View Full Version : Non-toxic way of getting your stove CLEAN.

aneededchange
01-29-06, 06:26 PM
I know many of you have kiddos or pets ... and You HATE when it comes time to clean your stove. Lets face it - commercial cleaners make the whole house smell like a toxic waste dump ... not to mention can change the way your food tastes.

Want a cheaper non-toxic/smelly way to get it done? Found one.

All you need is:
Baking soda
Water
Patience

I do this the night before - that way the baking soda and water have time to work their magic.

You use enough baking soda to cover the bottom of your stove ... then sprinkle enough water to make the baking soda damp, but not enough to make everything sopping wet. Let set over night - this is where the patience comes in.

In the morning - scoop out the baking soda (I reuse it on the burner-thingies) into the trash and wipe clean. If it is a tough-caked-in-since-the-70's-kinda-mess more elbow grease is envolved *OR* more patience. Add some of the goop back on the spot and let sit for a few more hours and try again.

Cleaned my stove like a dream (which had not been cleaned in about 2 years *ick*).

I hope this helps.

If anyone wants more non-toxic cleaning tips - let me know.

- Ane

aneededchange
01-31-06, 12:35 AM
When a stain is fresh put a full kettle of water on the stove, then stretch the fabric over a pan in the sink. Once the water was boiling, pull a chair up to the sink, stand on it with the kettle in hand, and pour the boiling water over the stain from a height of three to four feet. This stain removing technique worked like magic!

If the stain is dry try soaking the red wine in white wine to bleach it out. Finally, cover the stain with a thick baking soda paste, leave it for a few hours keeping it moist by spraying it with water from a spray bottle. Wash as normal.

tetsuo76
02-09-06, 03:01 PM
For the microwave I use a bowl of water and sliced lemons. Once it's boiling for a while the lemon(mist) will start working on the grease etc. Afterward you just need to clean it out with a cleaning tissue. This might work on your stove as well ;-)

Scattered
02-09-06, 03:18 PM
Think I might try that on my stove -- thanks for the tip.:)

tetsuo76
02-09-06, 03:29 PM
Think I might try that on my stove -- thanks for the tip.:)
I do not know which one you are going to try. But is you are going to try out my tip. I'd like to remind you that you might need to do it a couple of times if your stove (microwave) is a 'grease disaster area'.

Good luck

meadd823
02-19-06, 01:24 AM
If the stain is dry try soaking the red wine in white wine to bleach it out. Finally, cover the stain with a thick baking soda paste, leave it for a few hours keeping it moist by spraying it with water from a spray bottle. Wash as normal.

Hmm I have never heard of this before, maybe because I do not drink wine......

When a stain is fresh put a full kettle of water on the stove, then stretch the fabric over a pan in the sink. Once the water was boiling, pull a chair up to the sink, stand on it with the kettle in hand, and pour the boiling water over the stain from a height of three to four feet. This stain removing technique worked like magic

Kind of an ADD way of removing stains huh??

I have always heard blood stains and tomato stains shouldn't be cleansed with hot water have you ever tried this technique with either of those...

For females, or females with ADHD kids I have found hydrogen peroxide works well at removing blood out of stuff. It does work best is the stain is still "fresh".....now an old rag had to be placed on the back side of the clothing while the hydrogen peroxide is poured (I use the cap to do this or all gets soaked) onto the stain......I let it sit and bubble for a few minutes.....takes a couple of times depending on the "freshness of the blood.....

If any one uses butadiene the hydrogen peroxide works well for these stains also......

Mom uses "clean" vegetable oil to remove may car fluid, grease, and dirty oils from cloths........I just have specific clothes I use when working on the car. The clothes can get stained and it doesn't matter. Thought I would throw it out there any way!!!!!

Icky calcium build up in toilet bowls and ideas there????

QueensU_girl
03-24-06, 12:42 PM
-HINT: Baking Soda and an old Toothbrush around grungy faucets
-Need deep cleaning/foaming action? Mix Baking Soda & Vinegar
-Boil burnt pots with water and salt/baking soda to remove burn material.
-Baking soda is mildly abrasive, so it is good for baked on residue.

-HINT: To get off hard, baked on stains -- wet a rag and lay it over the gunk, to pre-soften it b4 scrubbing.