View Full Version : Anyone Else Have Trouble With Laundry?

barbyma
12-12-05, 12:44 PM
Okay, laundry and shopping are the two household chores that are exclusively my domain. Shopping I've got down, no problem.:D

Here's my trouble w/laundry:

The machines are in our garage and I often can't hear the buzzer go off. I'll forget I have laundry going until the day is gone and only one load is done.

I set a timer in the house to remind me to change the loads, but I often forget to do that.

If anyone has suggestions......

livinginchaos
12-12-05, 03:25 PM
I have trouble starting my laundry! It's all the way in the basement and I'm on 2nd floor. Plus, the washing machine takes 1 hour to wash 1 load!

When I actually do my laundry - I make a night or day of it. This way, I don't forget about it. I also set a timer. As soon as that timer goes off, I'm headed downstairs so i don't forget about it.

When I have laundry day/night, I tend to just watch movies or do something that's easy to stop so it doesn't take as much effort to continue with the laundry.

Scattered
12-12-05, 04:55 PM
No help here I'm afraid. I've got a brand new washer and drier with nice loud buzzers just in the next room, but the laundry is still piled high. :o Laundry is something I've never managed to get a good handle on. Maybe someone one the boards has something useful to offfer. Good luck!

Scattered

PS: I've it's just a matter of not hearing the buzzer (you see I hear it and just don't act on it) you could set one in the kitchen for the same time as your washer takes and use that to cue you.

barbyma
12-12-05, 06:20 PM
PS: I've it's just a matter of not hearing the buzzer (you see I hear it and just don't act on it) you could set one in the kitchen for the same time as your washer takes and use that to cue you.
That's what I do now. It only works when I remember to set it!!!

Thanks.

Scattered
12-12-05, 06:51 PM
That's what I do now. It only works when I remember to set it!!!

Thanks.Ah yes, those nigley detail like setting it! I've finally figured something out about myself, if it's out of site, it's out of mind -- period!!! My husband wanted to move my piano to a music room in our house. I said no, I'm playing it again after years of not touching it, because it is in our front room and I see it!!! If I don't have my kid's homeschool books in the kitchen where I can see them, we don't do school, because I won't remember what I want to get by the time I get to a room to pick them up. Pathetic, but at least I know what the key is now. If it's important put it in my visual field!

Hmmmm -- just had another thought. If you could pick up a used baby monitor set and leave the receiver on down in the laundry and put the other near you, you'll hear the beeper.

barbyma
12-12-05, 06:55 PM
Hmmmm -- just had another thought. If you could pick up a used baby monitor set and leave the receiver on down in the laundry and put the other near you, you'll hear the beeper.
Great idea!

meadd823
12-13-05, 11:58 AM
If you could pick up a used baby monitor set and leave the receiver on down in the laundry and put the other near you, you'll hear the beeper.

That is a good idea!!!!!

I can get the laundary in the washer and even out on the line, it is the back in from the clothes line and into the drawers that I dis-like. Need a beeping clothes line prehaps??????

Some times if Gary wants clean under things he has to go to the clothes line and get a claen pair off. You would think he would go ahead and get the rest of the clothes but nooooo that is against his "religion". :rolleyes:

barbyma
12-13-05, 12:02 PM
Some times if Gary wants clean under things he has to go to the clothes line and get a claen pair off. You would think he would go ahead and get the rest of the clothes but nooooo that is against his "religion". :rolleyes:
OMG, I'm terrible about this. If I go to the dryer to get something out, would it be that hard for me to get everything out? :eyebrow:

desertotter
12-15-05, 10:29 AM
when I got my currently place, I deliberately put my bedroom is a smaller room, and use the big on for storage... because the smaller room has the laundry closet right next too it! I use my washer AS my hamper. my dirty clothes go directly into it, when it gets full I run it. the next night when i go to put dirty clothes in my washer, I remember that I ran the washer last night and put the damp clothes into the dryer and run it...I also tend to were clothes right out of the dryer, I seldom put anything away. why bother?

barbyma
12-15-05, 10:59 AM
I use my washer AS my hamper.
This is a GREAT idea!! For a single person.......

Doesn't work with a family of 4 though.

puzzlingpurple
12-17-05, 03:31 PM
I never seem to have trouble with getting laundry done so much as I tend to forget to get it out of the drier. I use coin opperated machines in a apt. building near mine and my clothes almost always end up just sitting in the drier for a few days. I just forget about them or I always tell myself I'm going to get them that day and then I get distracted by the rest of the world...any suggestions for this?

meadd823
12-24-05, 10:04 AM
I use coin opperated machines in a apt. building near mine and my clothes almost always end up just sitting in the drier for a few days. I just forget about them or I always tell myself I'm going to get them that day and then I get distracted by the rest of the world...any suggestions for this?

