View Full Version : New- How do I get help?

Gracie31
01-22-06, 06:54 PM
I am a 20 year old college student and it just sort of hit me that I have ADD. It all makes sense now, why I never lived up to everyone else's or my own expectations in school (my grades did not match my intelligence at all), why I blurt things out without thinking only for people to call me out or me to regret it a second later, why I freak out for no reason, assume things that I shouldn't, why every time I watch a movie I've seen a bunch of times it's like I'm watching it for the first time, why I can't recall things when put on the spot, why I felt much more in control when I smoked pot (which I quit doing). I am organized (relatively) in my belongings, although my school work gets a little crazy sometimes; but I feel disorganized in my head. My boss would give me a project at work and it would be a big mess until the very end. Disorder only becomes order when I'm finished. I procrastinate a lot (like right now). I start fights with my boyfriend for no reason really.

I want help, I need it. My mom was always 200 times better when she was on Ritilan for her ADD. I see myself turning into her!!!! I don't want that to happen.

I'm scared to ask a doctor, they'll think I'm self diagnosing and that I'm stupid. (my confidence is shot too). Who do I ask? How do I ask? I feel so alone. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

amiegrace
01-22-06, 07:25 PM
My first suggestion would be to check out a couple of books from the library. Some of the better ones are "Driven to Distraction" by Ed Hallowell and "Women and ADD" by Sari Solden. There are several checklists on the internet that will help you assess your level of ADD and how impaired you are by it.

If your mother has been prescribed Ritalin for ADD, a psychiatrist would most likely give that credence as far as you having ADD also -- it is, after all, a heritable disorder. Don't feel like you have to explain everything. Look in the DSM-IV for the diagnostic criteria that the shrink will be using.

Also, if you are in school you may want to consider going to academic services and discussing the possibility that you do have ADD, and finding out what kind of allowances they will make for you due to that.

Best wishes!

meadd823
01-23-06, 07:02 AM
I'm scared to ask a doctor, they'll think I'm self diagnosing and that I'm stupid. (my confidence is shot too). Who do I ask? How do I ask? I feel so alone. Any suggestions?

The fact you have a parent who has ADD greatly increases the chances of you having it. Any doctor with a little knowledge about ADD should know this.

I do not know if this will help perhaps taking on on-line adult screener test thingie, then printing it out and taking it with you to your doctor's appointment will help break the ice so to speak.

Here is a hyperlink to one I found on-line.

http://www.adultadd.com/2_2_recognizing/screener.jsp

Stanzen posted the (DSM-IV-TR) diagnostic criteria----this DSMV thing is like psychologist “Bible”...definitely worth a read.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23276

If you want to get on medications (legally) for ADD a doctor has to enter the picture some time, some where, some how!!!!

Hope this helps!