View Full Version : L-Tyrosine!?

addinbc
01-30-06, 11:51 PM
Hello there;

Has anyone tried l-tyrosine for ADD and/or fatigue symptoms?

Please share your experiences.

Many thanks,:)
addinbc.

danf
05-29-06, 09:37 PM
I tried Tyrosine. I found it improved my memory and made me less scatter brained.

The downside was that it made me irritable and grumpy, so my partner made me stop taking it.

Scattered
05-29-06, 10:00 PM
I saw a study they did on it, and if memory serves they found its sometimes helped but the folks developed a tolerance to it several weeks into the study and it stopped having any positive effect.Scattered

orthomolecular
05-30-06, 10:15 AM
I tried Tyrosine. I found it improved my memory and made me less scatter brained.

The downside was that it made me irritable and grumpy, so my partner made me stop taking it.
I have read that taking too much tyrosine will cause you to feel irritable or angry. I tried some and found that it did that too me. I think some people may not need that much, depending on biochemistry and diet, perhaps.

It is supposed to make you feel more energized I think. But it may not have that effect on everyone and may lead to feeling easily angered instead. I

boardtabitz
05-30-06, 10:33 AM
This is what I found on Brainplace.com. I went looking for it when I read a post by someone that couldn't get their adderal right away. I can't find the post now. I got the L-tyrosine for my teen son when we were waiting for the appointment for his ADHD evaluation. So his use of it was only short term. The first day he took it my mom was helping me clean my garage and he came out to help. He talked our legs off. He mentioned that it was weird in that he didn't want to help work in the garage but for some reason the medicine made him not p*ssed off about it or mind it so much.

I found it at a health type store in the mall. It wasn't cheap.

Prefrontal cortex problems (typical ADD like symptoms)

People with PFC (prefrontal cortex problems) seem to have lower availability of the neurotransmitter dopamine. I frequently prescribe the amino acid L-tyrosine in doses of 500-1500mg two to three times a day for adults and 100-500mg two to three times a day for children under 10. L-tyrosine is the amino acid building block for dopamine. It is reported to increase the level of phenylethylamine (PEA), a mild stimulant that is found in high concentrations in chocolate. Many of my patients have reported that it is helpful for them. It is softer in its effect, but nonetheless they notice a positive effect. Because of absorption patterns I recommend that they take it on an empty stomach (a half-hour before meals or an hour after meals). I have not seen any side effects with L-tyrosine, except for mild weight loss. If there are cingulate problems, l-tyrosine by itself can increase the intensity of overfocused symptoms. Symptoms of tyrosine deficiency include hypothyroidism, low blood pressure, low body temperature (cold hands and feet), and restless leg syndrome.

Grape seed or pine bark extract has also shown some mild benefit for pfc issues. Grape seed or pine bark extract are proanthocyanidin compound. These compounds have been found to increase blood flow and they act as superantioxidants, 20-50 times as powerful as vitamin E. There are no published studies with grape seed or pine bark extract in ADD, but there are a number of published case reports. There is a body of medical literature that says these compounds are very helpful for people with varicose veins. If you have ADD and varicose veins then grape seed or pine bark extract may be for you.

Scattered
05-30-06, 02:02 PM
I'm glad it helped until you could get into see the doctor. Scattered

boardtabitz
05-30-06, 02:09 PM
Dr. Amen said that at Brainplace.com http://amenclinics.com/bp/

http://amenclinics.com/bp/articles.php?articleID=10 for the specific article

i think you may have read my response wrong.

Scattered
05-30-06, 02:17 PM
I did!:rolleyes: I must have been editing my response while you were responding -- sorry!

Scattered

boardtabitz
05-30-06, 02:33 PM
No I suspect it is an ADHD trait. I have to be really careful when I get offended by posts to go back and read it again because I do that so much.

Even when answering you I had to go back and double check twice that you were speaking to me and not another post. Even then I didn't read it thoroughly enough to be 100% but then that old impulsive part of jumping in took over.

I wasn't offended by your post - i was just using that as an example.

Scattered
05-30-06, 02:39 PM
Yep definately an ADHD thing --- thanks for clarifying anyway.:)