The only sure fire way I know to have broken this habit was to have my clothes stolen!!!!!! One a load of jeans goes ????? Problem seemed to fix itself...the teen age kids would go and get the clothes out of the dryer!!!!!Jeans are expensive and they wanted to keep what they had!

Haze
01-11-06, 01:57 AM
Last week I went through this enormous pile of clothes in the kitchen, sorting it into colours. There were six piles. The household is dressed entirely in black now as that was what I did first. Only took me a week to get through the black pile. When that pile was done I put the red pile right where I have to stand to make tea. This should work :/

I take it from what people say its possible to put different colors in together sometimes?

barbyma
01-11-06, 10:53 AM
The household is dressed entirely in black now as that was what I did first.
We really need a ROTF smiley!

I take it from what people say its possible to put different colors in together sometimes?
It totally depends on the fabrics. To be on the safe side, I do darks & lights and try to do reds separately. My experience is that at least half of reds will run....

kansas2006
01-11-06, 01:05 PM
I'm not too bad with laundry because a machine is doing the work. Only takes a couple of minutes to load and unload and I can deal with that. It is dishes that are my downfall. They take too long and are never a quick task to do. I don't seem to have the time or want to spend the time. I really need to just spend $400 and get a dishwasher now while I can afford it.

In the meantime, I'm compensating by using plastic cutlery and paper/stryofoam plates and bowls. Only if I have company over do I get out the real stuff.

Other sticking points:

- Cleaning the bathtub/shower

- Raking/bagging the leaves in the fall

- Pulling weeds in the front yard in the summer and trimming the hedges along the steps

- Washing the windows

- Cleaning the gutters

- Changing HVAC filters

- TAXES

barbyma
01-11-06, 01:43 PM
I really need to just spend $400 and get a dishwasher now while I can afford it.
Of course, dishwashers don't cut the work all that much!

In the meantime, I'm compensating by using plastic cutlery and paper/stryofoam plates and bowls. Only if I have company over do I get out the real stuff.
We use normal cutlery, but 80% of our meals are eated off of paper plates! DH does the dishes 80% of the time, too.

Other sticking points:

- Cleaning the bathtub/shower
- Raking/bagging the leaves in the fall
- Pulling weeds in the front yard in the summer and trimming the hedges along the steps
- Washing the windows
- Cleaning the gutters
- Changing HVAC filters
- TAXES
I actually enjoy doing the taxes. Never remember to change the filters.

Everything else is done by someone else. It's just SO worth it to fork out a nominal fee every other week to avoid yard work & "major" cleaning!

LacyLew
01-11-06, 03:57 PM
You could get a timer that hangs around your neck or clips to your clothes so it's always with you. Then you can't help but hear it!!

I have the clip-on kind which works wonderfully especially when I cook because I'm usually running around doing 10 tasks at once. It's prevented a lot of burned food !! :D

Our laundry room is on the second floor right next to the bedrooms. Funny though, even though it's right there, I still hate sorting and putting clothes away!

barbyma
01-11-06, 05:53 PM
You could get a timer that hangs around your neck or clips to your clothes so it's always with you. Then you can't help but hear it!!

What a great idea! That could help remind me of quite a few things!

Thanks!

meadd823
01-12-06, 07:52 AM
Raking/bagging the leaves in the fall

Me mom mows them with lawn mower making them mulch!!!!

Pulling weeds in the front yard in the summer and trimming the hedges along the steps

My front yard is nothing but weeds...I don't have any thing that requires trimming!!!!

I do NOT mow it doesn't matter if the weeds grow above the roof I am soo alergic to grasses and weeds I can't. Gary does this before him I had to pay some one..I do not EVER water my weds either slow thier growth!!!!

putting clothes away

My cloths tend to live in baskets for a while especially when I have to work. I fold them when they come down from the clothes line but they can be in the basket until digging for stuff in the basket becomes more work than putting what is left away!!!!

QueensU_girl
01-26-06, 12:43 AM
I set a timer. Either on the MICROWAVE, or on my Timex Watch, or on my POCKET PC (like a PALM PILOT).

My Pocket PC PDA can set several (FOUR) ALARMS to go off in a 24 hr period. Up to 7 days/wk.

