View Full Version : weighted blankets where to buy and why???

K. Doubleya
12-03-05, 09:50 AM
Hi, Anyone know anything about weighted blankets? Where to buy, expense etc. Why do some of us feel like we need pressure applied to our bodies?

Marmalade_man
12-03-05, 11:21 AM
Do a search for blankets in the search box on this page and you will see some other posts about this item. There is at least one post with a person who has ordered one. He no doubt can help you.

Who knows 'why' anthing happens? It is impossible to say why. If you like it, do something about it and enjoy. Personally I like lots of blankets and two heavy down sleeping bags.

Best wishes, MM

meadd823
12-04-05, 06:09 AM
I don't necessarily need heavy blankets but I have found I have to have at least a sheet from my knees to my shoulders to fall asleep.

When I was younger I was often told I was like the "Princess and the Pea" because I could feel any lump in the bed. I hate those old mattresses with the buttons on them because those buttons would drive me nuts!!!!!!

speedo
12-04-05, 11:23 AM
Dream Catcher blankets

a google search will turn them up.

Good Luck

ME :D

Amadeus
06-24-06, 12:39 PM
There is a sound psychological reason for this (I assume it is the same principle):

The programme "The Woman Who Thinks Like a Cow" on UK TV (BBC2 or maybe Channel Four) showed the famous Tample Grandin, an autistic woman who famously is renowned for her work in cattle welfare etc. using a cattle-press type system that she copied from the holding unit used hold cattle static during innoculation.

The principle is that deep pressure has a calming effect on the body, lowering stress levels and heart rate.

I would guess that is it.

See "hug-machine" on the great site that is wikipedia.

Edit: Forgot to put the name of the programme in - all the rest was there - lol.

Think that was the name of it anyway.

payattention
06-24-06, 03:00 PM
i work with austic people and i've heard that with that disorder quite often people have a sensation that they are floating, and the weighted blankets help them feel secure. it's worked wonders for some people i've seen, but others have no interest in them.

if you cant find any, let me know and i'll see where we got ours at work

speedo
06-24-06, 07:39 PM
The theory is that the weighted blankes provide deep stimulation that drowns out sensory "noise" in hypersensitive people and thus provides a calming effect.

This is analogous to wrapping babies snugly in swaddling clothes to quiet them down.

ME :D

BananaSlip
06-25-06, 02:45 PM
Go to http://www.abilitations.com/ and go to the "Abilitations Store".

They have weighted vests and other similar products, but if you want weighted blankets, here is the link: https://www.schoolspecialtyonline.net/ECommerce;jsessionid=28330C0C7484714C1852B7565FD69 33F

I have found many products that are useful for myself and my students who have ADHD, including dynamic seating products that allow movement during seating. They have been very helpful in increasing focus and engagement during instruction: https://www.schoolspecialtyonline.net/ECommerce

BananaSlip
06-26-06, 12:41 AM
Ok, disregard the last two links. They don't work for some reason. Just go to the first link; then, to "Order Online"; and finally "Browse". You can then search for "weighted blanket" or whatever you're interested in.

ames
07-12-06, 10:13 PM
A question for the original poster: Is the weighted blanket for an adult or a child? If for a child, I would suggest first talking to an occupational therapist who specializes in sensory integration issues. The OT would be extremely helpful in terms of how long to use the weighted blanket for (my understanding is that it should not be used overnight, as it may actually end up decreasing the effectiveness of the weighted blanket. Plus it can get really hot under the weight of the blanket!) and if it is even the right tool for the child. If for an adult, I hope the weighted blanket helps!

illusive
05-23-08, 09:07 AM
arg. I have to always have weighted blankets.

With a sheet between me and the blanket so I can wrap it around my face ...then no-one can see my face as I sleep.

I don't know why these things are so important to me....but they always have been.

I went through a big crinkle in bed phase when I was little too....the bed had to be absolutely crinkle free before I would lye in it.

Mary
05-23-08, 10:19 AM
I'm that way... the older I get the worse it gets. I can't cover my face though, as I get a suffocating feeling anymore.

