View Full Version : Hangers, Hangers and more hangers...........

minn306
01-13-06, 08:47 PM
I am looking for some creative ideas on what to do with all these hangers that are taking over my laundry room. Since the laundry room is in our basement, it is just easier to have the hangers down there so I can hang up clothes right away from the dryer. Right now I just have the the hangers in a laundry basket but that is over flowing. YES, I do end up using all the hangers so I am not looking to throw them out.
I bought one of those bags with the zippers that you put in the washer, to put my clothes pins in. Boy was I impressed with myself for thinking of that idea all by myself :D

Please please please help me with the invasion of the hangers!!!!!!

QueensU_girl
01-26-06, 12:47 AM
Give them to a thrift shop, or charity. Maybe a church could use them for hanging winter coats.

Emma

Nucking_Futs
01-26-06, 08:30 AM
I hung a shower rod over my washer and drier for hangers that weren't in use at the moment, keeps them handy and untangled.

minn306
01-26-06, 08:48 AM
Give them to a thrift shop, or charity. Maybe a church could use them for hanging winter coats.

Emma
This is a great idea except, like I said we use the hangers. We are a family of 5 so we have lots of clothes.

minn306
01-26-06, 08:48 AM
I hung a shower rod over my washer and drier for hangers that weren't in use at the moment, keeps them handy and untangled.
You are just so smart!!! Do you want to come do my laundry for me too?????

Nucking_Futs
01-26-06, 08:50 AM
I don't want to do my laundry let alone yours.

When do girls get out of the "fashion model" stage? tell me its soon.

EYEFORGOT
01-26-06, 11:21 AM
My girlfriend has a very small laundry room so she put a rod in a corner to hang things up, doesn't take up much space. Just right for the hangers.

meadd823
01-27-06, 05:29 AM
When do girls get out of the "fashion model" stage? tell me its soon.

As soon as they have to wash their own clothes....I was amazed at how fast the concept of wearing the same out-fit all day occurred when washing, drying and putting away became their responsibility!

Minn....when I have a lot of hangers rattling about I use one of those plastic grocery bags with the little handle holes. I take the handle hole and put it around the hook part of the hanger then tie the remainder of the baggie around the bottom straight part of the hanger with one over hand knot...make knot tight enough to hold hangers together but not so tight that it will be hard to untie!!! I do not have the room for rods because my wash area is in the main hall way!!!

neroballerino
02-21-06, 11:31 PM
Interesting question. I just bought a huge pack of hangers. Seeing that I live in a dorm, i don't really want to put my clothes all over the floor so i started hanging the things up that i wear allot. For the ones that i have yet to find something to do with, they're just hangin' there in the closet. lonely and bare.

meadd823
03-02-06, 09:30 AM
I find hang clothes up faster and more efficient than folding a putting in drawers!!!!

Mostly I use my drawers for under-things, night things, and shorts that are too short to hang up!!!!

~boots~
03-03-06, 12:55 AM
Someone once told me pegs are just baby stage of coat hangers! The pegs dissappear and blossom into coathangers, as coat hangers always seem to multiply :-)

Made sence to me!
LOL

f_wcomboadhd
03-03-06, 02:57 PM
ok guys i'm into organization (yes yes, i still have adhd and i still have to conquire the overwhelmies)
but i love to try to find better ways of doing things.
have you guys seen the hanger stand/units? i know they sell them through the container store here in the united states.
you can go online and see it..its called like 'hangar form' or something rather
all it is is a 'form' or whatever/stand that you can just put the hangers on and then grab them when you need it..all neat and nice.
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=64331&PRODID=10012120

ADDitives
03-04-06, 04:31 AM
i just keep mine in the cupboard separate from all the other clothes, hanging up.

often i will lose them all because i just take clothes straight off the hanger and leave it in there, and i go through and find them all between the clothes./

a fw months ago we had a hanger shortage so i looked in my mum's walk in robe, and i found 25 coathangers in there unused. i brought them downstairs and showed everyone and i said "your cupboard must be where all the coathangers go for a holiday!"

when i have my own house, i think i will just keep the hangers in the cupboard like i do now.

i hang most of my clothes up, and like someone else said, i only use my drawers for underwear, pyjamas, socks, and stuff i wear at home only such as old tshirts. i also have my bottom drawer for swimming stuff and beach stuff.

i dont like those clippy pants/skirt hangers so i usually just end up folding them all over a regular coat hanger, its much easy to get it in and out that way.

speaking of washing, i put on one load of clothes when i got home from work today/. i then took that out and put in towels. it was too hot, i decided, to go outside to hang them out just yet. the towels are still spinning.... i'll have to hang them all out soon/.

then i have 2 garments to handwash; a black shirt for work that cant go in the machine because it gets white fluffy stuff all over it, and a skirt that i need to wear tomorrow for james' sister's graduation that i got invited to at the last minute.

edit/p.s.... i just looked at that container store website, i LIKE that idea of the stand for the hangers.

there's what the thread starter should do with her hangers, and THAT is something i would like to have in my own laundry! :D

lettie
03-04-06, 05:16 AM
What I do, instead of carrying all the clothes on hangers up the stairs, is put a certain amount of hangers in each closet. We got some special racks from the container store, and put one in each closet for hangers. That way, I can just stand right at the closet and put the clothes where they belong....that's what I do..for whatever that's worth

chloe516
03-04-06, 11:36 AM
I do the same thing as lettie. I also don't put much in drawers, it takes too much time to fold. From the dryer, I put all of my clothes in the hamper and then bring it to my room and hang it up. It's a great motivator to put them away before they wrinkle!!;)

Lunacie
03-13-06, 06:14 PM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif I hang up everything except undies too. I even bought a tie rack that hangs in the closet to hang all my nighties on. I have trained myself to keep one section of the closet rod free for empty hangers and every time I take something off a hanger, the hanger gets hung in that section, all together. My laundry room is too small to hang up the clothes in there as they come out of the dryer. I loosely fold them into the laundry basket and take it to my room as soon as I'm finished and hang those things up right away. I've gotten pretty good about doing that. My daughter and granddaughters live with me and so we each need to get our laundry out of the way as soon as we're done so someone else can use the washer and dryer. My granddaughter is only 8 and it's a struggle to get her to put away the laundry when she takes it out of the dryer. Any suggestions for that?

minn306
03-13-06, 06:19 PM
What I do, instead of carrying all the clothes on hangers up the stairs, is put a certain amount of hangers in each closet. We got some special racks from the container store, and put one in each closet for hangers. That way, I can just stand right at the closet and put the clothes where they belong....that's what I do..for whatever that's worth
That is a GREAT idea. When I first posted this, I should have stated that our laundry room is in the basement so I have to go up 2 flights of stairs to put things away.

I like the idea of just keeping the hangers in the closet(it is a chore to get the kids to bring them down anyways) and maybe bringing the clothes to the hangers!

ADDitives
04-26-06, 09:08 AM
yes,that it what i do. And i TRY to keep the empty hangers separate but every once in a while they disappear and i end up finding hundreds in between the clothes.

my sister does it differntly... she keeps the hangers in the cupboard with the clothes, but when she does her ironing she bring the hangers to the ironing board and hangs them off the side as she goes.

i just hang mine over chairs or the table or whatever i can, until i've done it all.

Moody Blonde
04-27-06, 12:40 PM
Take them to an alterations person, tailor or seamstress. They are always in need of hangers!