I can also set my calendar for appointment alarms -- either 5/15/30/45 0r 60 mins before i have to get to the app't. I set it 30 mins before i have to be somewhere.

Also, i can choose to make app'ts REPEATING. Say, Every Monday night at 7pm.

PDAs are excellent.

Emma

nasnem
01-26-06, 03:01 AM
I used to have trouble with the laundry until a laundry fairy moved into our home about 6 years ago. I just push my dirty, wrinkled clothes through a little wooden door in the back of my closet and they reappear in my closet a few days later clean, ironed and/or folded! :)

It moved in about the time my sweet wife quit work to stay home with our first child. I've asked her what the fairy looks like because she must have seen it at least a few times, but she just rolls her eyes at me.:rolleyes:

I don't think my sweet wife wants me to know that she eats bon bons all day while the fairy does all the laundry.:eyebrow:

oopsiforgot
03-09-06, 10:13 PM
Try having an all ADD family try to put dirty clothes in the hamper. :0( I find stuff everywhere, and I have no idea if its clean or dirty. I eat, sleep, and breath laundry...

UGH!

Nova
03-09-06, 11:14 PM
Oopsiforgot,
You must've read my mind- since this thread was 'laid to rest' since January, and I was having a ***t fit, in my laundry room today, while doing my laundry.

I forgot a few kleenex, in the pocket of one of my jeans, when I washed them- so of course, I had a zillion little wet pieces of wet kleenex, stuck to each single garment I threw in the washer !!!!!!!

I had to *snap* each one, to try and remove the buggers, as much as possible, before throwing each and every one, in the dryer !!!!!!

So now, each of those zillion kleenex pieces, are now all over my laundry room.
Stuck to everything !!!!!!!!!

What a mess !!!

I don't even want to look in the dryer yet...which has shut off for over an hour now.

Tara
03-09-06, 11:34 PM
If I can get through a whole week with out having to wash a load twice because I left it in the machine then I am happy. Or maybe I should say I will be happy...lol

lettie
03-10-06, 12:32 AM
I can be of no help here...I am a laundry failure. As I pushed my way past the rubble and into my closet this evening, I had high hopes of finding a certain pair of pants. They must, however, have become victim to the little gnome who wears my clothes when I am gone. Sometimes he throws them on the floor where I can find them...sometimes he hides them in the back..and other times they must fit him so well I never see them again. He is especially fond of dirty clothes

Nova
03-10-06, 12:37 AM
NO DOUBT !!!

Done that too !!
What is it with forgetting about the clothes in the washer/dryer ????

When I did forget them, when I lived in apartments that had 'communal' washer/dryers (shared within the apartment units)- that absolutely sukked !!!

I would forget about them for hours, until all of a sudden I would remember, and go hauling derriere, into the laundry room (and you had ot remember to bring your key to get into that room...sigh...) to find my clothes on top of the washer/dryer..

How embarrassing..I had 'girl' stuff in that load of wash..(0:

Nova (rolling eyes)

chameleon
03-10-06, 01:55 AM
I can wash 'em. I can dry 'em. It's the getting them folded and put away that I fail at.
When I pull clothes from the dryer, I put them in baskets and pile the baskets on my dining room table so I'll HAVE to fold them and put them away.
That was the original thought anyway...
Instead, now my dining room table is now always covered in clothes.
And you can see my dining room from my front door. Reeeal nifty.
It's funny. I can dive in and get the big jobs done - the dishes, the sweeping and mopping, the washing of every wall in the house - but when it comes to some of the smaller jobs, they seem so daunting to me. Take cleaning the toilet. I HATE it. It seems like it will take f-o-r-e-v-e-r, but it really only takes a few minutes. But it SEEMS like it will take forever! So it always gets done last now, and sometimes not at all.
Folding and putting away clothes is like that for me. Seems like it will take hours to do.

lettie
03-10-06, 02:15 AM
And, now that I think about it I not only stink at the laundry...if it isn't clothes shopping, I stink at that too.
I'm no good by myself at the grocery store. Either I'm really hungry and I come away with all kinds of crazy things...or I wander around hoping these elaborate meals will jump in my basket.

A really bad day....doing laundry, going to grocery store, going to cleaners, cleaning house, and getting gas (i hate doing that for some reason)

chameleon
03-10-06, 02:24 AM
I don't gas the cars. I always have someone else do it. It scares me for some reason. Afraid I'll bump the gas pump and blow us all to smithereens maybe?
*shivers*
No...I don't do gas stations.

