View Full Version : Cylert

wadew
09-29-03, 12:25 AM
Has anyone tried the drug cylert? Any good or bad things to say?

Andrew
09-29-03, 09:07 AM
I'm moving this post to the Medication section. You should read the warnings about Cylert there. Others that have had some experience will post their responses as well :)

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=506

MrsBulldog720
04-11-04, 11:03 PM
I took Cylert for less than a year, it worked fine at first but I couldn't seem to go up on the dosage... I had blood work every 6wks then at longer intervals, it's kinda hard to remember now how often i had it checked, but my liver function was stable on it & actually had lower results on my liver function test... But it has been know to cause liver failure so you have to have regular blood work while on it, kind of a pain.

Nori62986
06-02-04, 10:50 AM
I was taking Adderall XR for a while and it was helping me. But then I got pregnant so they switched me to Cylert. However I wouldn't recommend taking this unless you have no other choice.

Since Cylert's marketing in 1975, 13 people died or received a liver transplant as a result of this ADD medication. Cylert is shown to cause hepatitis in one out of every 1,000 patients.
Cylert only offers about a 50 percent effectiveness rate, the lowest effectiveness rate of ADD medication.

Gregster
06-02-04, 12:41 PM
It's not even available in Canada - because of the liver issues. I wouldn't consider it unless it was the absolutely last thing left to try, and even then.....

EchoHD
07-26-04, 01:48 AM
I have been taking Cylert off and on since I was diagnosed in 1999. It is an old drug, and only recently has the generic become available. It helps me more than anything else I have tried. The dosage I require is way over the recommended dosage, but that is all that will help. I have tried Adderal and AdderalXR, Concerta, Medidate adn all the anti depressants without success. One advantage with Cylert is that it doesnt not require a triplicate Rx. Of course I have had to argue with doctors many times that did not believe me. I know there is the liver risk, but in my case, it has not caused any problems, and the problems I have when I dont take Cylert are so overwhelming that I am willing to take the chance.

KarmicWhiplash
03-09-05, 03:46 PM
Its the only thing that works for me. Up side, I stay focused all day long. Down side, kills my appetite, and I cant gain any weight.

JPD5366
03-09-05, 04:31 PM
it is the first med my dr. tried... I am not crazy about it mainly b/c of the side effects. I wanted to try Strattera, but the doc was against b/c of side effects???

Jennifer

broK
03-09-05, 04:50 PM
my drs. absoul-freaking-loutly refuse to let me try it--despite my best begging & pleading (which usually i dont do)
he insists that strattera should do the trick :-/

Gregster
03-09-05, 05:51 PM
It's the rate of hepatitis that would scare me the most about Premoline. Anyone with a compromised liver would be contraindicated - and anyone the doctor might think could be at elevated risk of liver damage - like a moderate drinker (not a drinking problem) or someone already taking a lot of other medication.....Doctors can get a bit fussy when it comes to liver function - they get very risk averse because if you do enough damage to your liver, your future can start to look pretty grim. People aren't always honest with doctors especially when it comes to drinking habits or how much tylenol they take or other things that might make a liver more suseptable to damage, so the more hepatoxic the drug, the more careful a prudent doctor will be - almost paranoid sometimes!
I really don't know why your doctor would have tried Cyclert first Jennifer - he must have had a reason - I would ask him if I was in your situation - perhaps he's had a good response to it in the past? I hope that he is checking your blood for liver function, in any case.

JPD5366
03-09-05, 06:38 PM
My liver is already being monitored b/c of my cholestral meds... which is one reason why I was confused by this choice of drug. I really wanted to try Strattera b/c my daughter is doing AWESOME on it!!!

I am not really sure what to say or ask b/c I am SO new to this... I started Cylert last Wednesday. Monday (the 5th day) was HORRIBLE!!! I am also being treated for depression (since 1994) and Monday felt worse than before I was on anti-depressants! I cried ALL DAY LONG! I called and he recommended to cut the dose in half for three days and then call back, so I will be calling him tomorrow... any advise for how to handle this without being bossy or offensive?

Thanks!

KarmicWhiplash
03-17-05, 02:54 AM
The FACT is that Cylert isnt for everyone. I QUIT drinking completely whenI started back up on my med. I mean why mess around you know. Until they get this new clone thingy working and clone me a few extra livers I cant afford to damage this one too badly.
I AM A REALIST !!!
The problem is that a doctor sees that there had been cases of heptic (LIVER) failure. No matter how minute or rare those deaths are. Doctors have to be careful because of malpractice so they arnt tooooo quick to prescribe it. I think its like 15 deaths since it was first released in like 1975 or something. WOW... I mean like I could win the heptic failure sweepstakes or sometihng.
Surprisingly enough the human body is pretty damn resiliant. we are not the "oh so fragile, and delicate" ceramic china dolls that marketing companies would like us to believe. Whatever happened to survival of the fittest, oh yea thats not politically correct. LOL.... sorry, my tangents know no bounds.
As long as you are up front with your doctor about everything he should be able to help you in you endevors. Isnt that what doctors are for. To help others ??? if he is critical of trying to help you, then its time to find a new doctor. food for thought

TyPe-Zero
05-22-06, 04:44 PM
I was prescribed Cylert as a 'frontline' medication for ADD/ADHD (the former). Very weird. Not many posts about it so that isn't really reassuring. I just took half a dose of it (1/2 of 37.5mg made by Sandoz). Let's see how this does as the first medication I take for ADD :D