View Full Version : Therapists in Vancouver

wheresmykeys
01-27-06, 02:04 AM
Does anyone know of good therapist in Vancouver, BC?
I may be on the lookout in the near future, I'm not sure where to look or how to know who's good.
Also, does anyone see Gabor Mate?

INaBOX
05-12-06, 01:32 AM
What kind of therapist are you looking for? I'll pm you.

bcaddkid
05-12-06, 01:57 AM
Gabor Mate hasn't been seeing ADHD patients in quite some time, but then this is 2 years old, so...ya.

INaBOX, who are you thinking of?

addinbc
05-12-06, 02:02 AM
Hi guys...

I'd like to know too! If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

INaBOX
05-12-06, 02:22 AM
Well I'd need to know what therapist s/he's looking for first.

ADDCoach4u
07-11-06, 10:18 PM
I have a list that I email out of Physicians, Psychiatrists and Psychologists that are known to diagnose and treat ADD in the Vancouver area, not a recommended list or a referral list, just a list.

If you're interested go here and read this

http://www.addcoach4u.com/vancouver/vancouverbcareadiagnosis.html

and email me.

If you know of anyone that should be added to the list please let me know

Unfortunately Gabor Mate is not seeing ADD patients at this time.

Pete

Luthien
07-11-07, 02:05 AM
I am going to make an appointment with Dr Gabor Mate. My counselor recommended him. I also read his book "Shattered Minds". Since it is the first book I read about ADD I cannot really say too much about it - except that he seems to concentrate on the problematic side of ADD, and that his ideas about the mechanisms of how ADD comes about (a mix of heriditary traits and early childhood experiences) does not seem to be shared by all. It did make quite an impression on me though.

Peace
Maike

Luthien
07-11-07, 02:27 PM
Oh. It is said that he does not take ADD-ers anymore ... I'll just wait and see what he's going to tell me then. He's going to call me back.

Imnapl
07-11-07, 03:04 PM
that his ideas about the mechanisms of how ADD comes about (a mix of heriditary traits and early childhood experiences) does not seem to be shared by all.It is just a theory - still unproven. I disagree with the theory as I know several people who were born during WWII in Europe under circumstances just as Dr. Mate has described as contributing to the development of ADHD. NON of them show signs of ADHD.

Luthien
07-12-07, 05:29 PM
Yeah. In science it should work like that ... propose a theory that fits the facts. if it does, fine ... if it doesn't, find something better. The fact that it may fit a subset of cases does indeed not make it a good theory. It should be falsified.

Imnapl
07-13-07, 01:12 AM
Well, forming theories is what makes the world go round. We just have to learn as much as we can from everyone and come up with our own conclusions.

Slowpoke
09-12-07, 04:13 AM
hey all, just poking around...

some unfortunate news... the Adult ADHD Clinic at CHildren's and Women's Hospital in Vancouver is discontinuing... lack of funding. How ironic is that? The kids grow up to be adults don't they?

I was lucky to have gotten in to see the "expert" on ADHD medicating and a psychologist, but just for a medication consult. THat's when I got the sad news of the clinic closing to adults.

I used to see someone in Richmond, a GP who has a "special interest" in adults who have ADHD. If anyone wants the name, message me. I'm not sure if he's taking more clients though.

I myself tried to start an ADHD support group at UBC, but HAHAHAHA... you guessed it! COuldn't get organized with the other guy. I just find that hilarious.

I've done a lot of looking around, and seem to have good luck with finding resources for people for some reason... so if anyone has any questions, feel free.

Good luck!
it's been a while since this question was first posted, so I'm hoping things worked out?

Luthien
09-18-07, 10:37 PM
However Dr Mate mailed me that I could call him and he "would get back to me" he has never done so ... I suppose he was too busy. Anyway, I found a psychiatrist in Victoria who is pretty good, friendly and knowledgeable about ADD. Saved me some BC Ferries fares as well :)
No waiting, I could see her within two weeks of being referred.
If anyone is interested, message me.

Luthien
09-18-07, 10:42 PM
It is just a theory - still unproven. I disagree with the theory as I know several people who were born during WWII in Europe under circumstances just as Dr. Mate has described as contributing to the development of ADHD. NON of them show signs of ADHD.Now I know a bit more, have read more books, spoken to lots of other ADD'ers ... I tend to agree with you.

Imnapl
09-18-07, 10:54 PM
Victoria is one of my favourite places in B.C. That's too bad about the adult ADHD clinic closing in Vancouver. Lack of funding? Please remind me of this during the next election campaign. The premier was in town today for the completion of an addition and renovations to our hospital. Now, if we can just get doctors before they close it down.

daniellealysa
10-03-08, 05:20 PM
Hi - I notice it has been a while since this thread was active. Does anybody out there have current information on adult ADD doctors, support groups, etc in the Vancouver area? I'm in Abbotsford. Thank you!

ADDCoach4u
10-04-08, 01:54 AM
On my ADD resource website, I have a info on a List of People known to Diagnose/Treat ADD medically in the Vancouver Area.

http://www.addcoach4u.com/vancouver/vancouverbcareadiagnosis.html

check it out and email me if you want the list.