~boots~
03-10-06, 08:19 AM
I love doing the washing (Laundy)(In Australia we say "doing the washing, IN the laundry")....I like the sound of the washing machine, and I like the peace and quiet of hanging it out :-) I love to fold it and sort it on my dining table. The kids grab it as they walk past :-) I often have little piles of nicely washed and folded washing all over my bedroom though! That's where my enthusiasm ends LOL..
( I really really love doing the washing)

I like the challenge of getting ALL the clothes in the machine too....

Ironing is a different matter..I prolong that as long as possible and all the kids do their own on Sundays..I leave mine until I have no work clothes left :-)

jess
03-10-06, 09:49 AM
this is a great thread i love it.
Hate laundry ahhhh makes me sick to stomach at thought of doing it. But heres how i lessen the pain

Have 3 kids for starters

make each responsible for puttin clothes in wash basket (have one for each person)

teach to fill machine, put coloured sticker on the programe dial preffered and to line it up

etc. sounds anal i know but as a single mum with adhd and with 11 yr olds and a seven yr old ( she does not do machine but !!)
I really dont see why i schould do allllll the cr4p jobs and its a good way of saving hassle in the long run ie when teenagers and in future of some poor unsuspecting female partner. Also limits liklehood of ear bashing from a future daughter in law about what a lazy s o a b my son might be

fuzzybrain
03-20-06, 11:43 AM
I guess I am teaching my kids not to do laundry, because my mom taught all day, she ended up doing it, so I never learned, now i am passing that gem on to my kids-I am doing it all!! I have 2 teenagers, who change outfits at least three times daily, and just throw stuff down for me to do-later, I have no right to complain because it is easier for me just to do it than to teach them how, however my daughter does do it when she wants something special to wear-or wants something new-
That is really good to teach your kids to do it, I love the sticker idea, I am really into stickers and bright colors-I am getting so bored of doing laundry, just tired of doing it over and over-it kills me!!!

Sorry now my tirade is over. Lori

Lunacie
03-20-06, 12:12 PM
Try having an all ADD family try to put dirty clothes in the hamper. :0( I find stuff everywhere, and I have no idea if its clean or dirty. I eat, sleep, and breath laundry...

UGH!
Oh gods! That's what it's like around here with my ADD granddaughter. Sometimes she puts her clothes into the laundry basket on the floor of her closet, but when I sort them out there are clean clothes in there too. How do I know they're clean? They're still folded. What's up with that?

I used to get mad at her because I didn't want to wash clothes again that were clean until they ended up in the laundry basket with stinky dirty clothes. But now she sorts and washes her own clothes. She turned 8 last month. She doesn't put them away though. Ah well, half the job is better than none.

goughy
03-20-06, 04:21 PM
I had my second day on ritalin Saturday and did 7 loads, washed, dried and folded. It almost freaked my wife out. I wasn't gonna take it any other time but at work - she now wants me on it every minute I'm awake.

Jaycee
03-20-06, 04:49 PM
I get behind on laundry all the time. It comes from having a family of 6 and not getting home until after 6 in the evenings. If I slack for 1 day it all piles up, so I take several loads to the washeteria and so them all at once. I have spent up tp $30 dollars at one time doing this, but it gets me caught back up and is well worth it in the long run. I keep telling my hubby that we need another dryer and I'd do better.

In the last couple of months I've made my 11 & 8 yr old daughters do their own laundry...They can do it together or separately on Tuesdays and Fridays...If they don't have clean clothes...oh well. (It's only happened twice and was a real motivator) I still do the special wash but they have directions posted for the rest.

looneygirl
03-21-06, 12:26 PM
I hate laundry, but I am really picky about my clothes. When my husband helps
everyone has wrinkled shirts and I have to redo them or redry them. It makes
him mad because he is trying to help. I need to find someone to trade chores with, I would rather clean toliets, bathrooms, mop, iron, clean bird cage, weed flower beds etc.. than do laundry. The only thing I would not trade it for is vacuuming the carpet. Most of my downstairs is tile, which is not bad to sweep/mop I don't like laundry or vacuuming.

fuzzybrain
03-22-06, 11:42 AM
YEah,
That brings up a question-how do you do laundry-do you schedule one or two loads a day, from sorting to putting away?

Why is it such a daunting task, because there is so much to it? BEcause I am too picky about it? Because it never seems to be completely done-ie everyone in the family is always "wearing" a load!!!

