View Full Version : Trojan QHOSTS IE Vulnerability -- ALERT

Andrew
10-02-03, 06:28 PM
Trojan QHOSTS IE Vulnerability -- ALERT

Systems Affected: Windows systems runnning Internet Explorer (IE). If you are using Internet Explorer, you are vulnerable to this exploit.

Description: This vulnerability allows an infected web site to download and run executable code on your computer without your knowledge. This current exploit may cause your computer to be unable to connect to websites, or may cause it to connect to incorrect websites when trying to connect to popular search sites such as www.google.com. Further exploits are unidentified at this time, but it is likely that they are forthcoming.

Actions: Update your anti-virus signatures; use a personal firewall; disable active scripting.

Comments: As of today, October 2nd, 2003, Microsoft has not yet released an official patch for this vulnerability.

aforceforgood
10-02-03, 10:00 PM
Well, I changed my active-X control to prompt, and promptly got asked if I wanted to allow an active-X script to run while searching for a plane ticket.

Is it ok if it's marked as safe to run?

Or is there any way to know?

Andrew
10-02-03, 10:06 PM
There is no single source to tell you if something is safe or not. It would be helpful if the Active X control was digitally signed, and you trusted the company and website you're accessing.