Meadd mentioned the Princess and The Pea story. That's how I feel, but even the smallest grain of sand will make it so I'm unable to sleep. Made worse by my Fibromyalgia.

trashion
02-17-09, 08:10 PM
I do ridiculous things with blankets when I sleep, too. I wrap one around my arms and behind my head. Then I'm cozy. So I have a regular blanket up to my chest, then my "upper blanket" wrapped around my arms and head. This sounds reallly odd, I know, but it's so comfy and I have problems sleeping without the extra one.

Logic
02-18-09, 12:11 PM
Speaking personally; Deep Sensory Touch has a calming effect as opposed to Light Sensory Touch such as lightly stroking or tickling which only serves to over-stimulate and upset.

There's lots of information on the web, wikipedia in particular about 'Deep Pressure Therapy/holds' that were used and applied to children with attachment disorders or in some (some controversial) cases applied to Autistic children and children with developmental disorders.

http://www.affordabletherapysolutions.com (http://www.affordabletherapysolutions.com/) is where I got mine from, got mine in Black Camo just to throw over my bed at night.

Only1Jomo
03-29-09, 03:16 AM
One more thing to let me know Im in the right place!!! I absolutely have to have a blanket that has some weight to it. I have a couple blankets that are perfect and unfortunately falling apart but I refuse to get rid of them until I find others that are just as perfect. Even as a baby I had to be wrapped as tight as my mom could get me in a blanket. And my face can not be covered at all!! Any kind of light touch will send me into a crazed rubbing and scratching fit (like trying to get something off me) and I get very angry. I need a good solid touch. I just thought I was weird. It is very very comforting to me.

ken123
04-04-09, 11:04 PM
I would suggest looking at DreamCatcher Weighted Blankets. They started because they needed a weighted blanket for their son with autism. I bought one 3 years ago for my brother with ADD and he loves it. It was customed made for him because he is a big guy and really tall, but I guess they have blankets already made too. If anyone wants to check the out the address is www.weightedblanket.net.

Sonja
05-21-09, 06:50 PM
Wow, I never realized that heavy blankets was an ADHD thing. I hate most comforters so much. They are so fluffy and have no weight. My main source of heavy blankets has been traditional Acadian quilts from grannies in New Brunswick. It's mostly an oral tradition, passed down from generation to generation, especially through women. My sister is making me one right now.

It's interesting how a lot of traditional technology that are harder to find nowadays like heavy quilts or rocking chairs are so ADHD/autism-friendly.

raen
05-27-09, 06:51 AM
http://www.saltoftheearthweightedgear.com/

I got my blanket from salt of the earth. Its a ten pound blanket. I love it. I've had it for a few years now. I couldn't sleep without it.

FinallyAnswered
05-27-09, 11:12 AM
Yikes! Prices are pretty high for "weighted" blankets.

I have a king-sized Korean Mink blanket that I bought on Ebay for $57. It's not only heavy, (over 10 lbs) it's extremely warm......so you're not just paying for excess weight, you get fantastic comfort because they are just like Velour and feel great against your body.

Oh.....they do sell these at flea markets, but your choices may be limited to Elvis or Dogs playing poker....lol

danelady
05-12-10, 11:35 AM
There is a sound psychological reason for this (I assume it is the same principle):

The programme "The Woman Who Thinks Like a Cow" on UK TV (BBC2 or maybe Channel Four) showed the famous Tample Grandin, an autistic woman who famously is renowned for her work in cattle welfare etc. using a cattle-press type system that she copied from the holding unit used hold cattle static during innoculation.

The principle is that deep pressure has a calming effect on the body, lowering stress levels and heart rate.

I would guess that is it.

See "hug-machine" on the great site that is wikipedia.

Edit: Forgot to put the name of the programme in - all the rest was there - lol.

Think that was the name of it anyway.

Oh my gosh!! I just put up a question to see if anyone has see the HBO movie about her! She's my hero!

Oops..I didn't read how old this earlier post was. Oh,well,sorry.