I just have trouble with laundry because I don't want to take the time to do it, unless I can do it to perfection-like it is a performance or a masterpiece I guess. And nobody seems to appreciate the perfectly folded clothes so beautifully and perfectly folded in the basket, they just rifle through looking for something special.

So I guess I now know why I dislike it, plus it just gets so old, and I am ready for something new.

tristan k
04-02-06, 08:47 AM
If I can get through a whole week with out having to wash a load twice because I left it in the machine then I am happy. Or maybe I should say I will be happy...lol
This has got to be my first issue with laundry. Don't even want to count how many loads have been washed 2 or even 3 :faint: times because I forgot they were there. My other issue is after they're done in the dryer. :eek: I can put them in a basket, but that's as far as I get. So then I'll just get the clean ones from there. Funny, the clothes that are actually in the dresser or closet are the ones I usually don't wear.:eyebrow:

barbyma
04-02-06, 12:54 PM
This has got to be my first issue with laundry. Don't even want to count how many loads have been washed 2 or even 3 :faint: times because I forgot they were there. My other issue is after they're done in the dryer. :eek: I can put them in a basket, but that's as far as I get.

I rewash about every other load & never take anything out of the dryer unless I'm willing to put it away immediately. I "fluff" a lot!

chloe516
04-02-06, 01:21 PM
I rewash about every other load & never take anything out of the dryer unless I'm willing to put it away immediately. I "fluff" a lot!
This is me too! Except now I moved out of my parents' house and live in an apartment complex, so I have a problem with this now! I have only had my laundry taken out on me once so far. I think knowing that others, not in my family, have to share the washer and dryer is a motivator for me to keep up with the times and changing it. :p

meadd823
04-02-06, 04:11 PM
laundry crud I knew I forgot some thing!

ADHDSupport
04-03-06, 10:49 AM
See, I can handle th elaundry, its the one thing I almost, dare I say it, love to do because its realtively simply and it feels so good to get it done, liek something accomplished. Its easy, throw it in, turn it on, and voila, clean clothes!! Everything else takes sustained effort, like washing dishes or cleaning off a surface, etc, its on going. Laundry, there are built in "breaks" liek while the machines are running. I used to have washer and dryer in the bathroom so I pretty much always had a load in one or the other. Now we are renovating so until everything is done I am going ot the laundry mat which at first I thought I would hate, now it almost seems easier. I take it there throw them all in machines, so there are like 6 loads going at once, then switch them over and in about 2 hours I have the weeks worth of laundry done all at once, rather than if it were here inthe house, it would be one at a time, see.

-A

notmADD
04-03-06, 11:48 AM
AAAHHH!!! I've gone on and on about the laundry monster on other threads. Oh how it taunts me. I try to hang everything but jammies, that kinda helps.

literati
04-11-06, 10:22 PM
I love this thread, in fact it's one of the main reasons I went to get help, LOL! I was joking with the trainer at my gym that laundry is my nemesis. I will start a load of laundry, only to get distracted by the phone, my cat, a random thought. Next thing you know it's a week later, dear hubby is looking for clean undies and I find the load I started smelling funky in the washer.

The first week I started Adderall I finished 6 loads of laundry from start to finish. They even made it out of the basket and into drawers (that never, ever happens). To top it all off I even ironed :D.

Hubby was tickled pink, just kept saying OMG, OMG for hours...

~boots~
04-11-06, 11:35 PM
I am *crazy*..hehe..I love the challenge of having empty wash baskets...and the challenge of getting it hung out, and dried in the same day..and folded and sorted, and handed out..:D

It's my obsession..(if I haven't already told you a thousand times already LOL..):p

PINKY
04-18-06, 12:58 PM
I bought a big bookshelf and spray painted it all pretty. Then I took a shower rod with the sping in it and hung it one end in the top of the bookshelf, the other end in a cabnet (so it doesnt fall from the weight (like the first time lol) and filled it with hangers. I set the timer on my cell phone and when it goes off I go to the dryer, pull things out one at a time and hang them on the rod by color (color WORKS! My closet is organized for the first time ever by color :eek: amazing!) The folable stuff goes onto the shelves, each person has their own shelf and they are responsible for putting their own clothes away.

I HATE when someone takes the laundry out of the dryer and throws it on the bed! AHHHHH, it winds up on the floor and back into thw wash.

meadd823
04-22-06, 03:37 AM
AAAHHH!!! I've gone on and on about the laundry monster on other threads. Oh how it taunts me. I try to hang everything but jammies, that kinda helps.

The post monster you have written about on other threads;the portions you want to repeate here can be copied and then posted into reply box....no re-typing!

