View Full Version : bipolar mania/depression

netsavy006
11-21-05, 01:49 PM
Just curious. What is the difference between :) bipolar mania :) and :( bipolar depression :(?

Nova
11-21-05, 02:15 PM
Bipolar is the name for what used to be called manic-depression...in the days when people used to ride in a horse and buggy... (0: (kidding)
Here's a site that has more information on 'folks like me' (0:
Nova

http://www.bipolar.com/

netsavy006
11-22-05, 02:01 PM
Just curious. What is the difference between :) bipolar mania :) and :( bipolar depression :(?
I was just curious....:confused:...Are these 2 the same thing are is there a differnce between these 2 terms?

Andi
11-22-05, 02:16 PM
Mania = the "highs" of bipolar disorder

*Increased physical and mental activity and energy
*Heightened mood, exaggerated optimism and self-confidence
*Excessive irritability, aggressive behavior
*Decreased need for sleep without experiencing fatigue
*Grandiose delusions, inflated sense of self-importance
*Racing speech, racing thoughts, flight of ideas
*Impulsiveness, poor judgment, distractibility
*Reckless behavior
*In the most severe cases, delusions and hallucinations

Depression = the "lows" of bipolar disorder

*Prolonged sadness or unexplained crying spells
*Significant changes in appetite and sleep patterns
*Irritability, anger, worry, agitation, anxiety
*Pessimism, indifference
*Loss of energy, persistent lethargy
*Feelings of guilt, worthlessness
*Inability to concentrate, indecisiveness
*Inability to take pleasure in former interests, social withdrawal
*Unexplained aches and pains
*Recurring thoughts of death or suicide

A rapid cycler can have manic and depressive cycles within an extended or shorter period of time. There are some that experience mixed episodes...feeling symptoms of mania and depression simultaneously. Personally I started out cycling daily, sometimes within hours. Recently we have discovered that I have been experiencing mixed episodes....fun, fun, fun :eyebrow:

Hope this helps. :)

okidoll
01-04-06, 11:26 AM
This is one thing I don't understand about my husband's diagnosis of Bi polar (not the doctor hasn't officially diagnosed yet but suspected), because he doesn't have "highs". He fluctuates between depression, anxiety, anger, suspicion and then back to his regular self.

I guess the anger, anxiety and suspicion could be the mania as he seems very hyper during this time? :confused: He does have some signs of the highs but I just don't understand. The psychiatrist did ask him if he had any compulsions since he told her he constantly dwells on certain thoughts over and over again, and can't clear his mind or think of anything else. I'm very confused so I apologize if my posts seem disjointed as my mind is racing as well.

What does one call it when you are more like your regular self instead of cycling through these stages? I hesitate to use the word "normal" as that is subjective, but what do you call it when the person is being more like themselves ?