View Full Version : Meds for controlling the impulse and sensory issues.

peaches629
01-30-06, 03:21 PM
My six year old has been diagnosed with ADHD/OCD/ODD and sensory defensiveness. Currently he is taking Strattera for the ADHD along with Clonodine to help him sleep at night. Right now our biggest challenge is getting his impulses under control. We are on a waiting list for a day treatment at MUSC but until then, I am hoping to find the right combo of meds.

Once he starts an impulsive behavior, there is no stopping him. Typically it is arguing or hitting. I firmly believe that the sensory issues are his main cause of frustration right now. I think that his senses get overloaded, he doesn't know how to express the difficulty he is having so he strikes, verbally or physically. He is in a first grade class with 19 other students so there is stimulation all of the time. He does really well in school but I can see it is starting to take its toll. We have put a 504 into place and have been working closely with his teacher.

We tried Concerta and Adderall, both make him overly emotional, and seem to increase his sensitivity to things that touch him. I read so much good and bad about the different drugs, I no longer believe any "experts" but would love to hear from real people.

Any suggestions or resources are appreciated!:confused:

Scattered
01-30-06, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the forums, Peaches! Sounds like you've got quite a challenging situation to deal with. I've done some reading that suggests that where ADHD and OCD are both present sometimes something to enhance serotonin levels is helpful for the OCD part as well as some of the aggression but your physician should definately be consulted before any medication or supplement is added (see John Ratey - Shadow Syndormes; Daniel Amen - Healing ADD). Regular physical exercise, several times a day at least is always a safe and usually helpful bet (3 or 4 times if possible). Hallowell and Ratey in Delivered from Distraction compare it to taking a dose of Ritalin and dose of Prozac holisitically. I know it definately makes a difference for me (I'm ADHD). There are also some great resources for Behavioral Management of ADD and ODD at www.addwarehouse.com (http://www.addwarehouse.com). I know Russel Barkley has some good material and others as well.

Scattered

Jay Jay
02-09-06, 08:06 AM
Our 10 yo son is High Functioning Autistic as well as severe ADHD. He had been on Concerta, but he was so impulsive in the AM before it started working, and had such awful rebounds in the evening, that we talked to the doctor about combining the Concerta with Strattera. We had seen some positive feedback on this combination before asking the doctor about it. He was a bit skeptical, but agreed to give it a try. After getting past the usual "weird out" period he always goes through when his meds are changed, there was a huge difference. His senory issues improved dramatically, and those awful rebound times evened out. After he stablized on this combo, we were even able to cut the Concerta in half. We tried stopping the Concerta altogether, but this child is not to be lived with when his impulsivity is not under control. As most boys do, he's been growing, and we are having to go up on the Concerta again. Since putting him on the Strattera combo, there is starting to be a lot more positive information, and I believe even some studies being done, about combining Strattera with a stimulant. If you end up needing to combine Strattera with an SSRI, you might want to consider Cymbalta as an alternative to both. It combines the medications from both types of drug, and has worked very well for me.
Keith

Matt S.
03-09-06, 12:47 PM
I have a severe impulse control problem and OCPD (the personality disorder-ritualistic behavior learned to correct rigid thinking) and i seem to function best on dexedrine i know it is the "older" of the stimulant drugs but adderall failed because i tended to hyperfocus to an obsessive nature about every little step to the simplest of problems and would tend to have panic-like reactions to my lack of adherence but with the impulsive features of my adhd (mouthiness and violence and agression problems) and other features hyperactivity etc. it seems to subdue it the best and as an adult with adhd it can be humiliating to just make snap decisions and not be able to stop and think but even as a child the dexedrine was superior... some doctors aren't too optimistic about prescribing it due to the newer drugs and it's "street drug" reputation but a trial may not hurt .... strattera was a disaster for me on that note