View Full Version : Frustrated...

RushHour
01-27-06, 10:25 PM
Okay, so I'm a 33 year old male. I've struggled with ADD for a long time....barely coasting through HS and College. Now, it's affecting my work. I'm finally mature enought to confront this, so I have begun trying to seek help.

I met with a physician here in NYC. He tells me insurance will only cover these medications when a psychiatrist prescribes them (I have UnitedHealthCare). Has anyone else heard this?

I'm getting frustrated because I have insurance, I know I have a problem, but how do I find the help?? I'm mean seriously, I could find illegal drugs easier than this, and i'm trying to help myself.

Andrew
01-27-06, 10:33 PM
Insurance companies will sometimes question certain meds being prescribed when they are prescribed outside a doctor's expertise. Seeing a Psychiatrist should clear that up for you. Though its not unheard of a Family Doc prescribing ADD meds for kids, I'm not sure I've heard/read of a GP prescribing ADD Meds for someone. Of course, I could be wrong.

RushHour
01-27-06, 10:43 PM
Andrew,

Do you have any recommendations for a shrink in Manhattan? I work downtown and live on 22nd, but anywhere in Manhattan would be okay.

I'm seriously frustrated.

What do I say when I go to the shrink? I feel sort of awkward. I mean, put it this way: I'm 33 years old now and I'm pretty self-aware. However, it's a little strange to walk into a doctor's office and say, "this is what I have". But frankly, I know what my issue is.

Also, I'd like to keep as much as possible under insurance.

Can you give me any advice?

Andrew
01-27-06, 11:07 PM
Yes, I have a recommendation for you:

Dr. David Lifschutz
212-529-2733

611 Broadway, Suite 506
(cross is Houston St.)
NY, NY 10012

R,W Subway is 1 block away (Prince Street station).

========

Tell him what's bothering you...the symptoms you're noticing. Though it seems pretty obvious to you as to what you have, it won't be to Doc, until you share with him/her.