View Full Version : 43 and ADD

sissy
01-06-06, 12:30 AM
I was told by a new doctor today that I was too old to take Adderall or any stimulant. I have in the past and it worked great. He has put me on Cymbalta.
The doctor I use to use moved. Has anyone been told this?

speedo
01-06-06, 12:34 AM
I am 52 and my doc suggested ritalin, but I declined because I was not formally diagnosed and wanted to wait on a DX before changing my meds around.

ME :D

I was told by a new doctor today that I was too old to take Adderall or any stimulant. I have in the past and it worked great. He has put me on Cymbalta.
The doctor I use to use moved. Has anyone been told this?

barbyma
01-06-06, 12:52 AM
I would run screaming from this doc. Unless you have a heart condition or some other problem to consider, age shouldn't be an issue.

The reason I'd run screaming is that I would lose trust in someone who gave me such incorrect info about something he's supposed to be an expert on.

sissy
01-06-06, 12:59 AM
I have some family members that have heart trouble. I took in all of this info I had collected and made notes on my whole life and he did not even look at them. Said pretty much that this drug would help and more or less implied that I was depressed. No joke! He only prescribes Strattera to adults. I have take that, matter of fact I gave it 2 chances and I still could not tell the difference either time. Just because stimulants work does not mean we want them to abuse, maybe just lead a somewhat normal life.

SnappyCloud
01-06-06, 01:36 AM
Find another doctor!

barbyma
01-06-06, 02:05 AM
Were you diagnosed by a different doc? If so, did that doc prescribe Adderall?

If you went to him seeking a diagnosis, I'd get a second opinion, but give him the benefit of the doubt in the meantime. (Even though he's wrong about adults and stimulants). Sometimes objective eyes see more than you can about yourself. My first diagnosis of clinical depression was a complete surprise to me....

If you went to him WITH a diagnosis, he's incompetent (IMO).

If you went to hime with a diagnosis and a history of successful treatment with a stimulant, he's worse than incompetent. (IMO)

meadd823
01-12-06, 07:35 AM
I have some family members that have heart trouble. I took in all of this info I had collected and made notes on my whole life and he did not even look at them.

Did those note include any medical records of yours, especially those that showed your previous ADD diagnosis and treatment???

He may not be overly interested in family history even through he should be....some what interested depending on your health and age.

Said pretty much that this drug would help and more or less implied that I was depressed. No joke!

This may have been true especially AFTER the appointment...chances increase drastically if you had to actually pay for this incompetence!

He only prescribes Strattera to adults.

Sounds like he has little information about ADD. He may not know ADD from rectal polyps (opposite end of body)

I have take that, matter of fact I gave it 2 chances and I still could not tell the difference either time.

This Stratta has to be take for several weeks to reach a "blood level" to be effective. It works kind of like antidepressants!!!!

Just because stimulants work does not mean we want them to abuse, maybe just lead a somewhat normal life.

I would NOT walk but run to another doctor......mark him off your list of health care professionals!!!!

This guy not only doesn't know squat about ADD..he won't even admit it. I can handle the fact a doctor can't possibly know every thing about every condition. What I can't handle is the failure to be professional enough to admit it and provide some clue as to where I could find some one who has !

I am so lucky to have a wonderful doc to treat my ADD!!!! Wish you from Texas!!!

jane59
09-16-06, 09:07 PM
59 years old and I was just diagnosed ( finally) and am on adderall ( was on concerta but had stomach problems from it ) so far so good I have been on it a month. Dr was concerned about blood pressure but mine has not been affected still the same as before I went on adderall. ( my blood pressure has always been normal) could be that he is looking at your general health or if you have any other medical problems.. Try another Doctor who specializes in ADD.