View Full Version : My biggest regret...take it or leave it.

jared
12-11-05, 04:23 PM
I've been on drugs for serious ADHD for over 10 years now. It's been a while since I was diagnosed and I've learned plenty about ADD over the years. Yet I have only one piece of advice for those of you who have recently been diagnosed and are approaching or are in high school.

I smoked tons of pot and did plenty of drugs. Don't do it!!! I really hated my ADD medication and smoking calmed me down and allowed me to make friends and feel "normal". But smoking once in a while led to smoking all the time. I couldn't help it! I thought "I'm not like that...I'm to smart to smoke all the time or try harder drugs". That was just after eighth grade and I was so wrong and was not nearly as old and wise as I thought.

ADD makes it so hard to control drug use. If it helped me escape that restless feeling, it was worth any price. But had I NEVER tried smoking, I would have never known about that quick fix and would have worked through my ADD in more productive ways. I never thought I would be the guy giving this type of advice, and I would not tell anyone that they shouldn't smoke pot...but for people with ADD, it's different. We cannot control ourselves like non ADDers can.

I'll speak for myself. I could not control my smoking well enough to keep from trying other drugs (which I thought helped my ADD even better). Nor could I smoke once a month, once a week, or even once a day. It became who I was and what I did. Smoking was what I looked forward to at the cost of girls and education and family. I regret it and wanted to put this out there. Take it or leave it, but if you're a teen with ADD, you're not like your friends and will not have as much control of your drug use. So my advice is leave the drugs for the non-ADDers and try and keep your problems at a minimum because, even without drugs, you have more on your plate than you can eat...all the time...24 hours a day; or at least I do.

Adamant1988
12-11-05, 10:17 PM
Meh, I don't do any drugs or anything. Had a little stint with drinking, but that was a weird phase for me.