View Full Version : Using Coupons

nuffsed
11-22-05, 02:47 PM
Now that I'm medicated, I'm hoping to be able to use coupons again. They usually expire before I use them. Currently, I have them in an envelope marked "coupons" expire nov/dec/jan.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks.

Scattered
11-22-05, 02:49 PM
I gave up on using coupons years ago -- I can't usually remember to take my grocery list -- coupons, well ...... that's asking a bit much of my brain.:rolleyes:

LittleD1981
11-22-05, 04:15 PM
Hahaha, me too! Last month I made a grocery list, and totally forgot to take it with me to the store. Luckily, though, I remembered everything on it except for one thing, and that one thing wasn't important anyway. I'm lucky in that way, that if I write something down (like directions on how to get some place, a list for something, etc.) I will remember it without needing whatever was written. I can write it and then just throw it away and it will be remembered...weird.

But with coupons, I also have an envelope marked "coupons" and it seems the only time I go into the envelope is to throw away all the expired ones. I never remember that I have them when it comes time to go to the store.

stori813
11-23-05, 02:43 PM
I keep my coupons with my grocery list in the same kitchen cabinet.
So I remember to bring them.
I don't forget the list because it's a habit for me to shop each week with it.
I only use coupons on things I would normally buy.
So that means just a few coupons to bring along each time I go shopping.
I also put the coupons in order of month of when they will expire in the envelope.
So I can remember to use them before they do. :)

Uminchu
11-23-05, 03:09 PM
Once I got into a real kick about using coupons. I would get two different newspapers, and plan out shopping trips by coupons. One time, after getting a whole bunch of groceries for around $20, the cashier congratulated me...

But of course, after a while I got bored of that, and the coupons disappeared. :p

It's almost a relief that coupons are virtually unheard of here in Japan, where I presently live. One less thing to worry about. ;)

UnleashTheHound
11-23-05, 04:02 PM
This is one of the rare areas of my life that is organized. I have an organizer that holds the coupons sorted by expiration date. I browse through them while making a list.

Grocery lists on the other hand.... I can take one to the store with me, and still usually forget to buy a couple of items listed on it :)

barbyma
11-24-05, 01:16 AM
I use a "check file". It's a small organizer designed for checks. It has about a dozen pockets that I label by category. I go through all the coupons at the end of each month and throw out the expired ones.

Each Sunday morning, I get the supermarket ad from the paper along with the coupon inserts and make my shopping list. Then clip and file. Shopping list goes in the file, too.

wheresmykeys
11-27-05, 06:00 AM
Impossible.

nuffsed
11-27-05, 06:20 PM
Really good ideas here. Thanks. I think it would be easier too if I actually planned a menu for the week. If something works for me I'll post it.

P.S. Cleaned out the car today. Really proud of myself. Fixed the taillight and put on new wiper blades too, but didn't get a paper with coupons. Oh well. Maybe next week?

meadd823
12-02-05, 10:43 PM
My partner is the coupon keeper. He keeps his in his brief case which is more like a "man purse". When he plans on using them he places the ones he is going to use in his wallet next to his money so he will remember to use them once in the store!!!!!

vegansoprano
01-04-06, 04:31 PM
I tuck coupons for products I use frequently right in my wallet. That way I usually remember to look for them and use them. While I'm in the store looking through them, I pull out any that are outdated and toss them, and decide whether or not I really want to use any that are nearly outdated. I hang on to those until I leave just in case the person in front of me in the line might be able to use one. :)

The Whole Foods near school keeps Mambo Sprouts coupon books near their entrance. They are great. I just grab a booklet on my way in and use whatever coupons I can. If there is a coupon for a favorite staple, I'll go back and grab a few more booklets so I can stock up. I wish all stores did this!

oopsiforgot
03-09-06, 10:16 PM
Don't you hate when you're unpacking your groceries at home and you find those coupons stuck to the item that say "Save $$$ Now"?!!! Man...I have GOT to start looking more closely.

nuffsed
03-19-06, 07:49 PM
Update---
Never used one of the coupons that I clipped. I think the last one expired in February. They might be in my car, but I'm not sure. Thank Goodness for Sam's Choice.

chloe516
03-19-06, 08:03 PM
I have given up on coupons. I just use the keychain thingy that a lot of supermarkets have.