View Full Version : Homeschoolers

EYEFORGOT
12-26-05, 11:32 AM
I'm an ADD Mom homeschooling three sons. My 6 y.o. has signs of ADD but I haven't had him formally diagnosed.

Just thought a thread of support and tips for home schoolers would be helpful. Anyone out there?

My N repeated kindergarten this year, he simply wasn't ready for first grade. He's doing much better now, reading and writing is significantly improved.

I have a very relaxed approach at home. My oldest reads extremely well and N will listen attentively while his brother reads to him. Sometimes I think there are more obstacles to him being a middle child than having ADD.

What's been working for you?

(and just in case the subject comes up: I value the input of teachers in public and private schools as well. In no way do I want anything said in here that would insult or put down their work. I have chosen home schooling for my own, numerous reasons and will utilize as many resources as I can.)

ms_sunshine
12-27-05, 11:33 AM
:D that's bc you're a teacher, Eye. The good ones know that ideas are everywhere, and borrowing of these ideas is what makes us better (note that didn't read betterest-haha) educators.

I was interested in knowing how you set up your day with your students. Are classes given for the same amount of time every day? Do you have to follow state guidelines for education? I have tons of questions like this for you...I hope you don't mind.

EYEFORGOT
12-27-05, 09:51 PM
I don't mind at all. (betterest isn't a word? I'll have to remember that one, thanks for the heads up.)

The laws for home schooling vary from state to state and county to county. Where religious exemption is an option then there are no tests and no guidelines. The guidelines are what the family sets for their children.

As many different moms and children that are involved in home schooling so are the many different ways that your school day can be set up. Some follow strict, regimented days, others swing the pendulum the other way and "unschool" their children, then there's the many diverse styles in between.

I'm in between somewhere. In my county I need to file a letter of intent stating how I will fulfill the state standards of learning for each of my children's grade levels. By August 1st I must show them the results of a standardized test score (I use the California Achievement Test, because it's affordable and I can administer it myself) or a portfolio of my child's work. I can have someone else test my child (their credentials are also specified based on your county and state), but I haven't gone this route.

I'm relaxed in my teaching. I prefer as much hands-on, practical, interest-based lessons as I can get. The only time lessons are "scheduled" is when it's a paid activity outside of the home, such as gymnastics, guitar or science club. One day a week we meet with a friend, she teaches Spanish and then I teach Sign Language.

I try not to neglect math so we sit on the couch every day with our textbook and workbook and I go over the lesson, he does the excercises and then we correct together the ones he missed. I count Sorry, Monopoly Jr. and Pumpkin Patch Bingo as math lessons, too.

Any nice morning is spent in Phys. Ed. (play out in the backyard). MadLibs counts towards Language Arts/Grammar. I haven't had to do any "required reading" with them. So far their book interests are diverse and I can usually get more lessons out of one book than just reading time. (Harry Potter books lead to arts and crafts and mythology; Tom Sawyer led to some history, especially social issues regarding predjudice and black history in particular, you get the idea). They love science and know loads just from their own self-directed interests.

They're still young and play time is still at the top of the list. Soon enough I'll have to become more disciplined. My oldest has tested well and is ahead in reading by several grades, so so far it's working well for everyone. I will meet my children where they're at. If I truly feel I am not meeting their educational needs than I will reevaluate what and how I'm doing.

Did I answer your question? I tend to talk lots about my school days because I like them so much. (though I'm not beyond kavetching about them either)

ms_sunshine
12-28-05, 04:27 AM
...I want to come to your class. (except during the math lesson...um, I have an appointment elsewhere whenever that is going to be.)

And while you've answered my questions, I now have several hundred more. Aren't you glad you started this thread? LOL I'll have to put them in some semblance of order and then post them.

campinMom
12-28-05, 08:24 AM
We'll be starting soon - please keep the questions and answers going here. Thank you!

EYEFORGOT
12-28-05, 11:07 AM
mssunshine: Very glad I started it. Next question?

campinMom: Here's some links:
http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/regional/Illinois.htm

On the same page is a book advertisement "Home Learning Year by Year". I love this book, and I'm sure you'll find it cheap on half.com or amazon. It's ambitious, but just tailor it to meet your child's needs, don't go crazy when you look at it.

Are your children little, or are you taking them out of public/private school to teach them at home?

When starting home schooling you read so much it makes you think that the only people doing this are Type A personalities with more energy than a rocket ship on lift-off. Maybe you are that type of person. I'm not. No matter what you dive into remember, you don't have to do all of it, you don't have to keep up with anybody except your kid. Just look at each item (and no you don't need every book, aid, or curriculum) and ask yourself if you think your child will truly find it useful and helpful. You don't have to spend a fortune...then again, there's plenty out there to spend a fortune on. I guess my first advice to you is: relax. It'll all come together. You really will know what's good for your family by trial and error.