I also hang every thing up except P.J's and underthings! I even hang partners grubbies up in closet! :eek: I think hanging easier to do and easier to find when ready to be worn!

I would rather clean toliets, bathrooms, mop, iron, clean bird cage, weed flower beds etc.. than do laundry. The only thing I would not trade it for is vacuuming the carpet. Most of my downstairs is tile, which is not bad to sweep/mop I don't like laundry or vacuuming.

Deal………we seem to hate opposite things! ;)

Will warn ya I do not have bird cages.. I have cay box! No flower gardens, just dishes and wood floor in kitchen to mop, the bathroom you can have good thing is no “male mess” (if ya know what I mean) only man in home is grown and is “toilet seat trained”!!

That leaves dusting!!!!! :rolleyes:

everyone in the family is always "wearing" a load!!!

I felt this way when I had children at home…..two people do not wear near the clothes six do!!!!

susane
05-24-06, 12:04 PM
No help here I'm afraid. I've got a brand new washer and drier with nice loud buzzers just in the next room, but the laundry is still piled high. :o Laundry is something I've never managed to get a good handle on. Maybe someone one the boards has something useful to offfer. Good luck!

Scattered

I can totally relate...again...I love these boards! I do the same thing, the buzzer goes off and I don't act on it. Right now I am facing the monumental task of cleaning out my laundry room and it is not pretty. :o I could certainly use some tips on how to not let my laundry room become a sea of clothes on the floor.

It kind of goes like this,

I clean the laundry room...all nice and pretty. :)
I do laundry...:)
I put clothes in the dryer...:)
I take clothes out of dryer and put them on top to fold later...:(
I never get around to fold them...:(
Put more clothes on top...:(
They fall on the floor...:(
I need to clean laundry room again...:(
Beat myself up for letting it get that way...:mad:

susane
05-24-06, 12:11 PM
I HATE when someone takes the laundry out of the dryer and throws it on the bed! AHHHHH, it winds up on the floor and back into thw wash.This would happen in my house quite frequently until my daughters got older. Now they do their own wash and put things away promptly...reverse psychology I guess...they don't want to be like mom. :o It is my own laundry I have a problem with.

prettyblonde
05-24-06, 03:00 PM
I absolutely detest laundry. I always forget to take it out of the wash and the next day it smells absolutely terrible. Even when I wash it again it still doesn't smell quite right.

On the lucky chance that I remembered to take it out of the washer and put it in the dryer, it forms a wrinkled lump on top of the dryer once it is removed.

Did I mention that I hate laundry?

susane
05-24-06, 08:43 PM
I absolutely detest laundry. I always forget to take it out of the wash and the next day it smells absolutely terrible. Even when I wash it again it still doesn't smell quite right.

On the lucky chance that I remembered to take it out of the washer and put it in the dryer, it forms a wrinkled lump on top of the dryer once it is removed.

Did I mention that I hate laundry?
Yep, exactly...especially the wrinkled lump part...except mine end up on the floor eventually.

ms_sunshine
05-24-06, 09:01 PM
One me, four kids, plus all the sheets, towels, etc...equals way too much laundry. I used to be completely overwhelmed by the laundry. It was bad. I have a routine that works for me now, though. Every morning, I get up an hour before the kids have to be awake. I put in one load of laundry. When I wake up the kids, I switch that load over, and I put in another one. When we get home, we bring up that dry load, switch over the one from the wash, and put in one more load. Depending upon how awake I am at night (ha ha) I'll either finish that load (or two) OR I'll just finish the stuff in the dryer, start one more load in the washer, but head off to bed before it's done. Then the load gets put into the dryer the next morning, as the routine starts all over again.

It's far less overwhelming this way, and it doesn't stack up on me. Also, it's really REALLY important that I follow through on the load from the dryer completely. That, for me, was the hardest part. I have had to literally yell at myself, "omg would you just walk the extra few feet and put it away....NO, not on top of the dresser...not on the FLOOR, IN THE DRESSER. do it. NOW." It's pathetic, I know, but hey...whatever works. :eyebrow: The kids no longer raise their eyebrows at me, but the neighbors probably still wonder.

