View Full Version : Can you take more than 1 ER tablet per day?

Cat04
12-30-05, 09:37 AM
I am on 20 mg Methylin ER & it only seems to work for about 4 hours. I am going back to the dr. next week, but I am wanting to experiment with my meds before I go back. I want to take another tablet later in the day & see if it helps anything.
Can you take 2 ER tablets in one day? How long should I wait between doses? :)

buffalopc7
01-03-06, 01:34 PM
I am on 20 mg Methylin ER & it only seems to work for about 4 hours. I am going back to the dr. next week, but I am wanting to experiment with my meds before I go back. I want to take another tablet later in the day & see if it helps anything.
Can you take 2 ER tablets in one day? How long should I wait between doses? :)
Apparently, you can. After a long discussion with my Dr today, we decided that since one 20mg is working but only for about 4 hours, that I can now try taking it twice a day (2- 20mg tabs). Her hesitation was that her PDR said the tablets should be taken 8 hours apart. I explained that I have heard instances (mostly on this board) where individuals will take 2 or more ER tabs, less than 8 hours apart (i've heard 5 and 6 hours apart) and that the dosage (40mg) would still not match the maximum dosage recommended for an entire day (60mg). She agreed, and I will now be taking it again around 2pm or so (about 6 hours after my first dose). The problem with 8 hours isn't simply that the stuff wears off too quickly, its also possible that it would interfere with sleeping if taken too late, for some (myself included).

simbryo
08-19-06, 01:37 AM
i took methylin ER for a few months and hated it. it didn't last long nor did it seem to have as good of effects as the same amount of immediate release methyphenidate split into two doses. i was perscribed 20mg methylin ER once or twice day. i know take adderall 5-10 mg immediate release adderal once or twice a day and find that even one 10mg immediate release adderall lasts longer than the 20mg methylin ER did. the experience of the methyin ER/ritalin SR not lasting anywhere near 8 hours is very common; almost universal, actually.

i've talked to several psychiatrist about this methyline ER formulation (it's the same as ritalin sr) and also done some of my own research (i'm a medical student) and the truth is it's really a suboptimal delivery system. it even says so in the pdr. it's a waxy matrix that releases the drug slowly, at the same pace, for the duration of the pill (which varies based on many things). much research shows that stimulants work better when you get a larger dose followed by another larger dose several hours later. the slow release of a constant amount of stimulant just doesn't work well.

the phenomenon you describe is common with patients who try the methylin ER or ritalin SR. in fact, my psychiatrist offered it to me to try, but warned that likely would not be happy with the results. i did try it because i was interested in a once a day dosing option at the time, but was definately unhappy with it. i only stayed on the med for a month an a half. in fact, before i even finished my first prescription i had switched back to the immediate release ritalin.

it's just not a good delivery system. it is cheap, but so is immediate release ritalin. numerous studies have shown that the immediate release ritalin dosed 2 or 3 times a day is superior to the wax-matrix slow release version.

so here's my advice. but please just take this as a friendly recomendation and nothing more. if you are truly interested in once a day dosing, you do will with methyphenidate and cost isn't a big consideration, try concerta. if you don't care about once a day dosing and want to stay with methyphenidate, go to 2 or 3 a day dosing with immediate release ritalin. if you'd like something that is an intermediate between methylin ER and concerta (in terms of lenth of action) consider trying immediate adderall. for most people it works for 5-6 hours for a single dose. obviously the adderall xr works longer (8-10 for most people).

good luck!