View Full Version : how to get add boyfriend to eat fruits / vegetables? any creative ideas?

ADDitives
01-31-06, 05:03 AM
If you know me you'll know I'm an add person , who has an add boyfriend.

He doenst eat vegetables (except mashed potato or his mum's famous 'potato dish', and he will eat peas and carrots). He won't eat tomatoes, anything green and leafy,

Does anyone have any creative recipe/ preparation ideas that could encourage him to eat these things? I will be cooking for him most of the time in 2 years' time. The worry is that his motto about fruit and vegetables is

"that is what food eats".

Any help?

QueensU_girl
01-31-06, 09:07 PM
Plant based diets have been repeatedly linked to healthier living and better outcomes. (eg dr. dean ornish, etc)

Send him to the PETA.org website. Maybe he'll give up meat, and haveta eat veggies. ;)

Emma

Walkiebits
02-19-07, 10:44 PM
What would sending him to a completely biased website do to encourage him to eat vegetables? I really don't think people should be using PETA as fuel to encourage people to eat more vegetables.

Also:
http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?Entry=2056

Vegetables and fruits are good for you. If thats not enough for him to eat them, you'll just have to try to introduce him to new vegetables and fruits.
My husband only eats grapes and green beans for his fruits and vegetables, but atleast its something.

lunaslobo
03-01-07, 08:57 AM
If you know me you'll know I'm an add person , who has an add boyfriend.

He doenst eat vegetables (except mashed potato or his mum's famous 'potato dish', and he will eat peas and carrots). He won't eat tomatoes, anything green and leafy,

Does anyone have any creative recipe/ preparation ideas that could encourage him to eat these things? I will be cooking for him most of the time in 2 years' time. The worry is that his motto about fruit and vegetables is

"that is what food eats".

Any help?how does he feel about cassaroles. now that is one way to hide lots of things in the main dish.

Honeybunnie8
12-06-07, 01:59 PM
There are some cook books out there for tricking children mostly into eating good food.
One book is called the :
(http://www.amazon.com/Sneaky-Chef-Strategies-Healthy-Favorite/dp/0762430753/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196963740&sr=8-1)
The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids Favorite Meals (http://www.amazon.com/Sneaky-Chef-Strategies-Healthy-Favorite/dp/0762430753/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196963740&sr=8-1)
another
(http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious/dp/B000UZNREG/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1196963740&sr=8-2)
Deceptively Delicious (http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious/dp/B000UZNREG/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1196963740&sr=8-2)

I have read good things about them. They are geared to kids but I have thought about getting one to try on my hubby.Worth a try anyhow.

Guest1
12-06-07, 04:37 PM
same here but i dont like them either we both have adhd

Zach326
12-06-07, 06:42 PM
I know this is not a recipe, but honestly i don't think doctoring up his vegetables to trick him in to eating them will work, if he does not desire a healthy life style...

If he has no interest in his personal health, he probably won't come around.

You could try pointing out that the human body is a finely tuned machine, each peice of which is entirely maintained through the materials we consume; If you eat poorly you will have poor energy levels / poor health.

Try to get him to focus on how he feels rather then the immediate benefit provided by the taste of the foods he likes. If he can look to long term gains over short term pleasure coupled with long term discomfort, maybe he will come around.

I can tell you that in today's world, if you are not educated properly on health, you will generaly fail to eat in a healthy manner.

The way products list there ingredients vs. serving size are mostly rigged to trick you in to thinking the food has health benefits when it probably doesn't.

For instance, a lot of items that would intuitively be considered one serving size, are listed as two. So the product you thought had 800 mg of salt, really has 1600mg of salt (due to the two servings).

Also, look out for sneaky ingrediants like HFC (high fructose corn syrup) and many other ingredients that most people probably never intended on consuming. HFC will make a product look healthy by reducing the sugar level, but HFC has been associated with certain health issues...

Bottom line is, try to be as informed as you can, so you can make informed decisions. If your b/f is not going to think in a logical manner he will most likely not arrive at logical conclusions and will make poor choices in life, including his diet.

