected, but not so strongly as sound. Some sounds hurt, and others can cause a feeling of disorientation almost to the point of panic.
These experiences are so strong for me that I just have to admit that I have sensory issues.

It is a no brainer... not everybody is annoyed by bright lights and high pitched sounds, but I am, so there is definitely something amis in my sensory "world".

For less severe conditions you might want to look for indications of either sensory seeking or sensory defensive behaviors. There is a lot of information about this on the internet, and there is quite a bit of it in the sensory and autism forums here in ADDF.

Me :D