The beauty is that the laundry is always done, the kids and I know where our clothing is, and we're able to pick out our things the night before. This makes for much smoother mornings. Also, if it's a morning where one of us says, "oh I don't want to wear that anymore," it can be put back and quickly replaced by what we are in the mood for in the am, bc chances are good that outfit is going to be ready to go, too.

boardtabitz
05-28-06, 10:36 PM
I can wash 'em. I can dry 'em. It's the getting them folded and put away that I fail at.
When I pull clothes from the dryer, I put them in baskets and pile the baskets on my dining room table so I'll HAVE to fold them and put them away.
That was the original thought anyway...
Instead, now my dining room table is now always covered in clothes.
And you can see my dining room from my front door. Reeeal nifty.
Folding and putting away clothes is like that for me. Seems like it will take hours to do.I'll tell what else doesn't work. Having them on your bed. The clean stuff will get so high in the laundry room that it is in danger of crossing over to the dirty side of the room. I'll tell the kids to start hauling it up and dump it on my bed - with the idea that I have to fold it and put it away in order to go to bed. Well I might manage to get it all folded but that putting it away thing - ha. I have found that if you are tired enough you really don't need that much space to sleep.

boardtabitz
05-28-06, 10:38 PM
Has anyone else ever done this? I'll be doing laundry and finally remember to do the transfer from the washer to the dryer. Only to discover the lid open and it full of water but apparently I walked off without putting in clothes in it.

Maybe that is just getting old on top of the ADD.

susane
05-30-06, 11:57 AM
Has anyone else ever done this? I'll be doing laundry and finally remember to do the transfer from the washer to the dryer. Only to discover the lid open and it full of water but apparently I walked off without putting in clothes in it.

Maybe that is just getting old on top of the ADD.
Yes....many many many times! It is absolutely frustrating...especially when I am working on a timeline and I need the laundry sitting in the machine. Such a vicious cycle at times. Do laundry because you need it for the weekend...need to be out of the house at a certain time...laundry not finished....I'm late! :mad: at myself.

meadd823
06-06-06, 02:55 AM
I always forget to take it out of the wash and the next day it smells absolutely terrible. Even when I wash it again it still doesn't smell quite right.

Have own washer a half a cup to ¾ cup of white vinegar to regular size wash load…..it will smell like a salad while washing after the wash cycle let it rinse. What little left over vinegar smell will disappear …..and I hang my clothes out on the line the smell is always gone…..dryer I do not own but I would use dryer sheet……maybe start out on air only until smell dies down then add the heat !

I walked off without putting in clothes in it.

No but since I do not have a dryer and I will never remember to do the fabric softener during the rinse cycle I use one of those Downy balls that pops open with the spin between the wash cycle and the rinse ….the softener will release itself when the machine fills to rinse…...well I have filed that up and set it a side until I get clothes in the washer then I walk off leaving the Downy ball with softer next to the washer as it never made it in….I have gone out to the clothes line carrying only my clothes pins because I forgot the basket of clothes or vise versa and I stand there knowing some thing is wrong but it takes me a few minutes to figure out what………I feel like such a brain surgeon when I do those things……. :faint:

LENNOX LEWIS
06-06-06, 03:33 AM
yeah I always stall out like twice a year...lol

bbduck1
06-06-06, 07:29 AM
Here's my laundry solution....it's just part of my wake-up routine. I get out of bed, walk down the hall to my son's room to make sure he's moving, and turn the dryer on to tumble the wrinkles out of the load that's in it (my laundry room is right next to my son's room). Then I come back to my room to make the bed and use the bathroom. I grab a dirty load of laundry and take it to the laundry room. I take the dryer clothes out and hang or fold them as they come out of the dryer, move the wet load to the dryer, and start the new load. I move a load like this EVERY morning. The load in the washer only sits there for one day, I'm never overrun with clean clothes sitting in baskets or piles all over the house, and I never have to spend a whole day doing nothing bu laundry. I do darks, lights, whites (bleach), jeans, sheets, towels, and delicate or tricky things all separately. Works for me...but you have to make it part of your routine or you'll find stinky things in the washer one day!

boardtabitz
06-06-06, 11:39 PM
Here's my laundry solution....it's just part of my wake-up routine. I get out of bed, walk down the hall to my son's room to make sure he's moving, and turn the dryer on to tumble the wrinkles out of the load that's in it (my laundry room is right next to my son's room). Then I come back to my room to make the bed and use the bathroom. I grab a dirty load of laundry and take it to the laundry room. I take the dryer clothes out and hang or fold them as they come out of the dryer, move the wet load to the dryer, and start the new load. I move a load like this EVERY morning. The load in the washer only sits there for one day, I'm never overrun with clean clothes sitting in baskets or piles all over the house, and I never have to spend a whole day doing nothing bu laundry. I do darks, lights, whites (bleach), jeans, sheets, towels, and delicate or tricky things all separately. Works for me...but you have to make it part of your routine or you'll find stinky things in the washer one day!
Who let my mother on this forum?:p

ADDictedToInfo
10-01-07, 04:07 AM
I've so found my home on this community. (Just diagnosed last Thursday). I'm the Queen about forgetting laundry in the washing machine. DH (non ADD) doesn't understand how I can do it. My poor kiddos have had funky smelling clothes that I don't realize smell bad until they've worn them long enough to "warm up". Ugh.