Matt S.
12-06-07, 06:51 PM
One of those juicers might come in handy

FrazzleDazzle
12-06-07, 08:04 PM
Fruits are easy to get in as desserts, like low-sugar pies, cobblers, baked apples, homemade applesauce, pumpkin custard, oops thats a veg, fruit smoothies/slushies, etc.

Driver
12-06-07, 08:12 PM
Tacos, kebabs, wraps etc are a good way to use tomatoes and leafy greens in an edible way.

But as others have suggested, you can't force him to eat stuff he doesn't want to. But that said, you're cooking, so if he doesn't want to eat what you cooked him, he can cook himself (don't forget to hide his car keys & wallet too ;))

emilybemily
12-06-07, 09:38 PM
Here is my favorite way to sneak leafy greens into our diet:

Buy a head of Kale (it's a super-food!)
Wash it
Cram a bunch of leaves into the blender add some water and blend until it's thin, like soup, or a slurry. It will smell like fresh cut grass, and look like it too!
Then pour your Kale Slurry into ice cube trays.
Once frozen break out and put into zip lock bags (keeps it fresher)
Then anytime I cook a spaghetti dish or taco meat or any tomato based thing I pop 1-2 cubes in.
you can't taste it. And it's really wonderful nutrition!
Hope this is helpful.

Good luck!

Oh, sometimes it's helpful not to mention what you added! Otherwise they "think" they can taste it! Best to tell them after they are finished eating!

Driver
12-07-07, 12:13 AM
Oh, sometimes it's helpful not to mention what you added! Otherwise they "think" they can taste it! Best to tell them after they are finished eating!Oh to true! If my add'er watches me cook, she won't eat it. :)

Honeybunnie8
12-11-07, 06:31 PM
I ask my hubby to taste things and tell me if he likes it. I never tell him whats in it before hand or even after sometimes.
Like a dip I made the other day. I roasted garlic, onions, redpeppers and some cauliflower, put it in the blender and added cream cheese, salt, pepper and some hot sauce. He liked it and I still wont tell him whats in it. The cream cheese isnt exactuly healthy but all the other ingrediants he will not eat usually, so I figure its better then nothing.
I buy veggie chicken burgers or hotdogs and unless I tell him it's veggie he dosent know.

If he chose what we ate all the time it would be steak and potatoes, nothing green ever, so I have to kinda sneak it in. I would rather sneak it in, then him not eat anything good.

QueensU_girl
12-11-07, 08:25 PM
Some people blend them in to sauces, etc. Food processor works well for that.

kilted_scotsman
01-06-08, 05:16 PM
Take a really good look at his diet.....it's virtually impossible to have as restricted a diet as you describe...more restricted than vegan.

The ingredient lists should indicate that there's alot of "other stuff" in many common foods.

In addition...such an attitude rings alarm bells...... a guy who wants to eat what his mother cooked has one serious mother fixation.

A while ago I watched an off duty top flight chef make friends with a young (7 years) and indulged boy with a bad case of the foodfads. It was a joy to see. Over the course of the week in the hotel the kid changed from a food spitting nightmare to wanting to get into the kitchen at every opportunity.

It was obvious to both myself and the chef that the parental indulgence of the kid had resulted in him refusing to eat healthily. Ok so the chef was a seriously cool guy and the kid got to go into the hotel kitchen where no other kids were allowed...but the end result was dramatic.

This doesn't help you.....but there is no way I could live with anyone long term who had such a limited diet. If I had to cater for someone like that I'd expand the list of ingredients gradually and if he didn't eat them .....tough...eat up or ship out.

As a summer job I've been responsible for catering for some very faddy and unusual diets in often difficult circumstances....and lived close up with the individuals. In most cases the individuals had other unresolved issues in their lives and exerted control over others and "special" care through diet.

So in my view it's not a diet thing.......it's a power thing...... or he's just so unadventurous you might as well live with a log.

kilt

emeeap
06-27-11, 03:35 PM
With children the best approach is to keep serving healthy food and not make a big problem of them not eating it(thats the hard part). Sometimes serve their favorite how they like it, but only once a week or so.
That is what I would do with him if I were you. Maybe over time he starts to develop his taste, or maybe not. Maybe also Invite nice friends that like good food and cook for them and your boyfriend.