View Full Version : Attention Deficit in the Elementary School Classroom: Presenting Your Lessons

Andrew
12-22-05, 09:49 PM
From ADDinSchool.com

- Elementary School students with ADHD are easily bored, even by you.

- Here are several ideas to help ADHD students pay attention to the right thing at the right time.

==============

Presenting Your Lesson to ADHD Students in Elementary School

Use peer tutoring whenever possible with Attention Deficit students. Older children to help him, and perhaps allowing the ADD ADHD student to tutor a younger child.

Provide an outline to ADHD students with key concepts or vocabulary prior to lesson presentation.

ADHD kids are easily bored, even by you. Try to increase the pace of lesson presentation. Include a variety of activities during each lesson appropriate to elementary school.

Use multisensory presentations, but be careful with audio-visual aids to be sure that distractions are kept to a minimum. For example, be sure interesting pictures and or sounds relate directly to the material to be learned.

Make lessons brief or break longer presentations into discrete segments.

Actively involve the attention deficit student during the lesson presentation. Have the elementary school age ADHD student be the instructional aid who is to write key words or ideas on the board.

Encourage the ADD ADHD students to develop mental images of the concepts or information being presented. Ask them about their images to be sure they are visualizing the key material to be learned.

Allow your elementary school students to make frequent responses throughout the lesson by using choral responding, frequently calling on many individuals, having the class respond with hand signals.

Try role-playing activities to act out key concepts, historical events, etc. I have taught ADD ADHD students the history of the Revolutionary War in the parking lot of the school, using cars, trees, and other objects to represent events and places in history. This can work well.

Be creative! Yes, it is possible for even you to bore a student. Work at teaching, motivating, and entertaining. The more exciting a subject is to a child, the better he will learn. Be excited about what you are teaching!

A small student to teacher ratio enables an increased amount of feedback during prime times of difficulty. Attempt to involve parent volunteers, para-professionals, or support staff in this capacity.

ADHD Students are Easily Bored...

Your attention deficit student will respond better to situations that he finds stimulating and engaging. Varying the instructional medium and pace will help sustain his interest.

Your ADD ADHD elementary school aged student would probably find lessons that emphasize "hands-on" activities highly engaging.

Keeping the time required for sustained attention on task balanced with more active learning will improve his performance.

Use cooperative learning activities, particularly those that assign each child in a group a specific role or piece of information that must be shared with the group.

Develop learning stations and clear signals and procedures for how students transition from one center to another.

Use game-like activities, such as "dictionary scavenger hunts," to teach appropriate use of reference/resource materials.

Interact frequently (verbally and physically) with your attention deficit student. Use the ADD ADHD student's name in your lesson presentation. Write personal notes to the student about key elements of the lesson.

Pair students to check work.

Provide peer tutoring to help ADD ADHD student's review concepts. Let ADHD students share recently learned concepts with struggling peer.

When presenting a large volume of information on the chalkboard, use colored chalk to emphasize key words or information.

Changes in instructor's voice level and variation in word-pacing will also increase his attention during instruction.

Make sure that your Attention Deficit elementary school student establishes eye contact when receiving direction/instruction. This will improve his understanding and follow-through on the task.

Your ADD ADHD student will be more successful when given directions one step at a time. When a series of instructions are given, retention beyond the first direction is difficult.

Combine verbal directions with illustrations or demonstrations of the desired task.

The use of multiple modes of instruction increases the probability of successful learning of the task.

After giving your attention deficit student directions, have him paraphrase what the teacher has said. This will increase his comprehension and provide an opportunity to check for understanding.

Your ADD ADHD student may tend to want to be "the first one done" on assignments. Set reasonable accuracy goals with him and collect the entire group's work at once to reduce time pressures.

Source and links to resources: http://add.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=add&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.addinschool.com%2Felementary%2 Flessons.htm

scuro
12-22-05, 10:27 PM
Elementary School students with ADHD are easily bored, even by you.
I love that line.... :p

ADDitives
12-23-05, 08:29 AM
I love that line.... :p
me too :D

Old School MBD
03-30-09, 11:46 PM
I remember my teacher going over thae same things over and over and over.

I get bored the third time you tell me that 2+2=4 and my mind wanders

I got it first time lady!!!

2+2=4......whats next!

addfrog
07-19-09, 04:53 PM
Elementary School students with ADHD are easily bored, even by you.

So, not true! Since I have ADD, we transition often and my students are not bored!!!

Werl56
05-24-10, 07:35 PM
I think that we can all have bored students sometimes. Some of the curriculum I have to teach is just plain boring!

qanda
05-24-10, 11:44 PM
As a teacher, I bet "boring" your students might be more common today, being that teachers must compete with TV and the Wii. School seems so much more entertaining than when I went, but it also seems that kids are super challenged being that my daughter is learning in 3rd grade what I learned in 4th. For me what seems to be missing today is the opportunity to run around like crazy a couple times a day to get your energy out, especially for middle schoolers. Those with ADHD might be better able to answer the question: "Does exercising before getting to some serious school work help you to concentrate?"

marie-johanne
06-02-10, 06:19 PM
When I was in Quebec, we always had two recesses and a 45 minute lunch. Now it's down to 1 recess and a brief 30 minute lunch. Hello?! Where's the unwind time?!

marie-johanne
06-02-10, 06:21 PM
I remember my teacher going over thae same things over and over and over.

I get bored the third time you tell me that 2+2=4 and my mind wanders

I got it first time lady!!!

2+2=4......whats next!

I remember asking the same thing over and over and over again...and getting exactly the same answer...over and over and over again. someone, somewhere, should have said, "wait a minute- let me see if you get it THIS way". But Noooooo.

embrodak
07-19-10, 09:27 PM
Dude, we did fractions for like three years straight. No wonder nobody knew I was ADHD. I just thought I was bored to tears because the pace was so slow. It helps if the school has a program for gifted children that is taken seriously. The one I was in was basically one lesson ahead of the regular class, which really made no difference in the end. Also, recess helped a lot, as did switching topics often. It is really hard for me to stay on one topic for more than 20, 30 minutes, but there's a burst of concentration for each new topic, which is typical as far as I can tell.

Sugar8
01-17-13, 12:34 AM
I think people may think I'm crazy, but when presenting information on the whiteboard for students with ADHD and Autism, I think handouts are appropriate-- handouts with key terms/words information.

I teach 4-6 year olds, and yes, when we do an activity with whiteboard, if it's a song either the words on on the board so I can point to them as we sing along, or they have a hand out or something to do with their hands.

The other teacher I work with thought it was confusing-- to her- -but the kids each one has what they like to do that helps them attend, or helps meet their learning goals.

Remember there is some distance between the board and the student's seats, even if it is only 2 feet, that's 2 feet for them to scan and be distracted by other things-- that's why copying from the board can be difficult or figuring out what they are supposed to be paying attention to on the board can be hard.

SquarePeg
01-17-13, 03:57 AM
I teach English to Spanish kids aged 5 to 18. I am not employed directly by a school and, thus, am free to choose the way I present lessons.

The younger kids especially love songs with actions, itīs much easier to remember vocab when singing. We also play a lot of games.

One way in which both my adhd kids remember stuff is to teach/tell it to another person. Sometimes they just tell me, and I ask a lot of questions. They get excited when they think they are teaching me something. I think there has been a lot of research into this. any info that you use in a real life situation is more likely to stick.

Students at school love helping each other out.
I also try to make lessons relevant, using young culture (thank goodness I have teenagers or I would be clueless).