Before being diagnosed I Googled the heck out of getting rid of the "Funk of Forgotten Laundry" as I call it. I discovered the white vinegar trick--it works very well. So does adding 3/4 cup plain baking soda with your detergent. Also, the Febreze laundry odor eliminator is good, but pricey compared to the previous two (but it is especially good on pet smells, too). And plain old Borax added with the soap, a full measuring cup (that comes in the box) seems to boost all of the above. Can you tell I "hyperfocused" on this? LOL

On the worst loads, I've used ALL of the above and had no adverse reaction and never smelled it again. (Anyone ever have your "clean" bath towels, once wet as you dry off, transfer the Funk back onto a clean body? OMG, the worst!)

KittenPoker
10-01-07, 06:59 AM
You know, I'm still waiting for the Laundry Fairy to arrive at my house!

Srsly, right now it's not too terrible. There are stacks of folded, clean laundry on the stairs. Is it mine? Nope! Mine's put away. Little Dude's laundry is put away (part of his allowance agreement). But Mr. KP? Please! All his crap is on the stairs. I'll wash and fold but I'll be darned if I put it away.

Um, passive-agressive much? Ha!

If I don't pull the fresh stuff out of the dryer it'll get all wrinkly. I try to fold as it comes out. Otherwise Mount Laundry will erupt in the living room. Sigh.

ADDictedToInfo
10-02-07, 03:56 PM
If that Laundry Fairy ever does arrive, send her my way when she's done, 'K?

I'm on my 3rd day of Strattera and I am actually remembering to cycle the loads, so this is a good thing. Now if it could just get put away--I have 10 laundry baskets, which gives me way too many to pile it in. If I get rid of, or re-purpose, half of them maybe it will get me to put the clothes away!

(BTW, KittenPoker, love your username. I'm asuming you're a Buffy fan, too). ;)

At Heart
10-02-07, 04:17 PM
Sometimes I wish that the laundry fairy would visit my house. Unfortunately, if she put things away, we would probably never find them again.

Honeybunnie8
11-09-07, 07:06 PM
My husband had a fairy at his house before we got married, she did'nt move with him unfortunatly.
I use the drier as a closet. My hubby knows where to find the cloths, in the drier. Or on the living room floor. The floor is where they are suppose to get folded and put on hangers, but really now its a closet in its self. Our closet is mostly empty with lots of hangers....I really want a maid (sigh)

meadd823
11-10-07, 03:53 AM
disposable clothes any one?

Matt S.
11-10-07, 12:53 PM
If that Laundry Fairy ever does arrive, send her my way when she's done, 'K?

I'm on my 3rd day of Strattera and I am actually remembering to cycle the loads, so this is a good thing. Now if it could just get put away--I have 10 laundry baskets, which gives me way too many to pile it in. If I get rid of, or re-purpose, half of them maybe it will get me to put the clothes away!

(BTW, KittenPoker, love your username. I'm asuming you're a Buffy fan, too). ;)
I need a laundry fairy...

KittenPoker
11-10-07, 03:48 PM
Stupid Laundry Fairy never showed. the tallest peak in SE VA is currently Mount Laundry, situated in beautiful KP's house. Topping this magnificent mountain are twin peaks of a child's jacket (size 7) and a yellow/green dishtowel. If you excavate through the layers you'll see the evolution of Mount Laundry, all the sedimentary rocks formations. The basis for this stunning geological masterpiece is a set of folded (!) king size sheets that never made their way to the linen closet.

Excavation is planned to start shortly but I'm afraid I'm waiting on permits to tear the sucker down. Pretty soon, if I'm not careful, the new peak will be topped with underpants, socks, and a sports bra.

Skully
11-15-07, 07:23 PM
I am really bad with laundry! I will wash it, put it in the dryer and it stays there all week. Each morning I will turn the dryer on for 10mins to get the wrinkles out and pull out what I am going to wear to work that day. It is a horrible habbit but one I can't break.