View Full Version : Dry walls

EYEFORGOT
01-24-06, 05:25 PM
I've fixed some holes in the walls (don't ask how they got there, you don't want to know) and I painted. I can live with it, the longer you're here the more you don't notice...unless it's an especially bad day and then nothing is right.

Problem, we are very likely selling the house. I'm the handy person in the house, so it's up to me. How big of an obviously patched wall is too much? How do you fix it? How much would it bother you to buy the house even if everything else is in very good condition...and we just put up vinyl siding.

Be honest, no matter how painful the truth is.

pembroke
01-24-06, 05:57 PM
a friend patched a largish hole in her drywall (after her husband repeatedly "forgot") by putting chicken wire behind it (she wedged it into the hole so it was flat but held) and then plastered over it.

i am a perfectionist. if i were buying a house, i would want at least major things to be in good repair. my husband, on the other hand, is a big fan of the fixer-upper. (UGH!) he would probably not even notice the holes in the wall.

and a lot of people buy houses with the intention of changing some things (floors, walls, etc.) any way.

i would probably ask a realtor to give it a quick look, should you know any who would do that for free, or maybe with the understanding that they would be the one to the listing when it's time.

speedo
01-24-06, 07:11 PM
Small holes can be patched by stuffing wadded up newspaper into the hole and platering over it. You will need several coats and some sanding...

ME :D

barbyma
01-24-06, 08:09 PM
Joint compound and tape are wonder-materials.

There are all kinds of patches you can buy for holes up to about 10" in diameter. Beyond that, you should cut a piece of drywall.

EYEFORGOT
01-24-06, 08:19 PM
I did the patch jobs already. They're just not flush with the wall. I sanded and sanded but you can completely tell there's a patch. Proper lighting and well-placed pictures do wonders.

Just unsure if the patch is enough, or if the patch look would deter a buyer. Don't know how to make a patch look better other than somehow replacing the sheetrock.

Ian
01-25-06, 03:36 PM
In my experience the chicken wire type support is a must to make the job flawless. There must be a mechanical support in order to create a perfect finish.

I've just finished the guest house and there was a mess of mudding to do in there so the troubles are all fresh in my mind. :D

Here's a decent guide if you haven't seen it already.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4150_patch-hole-drywall.html

There are different grades of compound. Some with glue in them that help in the early coats. Patience to allow for proper drying is important. Making certain that the edges of the wound are hammered back below the wall surface is important. I hate to admit it, but I love working with drywall.
Yikes!

It's not uncommon to have the fine coating of patch mud extend 18" or more around the edge of the hole as you try and blend the patch smoothly into the wall.

Pictures? ;)

pembroke
01-25-06, 03:39 PM
ian, you shouldn't mention such things. have i got a job for you! we have 2 rooms that need paneling removed and drywall installed. need a job? :D

Ian
01-25-06, 03:55 PM
My wife has a life time of work set aside to keep the likes of you at bay. :D
Overworked and under paid. heehh

barbyma
01-25-06, 04:39 PM
There are different grades of compound. Some with glue in them that help in the early coats. Patience to allow for proper drying is important.
I learned this lesson the hard way!!

too_many_meds
01-26-06, 11:18 AM
Since moving into an 80 year old house last year, I've had to do quite a bit of wall patching. It took a while to get it right. Spackling is just something that takes practice. We hired this 70 year old guy to do some of the patching for us who was amazing to watch. He could patch just about anything flawlessly with one swipe of his spackle knife. No sanding needed. For those of us with less experience, the trick is to build it up in layers. Apply one layer at full strength to fill in the hole. This will shrink when it dries. Thin the compound a little bit with some water and apply very thin coats with a wide taping knife, sanding in between coats to remove any tool marks. A sanding sponge can help keep the dust down. Be sure to spackle an area much larger than the hole so the wall still looks flat. Dilute the spackle a little more for each coat. The last coat should have an almost milk-like consistency. Take your time and you wont have to do much sanding. Covering it with an oil-based primer before painting will also help it blend better.

EYEFORGOT
01-26-06, 11:24 AM
Ok, I like these ideas. Is there a good knife to use in cutting out my hole or evening one up?

meadd823
01-27-06, 05:37 AM
Paneling even if itís just one wall or the bottom only, or maybe a mural would be my direction!!!! Coats, spackling, layers...lions tiger and bears oh my!!!!!

Nucking_Futs
01-27-06, 08:37 AM
I had the same problem at a loss I painted the room a slightly darker color and you couldn't even see the patch unless you stuck your face up against the wall.

alkoz
02-13-06, 04:46 AM
I too used to have recurring holes in my drywall. Now that I have my thinking under control, they don't happen anymore.

I got pretty good at fixing those holes. I would cut out a square just over the size of the fist(oops) hole. Then I cut a square of drywall that would just fit in the hole. On the backside of the hole in wall, I would screw(from the front) a small piece of wood that would support the back of the square that I'm putting it. When it's done, it looks like a square with a small groove around it and a few screw holes. Fill in the holes with spackle and smooth with a wet sponge after it dries. Works pretty well.

Al

madd
02-18-06, 05:58 PM
There are about a gazillion how-to books on such things. You don't even have to buy because your local library probably has alot. You could probably find a dozen small jobs like patching plaster, painting, fixing plumbing leaks, replacing electrical fixtures, etc., that you could do in a week and really get your house ready to sell.