View Full Version : Does being tired make senory stimuli worse?

wheresmykeys
12-31-05, 12:09 AM
Do you find that being tired or even just a little bit stressed makes your irritability for sensory stimuli 10 times worse?

I am overtired and a little bit stressed probably due to lack of sleep, and I find that my reactions towards touch, sound, smell, etc are all So much worse than when I'm not tired. This is probably run of the mill, but I'm just wondering what other people have to say about their experiences

speedo
12-31-05, 12:22 AM
Yes. Stress and fatigue are factors. They leave me more susceptible to sensory problems.
It is not so much that they make it worse. Tired or not I have sensory issues, but sensory input causes stress, and and stress can lead to anxiety.

Anxiety seems to make me "turn on" to sensory events, which creates more stress and leads to more anxiety. It can go from mild to crisis proportions very rapidly. Managing my stress and anxiety helps minimize problems.... and is probably the only approach I can take since I can't make the world go away, and I can't shut off my senses.

ME :D

barbyma
12-31-05, 12:31 AM
I don't normally have sensory issues, but if I'm tired or sick LOOK OUT!

Ever have the flu and can't stand to be touched? I feel that way when I'm irritable, too.

speedo
12-31-05, 12:34 AM
Barbyma;

MAybe you are a little sensory defensive ?

fasttalkingmom
12-31-05, 12:35 AM
Do you find that being tired or even just a little bit stressed makes your irritability for sensory stimuli 10 times worse?

I am overtired and a little bit stressed probably due to lack of sleep, and I find that my reactions towards touch, sound, smell, etc are all So much worse than when I'm not tired. This is probably run of the mill, but I'm just wondering what other people have to say about their experiences

Oh yeah, how do you explain your behavor to others? I've tried to say I'm sorry, I'm over tired. By the time you've bite everyone heads off or acted out in a bad way they could careless ! :o

fasttalkingmom
12-31-05, 12:37 AM
I don't normally have sensory issues, but if I'm tired or sick LOOK OUT!

Ever have the flu and can't stand to be touched? I feel that way when I'm irritable, too.

Same here

Imnapl
12-31-05, 12:39 AM
I get irritable when I have sensory issues; especially when I am tired or ill.

speedo
12-31-05, 12:42 AM
Yes, I will sometimes get irritable. Typically because I am overwhelmed and stressed. If it gets worse I am in serious discomfort and have to withdraw. For me this means removing myself from the situation and finding a nice comfy place in which to recover.

barbyma
12-31-05, 12:45 AM
Barbyma;

MAybe you are a little sensory defensive ?

Yeah, but only about certain things.

The bad part is that my DH has an OCD tendency (no disorder, but a few controllable tendencies) to touch me every time he passes me! It's so irritating!!!

speedo
12-31-05, 01:03 AM
Well, for me, sound dominates. It can be overwhelming, painful and disorienting.
Other senses kick in sometimes. It is only one sense at a time that bothers me.
I have never been sensitive to sound and touch at the same time.

My sense of touch can turn on very suddenly. If I have been overloaded for a while my skin literally feels like ants are crawling all over me. It is not painf ful, but not much fun, either. I don't like being touched by most people and I definitely don't like certain clothes. At times, I can find the textures of some things to be very pleasant.

I am usually midly sensitive to bright lights, or flashing lights, and visually "busy" scenes are a bit disturbing whern I am stressed. I can usually gauge my sensory load by how much bright lights annoy me.

Once in a while I experience overly sensitive sense of scent, but not very often. I rarely have hypersensitive taste. I usually find that when I start having moments of briefly hypersensitive sense of smell as my cue that I am approaching an overload and that I need to manage my sensory load more carefully.

I know all of this sounds horrid, but it is not so bad most of the time, but I am describing all the details of it all at it's worst.

Yeah, but only about certain things.

The bad part is that my DH has an OCD tendency (no disorder, but a few controllable tendencies) to touch me every time he passes me! It's so irritating!!!

Crazygirl79
01-03-06, 09:47 PM
I can relate to this.....I thought it was just me...lol

speedo
01-04-06, 12:05 AM
It is not just you. It seems to be fairly common to ADD, bipolar, AS, etc...

I have read that 20% of adders have sensory issues of some kind.

mctavish23
01-04-06, 12:33 AM
Yes, it certainly could.

I have a severe sensory problem+motor coordination problem and have been thru Occupational Therapy (OT) twice as an adult.

Being tired doesn't always make it worse.

There are just some days when I wake up and my head feels like its "buzzing," which is the best way I can describe it.

On those days, I probably need to stay home.